Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
I also noted the front glass, figure it is really thick Gorillas glass that is glued in. In fact nothing can be fixed and if the engines die, they just scrap the whole boat...

Ivey bought an Aston Martin. I'll bet most of the young people here would favor a McLaren or swoopy kit-car looking super car. Ivey probably loves Job's yacht, yet many here would like one of those Russian billionaire yachts with wings.

Bet that Job's boat is more livable too, nicer to be on and probably good at sea. Not as fast though. It is a Mediteranean cruiser for old money, not a narco boat for the temporarily rich.

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
I watched the video of it but it's shot from very far away and the long focal length of the lens may visually compress the dimensions enough to not accurately represent the ship.

I'm confident that it looks much more impressive when your standing close to it, or on it, and was intended to be viewed that way.

Does anyone know of any other stills or video of the ship? The photos out there are all the same as we've seen here.

Konrad

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2009
Bi-continental
Until you're in heavy seas and a wave comes over the bow and hits that glass window wall of the superstructure.

I've spent a lot of time on +50m yachts, and none of them have had any doors facing forward (except for heavy steel waterproof hatches), and none of them have had vertical walls of glass that would take the full force of the waves.

There's a reason most super-yachts have a streamlined look. It's so that they'll stay afloat.

I am not sure where do you see forward facing doors? As glass goes you are fantasizing where tall structures should also eliminate this component. Talk to a structural engineer.

Konrad

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2009
Bi-continental
Or you know, beauty is subjective and what you might find gorgeous other people find butt ugly... You may even find stuff gorgeous that most people find butt ugly.

but nah, everyone thinks like you do and will totally like everything you do and hate everything you do. If they don't they just don't know better and just haven't seen it in the right light, right? ;)

And for the record, I find it butt ugly but I like more streamlined designs. That thing looks too abrupt and like some one just drew some rectangles and said that was it, no thought into making lines blend or making some interesting angles and/or curves. I hate the mac dashboard, if it is going to run windows anyways he should have used a PC that would integrate better into the dashboard and not look like some one got lazy and just stuck a bunch of computers/monitors on top the dashboard. And I agree with a recent post above, it looks very Ikea like, and that's not a compliment (cheap furniture that looks great when you are first moving out but in general looks cheap as you get older and wiser).

It just doesn't even look well thought out. I won't say it wasn't cause maybe some one did put a lot of time but the look just comes off as lazy design even if it wasn't. And ugly on top.

I only subscribe to nice, what you call, butts. If possible, evaluate the product live before you pass any judgment, otherwise observe silence.

----------

Fairly sure I saw this in the video.

It is like claiming that an iPhone has a huge rectangular hole in its center. The front has a beautiful stainless bow which apparently has had an trompe l'oeil effect on your brain.

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
It is like claiming that an iPhone has a huge rectangular hole in its center. The front has a beautiful stainless bow which apparently has had an trompe l'oeil effect on your brain.

Wow... totally uncalled for comment. Watch this video and see the doors at 00:30.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mUp1PP98uU&feature=youtu.be

Sorry if the reality offends you, please take your rudeness out on someone else. Apology is in order. What say ye?

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I am not sure where do you see forward facing doors? As glass goes you are fantasizing where tall structures should also eliminate this component. Talk to a structural engineer.

The doors are clearly pointed out.

Tall structures have steel frames with a curtain of glass, and don't need to withstand walls of water hitting them at 30 knots.

Here's a photo of a yacht that I've spent about a month on - note the raised bow to break the waves, and backswept superstructure and windows to deflect the water that does break over the bow.

Sun-Dancer-II.jpg

(click to enlarge)

On the main deck, there aren't even any windows facing front....

Sun_Dancer_at_Dock2.jpg

(click to enlarge)

Last edited:

Konrad

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2009
Bi-continental
The doors are clearly pointed out.

Tall structures have steel frames with a curtain of glass, and don't need to withstand walls of water hitting them at 30 knots.

Here's a photo of a yacht that I've spent about a month on - note the raised bow to break the waves, and backswept superstructure and windows to deflect the water that does break over the bow.

Sun-Dancer-II.jpg

(click to enlarge)

On the main deck, there aren't even any windows facing front....

Sun_Dancer_at_Dock2.jpg

(click to enlarge)
I can only remain humorous in light of this absurd comparison. If you want me to test haute couture against a fat woman coming out of Sears, I will not do it. I can simply advise you to personally inspect the vessel. Next time give me at least a Lürssen in lieu of what looks like Catalina Express.

----------

Sorry if the reality offends you, please take your rudeness out on someone else. Apology is in order. What say ye?
I welcome reality. Nothing offends me, thus there will be no apologies. Understood!?

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
Would you be satisfied for doing a job and getting 2/3 of what you were supposed to be paid instead of the full amount? And especially if the amount was over $3 million?

I have actually been in that situation but decided not to burden the bereaved (though it was a tad less than $3m).

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I can only remain humorous in light of this absurd comparison. If you want me to test haute couture against a fat woman coming out of Sears, I will not do it.

The point is seaworthiness, not haute couture.

It's humourous that you'd consider potentially life-threatening design decisions in the same vein as haute couture.

And incidentally, I found the inspiration for Laurene's yacht at the Marina du Soleil in Mandelieu.

vign526_Restaurant.JPG

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
I welcome reality. Nothing offends me, thus there will be no apologies. Understood!?

I guess you think it's ok for you to be wrong, then rude and then insulting. You did see the doors in the front, right? Yes? No?

And I certainly wouldn't want you as a guest at any parties, that is for certain. :eek:

----------

I'd love to see the interior. I have found a few videos, but are all exterior.

Konrad

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2009
Bi-continental
The point is seaworthiness, not haute couture.

It's humourous that you'd consider potentially life-threatening design decisions in the same vein as haute couture.

And incidentally, I found the inspiration for Laurene's yacht at the Marina du Soleil in Mandelieu.

What other life-treatening features besides the sliding doors and the numerous bidets have you identified on this ship? With your logic and understanding of seaworthiness it is significant for this vessel to still remain afloat. Given the size of the ship, you are correct, Jobs envisioned fighting the roughest seas and waves reaching some 30 feet where indeed the sliding aluminum shower door so poorly installed on the bridge will be of detriment to all on board.

On a more serious note, this vessel despite its evident beauty looks somewhat sad today after Jobs death. Being on it it is all Steve without Steve, and some could wisely speculate for the item to soon change ownership or be all forgotten and disposed of.

----------

I guess you think it's ok for you to be wrong, then rude and then insulting. You did see the doors in the front, right? Yes? No?

And I certainly wouldn't want you as a guest at any parties, that is for certain. :eek:

----------

I'd love to see the interior. I have found a few videos, but are all exterior.
I am of course not wrong and what you read as insulting you should thank me for, as I presented you with reasonable free assessment of which you are incapable of.

Now, there is no need to be concerned about the door. You will be asked to use the pet slot or optionally to climb a window while amusing all present. I do not entertain party invitations from the net.

pnyc

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
I've seen this thing up close before it was completely finished. It's very impressive looking in person, the photos don't really do it justice. It's not for everyone, you have to like this particular style of design.

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
I am of course not wrong and what you read as insulting you should thank me for, as I presented you with reasonable free assessment of which you are incapable of.

Now, there is no need to be concerned about the door. You will be asked to use the pet slot or optionally to climb a window while amusing all present. I do not entertain party invitations from the net.

It wasn't a question of being concerned about the doors. You said the doors were not there, and that I was wrong about it. I said in the video that they were there.

You are 100% wrong, but your massively insecure ego won't allow you to acknowledge that, and must overcompensate with delusions of grandeur and superiority.

No need to respond, but I bet your massive ego won't be able to resist.

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
i've spent a lot of time on +50m yachts, and none of them have had any doors facing forward (except for heavy steel waterproof hatches)

i am not sure where do you see forward facing doors?

fairly sure i saw this in the video.

it is like claiming that an iphone has a huge rectangular hole in its center. The front has a beautiful stainless bow which apparently has had an trompe l'oeil effect on your brain.

wow... Totally uncalled for comment. Watch this video and see the doors at 00:30.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mup1pp98uu&feature=youtu.be

i welcome reality.

you did see the doors in the front, right? Yes? No?

i am of course not wrong and what you read as insulting you should thank me for, as i presented you with reasonable free assessment of which you are incapable of.

it wasn't a question of being concerned about the doors. You said the doors were not there, and that i was wrong about it. I said in the video that they were there.

The doors are in the video. I'm right, you're wrong. End of story.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
....Jobs envisioned fighting the roughest seas and waves reaching some 30 feet....

Jobs envisioned something that would look great in the yacht harbor at Cannes - not necessarily something seaworthy. (You know - form over function.)

And considering what you actually find at the yacht harbor at Cannes, all that glass doesn't give much privacy....

image_congres.jpg

But at least Cannes is cheap - only about $860 per day for mooring fees. Nearby Monaco is $1580/day and St. Tropez is $1700/day....

And "look great" is subjective - I'm with the many people who think that it's an eyesore.

Last edited:

EricBrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2005
That thing is fugly. Yikes. You'd think for that kind of money, you'd get something nice.

Konrad

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2009
Bi-continental
The doors are in the video. I'm right, you're wrong. End of story.

What video? What door? Kid, you keep seeing doors everywhere.

Well, it is also a good thing for some people not to have the money limiting them to the lament over how ugly everything is. The idea of a lack of privacy due to glass employment is equally ridiculous. What else will the populace invent to kill beauty?

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
Beautiful vessel. Perhaps some of you with a taste for a hamburger, off the mill 2x4 suburban house with a saturn in a garage, local mall lifestyle - if you have seen this ship live, you would pee in your size 42 bags and uncontrollably drool on your t-shirt with something equally stupid on it. Now, the only item missing on it is a 429, or an EC-145.

Que the "If you don't have the same tastes I do then you are an ignorant moron with bad taste because the world revolves around me" remarks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.