Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DarrenUK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
Southampton, UK
I am new to Mac and am in the process of setting up my new iMac and learning my way around it.

I have decided that with more and more passwords to remember that now is a good time to start using some sort of password manager.

I will need one that is good to sync/work with my Mac and iPad.

Which password managers are recommended here?

dmrowley

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2010
Dortches, NC
I am partial to LastPass, mostly due to my wife being a Windows holdout, and I do not need to buy a separate Windows or iPhone license, like you have to do with 1Password. It is a browser plugin for Safari/Chrome/Firefox, and a good iPhone/iPad app.

Have been using it for years, and I gladly pay the $20/yr for the LastPass/XMarks Premium subscription. XMarks syncs all of my bookmarks across iPhones, iPads, Macs, and Windows machines.

Construct your own password system then you never need to write anything down.

Some sites want passwords of eight characters, mixed alpha and numeric, at least one upper case character. So you could have a system where every password starts 'Qwsd98' and then has the first two characters of the website domain name. So for Macrumors it would be 'Qwsd98ma'.

If you wanted to be more random, always choose the character to the right of the domain name characters in which case it becomes 'Qwsd98,s'

Some sites want a non-alphanumeric in which case stick ! on the end.

Don't use 'Qwer' as at least one major site won't allow characters that are in a straight line.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
It looks to me so far from the links provided that 1password is a very popular choice.

Yep one of the reasons is that support provided by AgileBits for 1Password is excellent. If Apple makes a change to the OS that effects 1Password - The time for a fix can usually be measured in hours rather than days. One of the Dev's usually lurks on these forums and will even respond to users issues posted here. I really can't rate them high enough.

DarrenUK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
Southampton, UK
Thanks for the info guys,

Although a bit expensive i decided to go for 1password, i have been using it for an couple of hours now and must say I'm very happy with it so far.

Steve109

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
Leicester UK
My vote is 1Password, I'm in the same position having just moved over to mac.

I used to use Norton Identity Safe on my PC but for some reason we cannot get the mac version here in the UK, shame as its free and I could have imported all my old data over.

Unless of course anybody knows how I can get it ?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
My brother introduced LastPass to my mom and I a couple years ago, it's definitely the best one, in my opinion.

Complete rubbish and waste of my time and internet bandwidth.(On a limited internet connection)
Downloaded the App, was free from US store, had to change stores, downloaded it and tried to login, email address unknown, went to site and there they recommend NOT to make a new account and refer to the iPhone App, but there is no button to make a new Account.
So, made a new account online which is NOT recommended, then I tried to login on the iPhone but it tells me it is not free and I have to make a premium account, WTF.

So, waste of time, avoid such crap!!!!!

bgsnmky

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
You will get many different answers; I like 1password for Mac and iDevice; sync via local wifi or Dropbox.

Just curious...so you purchase the 1 pasword for the macs and then purchase the ios version for iphone and ipad.

How do they stay synced. You move the file to dropbox and then it does it automatically. ( i read about moving to dropbox) but I wasn't sure if that means they stay in sync.

ALSO, does the ios version of websites use the same login link.

Example..if I sign into something like amazon, or tripadvisor etc. on the mac and store the info and then I sign into my ipad...and it uses the iPad version of tripadvisor..will it still log me in.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Just curious...so you purchase the 1 pasword for the macs and then purchase the ios version for iphone and ipad.

How do they stay synced. You move the file to dropbox and then it does it automatically. ( i read about moving to dropbox) but I wasn't sure if that means they stay in sync.

Example..if I sign into something like amazon, or tripadvisor etc. on the mac and store the info and then I sign into my ipad...and it uses the iPad version of tripadvisor..will it still log me in.

Yes... the same link.

/Jim

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本

I can only answer the first part of your question: with my current version of the iOS app I sync via Wifi against my iMac. They see each other and perform the regular conflict resolution (automatic or manual); worked well for me in the past.

Dropbox I don't have yet used for sync two devices but given that WiFi in the new version is not supported anymore I will have to check that one soon.

For the last part of your question: I don't use the links; I retype the password manually. They are complex enough but still follow some pattern; but the pattern varies from service to service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.