Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kingc0bra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 27, 2012
My gf still has her first iphone collecting dust, do you guys see this as becoming a collectors? I believe one day it may be since it is the first gen, im sure they didn't make as many back then as now...

The screen is broken but I'm not going to replace that, just keep it original for now..

What do you guys think?

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
My gf still has her first iphone collecting dust, do you guys see this as becoming a collectors? I believe one day it may be since it is the first gen, im sure they didn't make as many back then as now...

The screen is broken but I'm not going to replace that, just keep it original for now..

What do you guys think?

The screen is broken, so no.

It would have to be still sealed in its box, intact, and in mint condition to be worth something more than the used price on eBay. You'll be hanging on to it for 10 more years before people start wanting it too.

kingc0bra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 27, 2012
Thanks, ill def be keeping it for a long time instead of selling it for $10-20...

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
Probably in a decade or so. iPods are definitely a collector's item because there's so many models and variants in the iPod family -- and iPods are a lot cheaper than other Apple products.

But I could see iPhones being a collector's item once the premiums on their prices have dropped. My friend collects iPods, iPhones, iPads, and Apple peripherals which is pretty neat.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
You need to at least fix the screen an get it in working order. We collectors tend to not go for broken items, especially for something as common as an Apple iPhone.

CIB (Complete In Box) would be worth more, but just the phone would appeal to someone who just "wants one - any one" for a reasonable price for their collection...

pagansoul

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2006
Earth
I use mine as a remote. I have the original, 3GS, 4 and the current 5. For some reason I can't make myself sell off the older models. I think I'm a closet horder, resell value doesn't even come up in my thinking.

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2010
I'm wondering going forward with all these items with internal batteries how it will effect collecting?

Plugging in a old laptop is not too bad, but a phone or tablet seems different.

The internal batteries will run out, but will they leak over time too?

Reactions: 4Z8VF2J

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Not anytime soon. The first iMac sold like hotcakes, and it is hardly regarded as a collector's item now (I got mine for free and $10). I think the same will happen to the iPhone.

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
Oh heck yes.

Oh heck, no. Especially if it's not in exceptional condition. If it's broken it's 'worth' is in the spare parts, and will remain so for the future. Having said that I have a near mint 1st gen iPhone in original box with all accessories - purchased 4 years ago. And I've already noticed how prices have increased for the same model in similar condition.

glay78

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2010
I think it will, having a mint set and complete in box will definitely be a keeper

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.