Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
If you're doing it in a dark room, where the only light source is the ipad itself, it will of course cause the light sensor to pick up this light.

There's not really a way around that.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
have excellent vision and an eye for defects (i'm a quality engineer by profession). so my unit must not be affected.

however, my iPad 4 suffers from the dreaded heat problem that many had with their iPad 3's. i had an iPad 3 that i bought in October, and the Apple Store allowed me to return it for a store credit to pre-order an iPad 4. it just came yesterday and i've noticed that even on 1/3 brightness when browsing websites it gets very warm. on the left side - about midway down to the left bottom corner (in portrait mode).

i tried to play Metal Storm and it got so hot that my hands started sweating. my iPad 3 never got this hot so something must be wrong. since it's Thanksgiving i won't worry about it today, but tomorrow afternoon i will go into the Apple Store and show them the problem. i'll tell them to leave Metal Storm on for 5 minutes and see what i mean. it's as if i am putting my hand over the fan vent port on my laptop while i'm running Handbrake encoding

I would return it and get it replaced if during simple web browsing its getting warm. Maybe try a restore first.

Lets try and stay on topic in this thread and not get off track on other problems. Not trying to be rude by any means but this is the only thread about this issue that's gaining traction and there are many threads on heat issues.

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
Lets try and stay on topic in this thread and not get off track on other problems.

You are the one responding to a post from today claiming that "it's thanksgiving". I guess he copy/pasted it from some other thread.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
If you're doing it in a dark room, where the only light source is the ipad itself, it will of course cause the light sensor to pick up this light.

There's not really a way around that.

And getting back on topic quickly....

The light sensor is irrelevant, and not part of the problem.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
Many LCD HDTVs do the same thing with the backlight. It's s way of gaining dynamic range for the display.

bteam

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
It's something to do with dynamic contrast control, but it's completely broken (and I have a lot of products with contrast control/dynamic irises etc).

I tested a few weeks ago didn't have a problem with the Apple trailer for the Dark Knight Rises. Today I noticed it while watching the movie. Shows from Netflix don't have this problem.

My old LCD TV has this same "feature" but I can turn it off.

All Apple has to do is disable this useless feature and it's fixed.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Could you try this brief clip? Just pause it anywhere in fullscreen and hide the interface. The yellow car should noticeably shift in color within a second or two.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fx3t28i3nx5kkj7/sample.mp4

Will look something like below if your ipad has this issue.
ImageImage

Thank you, using your video I can see (barely) what the issue is ... but if you call this "a problem" I'm not with you.
I'm quite sure is software related, but I don't know how this issue could affect the use of your iPad.

Thank you again for the link.

uncore

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2012
Thank you, using your video I can see (barely) what the issue is ... but if you call this "a problem" I'm not with you.
I'm quite sure is software related, but I don't know how this issue could affect the use of your iPad.

His example is not the best one; however it IS a problem. If you watch a movie, you are unable to read the notifications(banners) since they are just too white to be readable. That is what I call the issue :mad:

edwrap

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2012

Hey, if the yellow car can change that much from how it's supposed to look and it doesn't bother you (or you can barely see it), then I don't know what to say really.

Then again, a lot of people watch SD channels on their HDTVs set to torch mode, and are perfectly fine with that too.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
His example is not the best one; however it IS a problem. If you watch a movie, you are unable to read the notifications(banners) since they are just too white to be readable. That is what I call the issue :mad:

I actually watch movies, and I can read anything ... So for my it's not a real problem, just a strange behavior ....

----------

Hey, if the yellow car can change that much from how it's supposed to look and it doesn't bother you (or you can barely see it), then I don't know what to say really.

Then again, a lot of people watch SD channels on their HDTVs set to torch mode, and are perfectly fine with that too.

The yellow car doesn't change that much. Quite the contrary, it is barely noticeable ...

JP2012

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2012

Are you sure? On my iPad 4, the yellow car turns grey/white and the lines of the car just vanish..

HabSonic

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2011
Canada
Just found this thread. My iPad does this all the time when I'm watching Heroes. It is becoming annoying. I might visit the Apple Store early January.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Just found this thread. My iPad does this all the time when I'm watching Heroes. It is becoming annoying. I might visit the Apple Store early January.

Dont bother going there. This affects all iPad 4 models, so your replacement would have the same problem. Just wait to see if its fixed in iOS 6.1 which will probably drop in January.

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011
This thread is still going :confused:
People have a right to expect a lot from an expensive product, but this is taking it too far.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
This thread is still going :confused:
People have a right to expect a lot from an expensive product, but this is taking it too far.

That is your opinion. I no longer use my iPad 4 for movie-watching because the contrast adjustment is so unbelievably distracting. I, and many others, do not think this is "taking it too far." I simply prefer to use my Vaio Z2 for movies because the iPad 4 has issues! I suggest you respect our opinion, too. :)

luigi408

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2008
I have had the ipad 4 since launch but I really never used it for watching movies yet until tonight. I used Air Video to steam my movies from my server and I noticed the contrast change. Very distracting and irritating. It's a huge problem for sure. I cannot stand watching not even one movie or tv show. What a disappointment. If I would of caught this right away I would have returned it and waited for something else.

Mishimal

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2012
I encounter the same problem with my iPad 4 that I bought last Sunday here in Tokyo. Very irritating when I bought it just for watching movies/TV when travelling. Is there any hope this can be fixed in future iOS updates?

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
I encounter the same problem with my iPad 4 that I bought last Sunday here in Tokyo. Very irritating when I bought it just for watching movies/TV when travelling. Is there any hope this can be fixed in future iOS updates?

Thats the $64,000 question! No one has yet to test it with 6.1 beta 4 that just came out. If anyone out there could do that, please and thank you.

edwrap

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2012
Another egregious example of the video "enhancement" looking absolutely terrible:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a7ookpf8b83e78c/example2.mp4

Fullscreen / pause, hide interface.

Also, does nobody at Apple with an iPad 4 watch Walking Dead? Examples as bad as the above are fairly rare, but I was catching up on season 3 recently and this show, with all of its dark scenes and already low saturation look, just gets repeatedly mangled by the 4.

gibradford

Dec 7, 2012
Another egregious example of the video "enhancement" looking absolutely terrible:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a7ookpf8b83e78c/example2.mp4

Fullscreen / pause, hide interface.

Also, does nobody at Apple with an iPad 4 watch Walking Dead? Examples as bad as the above are fairly rare, but I was catching up on season 3 recently and this show, with all of its dark scenes and already low saturation look, just gets repeatedly mangled by the 4.

The exact show that I noticed the issue on! It was so evident watching it in my darkened room one evening that I had to turn it off, it was beginning to give me a headache. Went to the apple store a few days later to discuss the issue with a "genius" , boy, was that a mistake. Despite it being slightly harder to see under the bright lights of an apple store, both me and my partner could still notice it. The first genius I showed it to acted as though I was making it up. The second admitted to noticing it and fed me some baloney about it being "just the auto brightness feature" :confused: talk about patronising...

PattyMc

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
I can't replicate this on my Ipad 4th gen, 16gb wifi, 6.0.1, I tried and even watched several different movie trailers, was not having any issues. I have noticed that my new Ipad has a very cool white screen, not the warmer color most seemed to have in the past, I wonder if this makes a difference. My brightness level is very bright, only have to leave it about 1/4 way up too. I know displays vary but am happy that mine has the cooler temp vs the warmer ones.

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
I can now confirm after more than 30 days of watching tv shows and movies on my ipad 4, I do NOT have that flickering brightness issue. I do have that strange contrast returning to normal issue but it does not bother me one bit.

I've watched the dark knight rises bluray rip on my ipad 4 a total of 3 times now and I do not see anywhere in the movie any of the "flickering" issues.

I'm running 6.0.1 my ipad 4 was built in september, foxconn shenzhen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.