Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KimHansenDK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
I just got myself the brand new and maxed out MacBook Air 13" 2012. And damn this machine is a beast :)

But I have just noticed that when I scroll the text and vertical lines on the screen tend to flicker a little and it is driving me crazy. Is this normal?

If you do a google search and you try scrolling the vertical line just above the search results flicker when you scroll (try scrolling slowly) Also the text flickers a little. In Facebook you can see it on the comment/like part underneath a status (the icons).

Do you guys experience this? Or do I need to take it back??

jena55

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2009
I just got myself the brand new and maxed out MacBook Air 13" 2012. And damn this machine is a beast :)

But I have just noticed that when I scroll the text and vertical lines on the screen tend to flicker a little and it is driving me crazy. Is this normal?

If you do a google search and you try scrolling the vertical line just above the search results flicker when you scroll (try scrolling slowly) Also the text flickers a little. In Facebook you can see it on the comment/like part underneath a status (the icons).

It is very subtle, but I have noticed it. Not enough to make me think something is really wrong or to take it back though. I figured it might have something to do with the screen brightness or something.

Nerio27

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2012

I notice screen tearing when viewing pages with a lot of text, forum posts being the most common. From what I've read, this is a very common issue.

asting

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2012
I have noticed too on this screen. Strange, none of my other computers or screens have this problem...

asting

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2012
This doesn't happen with my 11 top of the line 2012 air....
I5 problem??? Low video memory

Not likely. I have 8gb of ram, so more of it is dedicated as vram.
It's more probably an issue of eye sensitivity. When lcd monitors were becoming popular response time was the big topic, as some could notice ghosting at 15ms while for others it looked just fine. Perhaps this is like that (refresh rate is the same way).

MacBird

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2010
Are you talking about the web browser or all programs? If browser, you should see an improvement with Mountain Lion and Safari. Firefox scrolling does not look nearly as smooth.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
Just got a 2012 13" i5, 4GB MBA and I have the flicker problem. First 2 days of use and my eyes felt sore, I guess I'm getting used to it but my eyes do still feel a bit strained.

Would Apple do a replacement for this issue or are all laptops supposed to be like this? :S

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
Do we know if these happens on both the Samsung and LG panels or are they happening on one of these only?

LCD's flicker when scrolling due to their slow response times. But how bad is it? That's the issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.