Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stephw4488

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2012
I am a complete newbie at this stuff so please bear with me. But I installed Handbrake so I could transfer my DVDs into an MP4 file to put onto my iphone. I am having trouble with it- when it is finally done (after 4 hours or so), the mp4 file is around 6GB, which is huge.

Could a kind person please walk me through Handbrake step by step and tell me what I am doing wrong? I do not even have enough room for 1 movie on my phone!!

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
I am a complete newbie at this stuff so please bear with me. But I installed Handbrake so I could transfer my DVDs into an MP4 file to put onto my iphone. I am having trouble with it- when it is finally done (after 4 hours or so), the mp4 file is around 6GB, which is huge.

Could a kind person please walk me through Handbrake step by step and tell me what I am doing wrong? I do not even have enough room for 1 movie on my phone!!

Turn the quality settings down!

HandBrake Guide. Use "Constant Quality" set to the default 20. Or, use the "Devices" presets to pick your device. Don't pick "AppleTV 3" if you have an iPhone 3GS or below.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati

Open the preset toggle and use the built in preset for the iPhone and you will end up with a nice looking and much smaller file.

stephw4488

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2012
That is why I am confused. I chose iPhone 4 from the presets list and the file is still 6BG.

Does Handbrake not work on a DVD movie that I bought from the store?

stephw4488

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2012
K5U8j.jpg

----------

Oh god I never saw that checkbox for Large File Size.... do I need to uncheck that?

stephw4488

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2012
XzsoV.png

Here are my setting for "Options" as well. I should be choosing MP4 and not M4V, right?

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012

----------

Oh god I never saw that checkbox for Large File Size.... do I need to uncheck that?

The filesize of the resulting video is directly related to the Constant Quality setting chosen. By default the iPhone 4 setting should choose the correct resolution, and sets the CQ at 20. If this filesize is too big, try 25, if that ends up being too big, try 30.

If you'd rather just have a predictable filesize, set the Average Bitrate to something respectable (the default 2500 should be fine for viewing on your phone).

12%204:51%20PM.jpg

Good luck!

stephw4488

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2012
SO ANNOYED!!!!!!!!!!

Just tried to download it AGAIN and unclick the "Large File Size" box and the size is 6.04 GB.

I just am so frustrated at this point.

Does anyone have recs for other DVD to MP4 programs?

stephw4488

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2012
Thanks Dodge. I just studied and read up on this stuff. Using a bitrate calculator, I set it so the file size would be 1.5 GB, and the output was to use an average bitrate of 1751.

I'm at my wits end with this so hopefully it works. I'm leaving it to finish overnight. Right now it's at 266 MB around 15% :-/

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Thanks Dodge. I just studied and read up on this stuff. Using a bitrate calculator, I set it so the file size would be 1.5 GB, and the output was to use an average bitrate of 1751.

I'm at my wits end with this so hopefully it works. I'm leaving it to finish overnight. Right now it's at 266 MB around 15% :-/

Great! I was going to recommend the following bitrate calculator, but didn't want to confuse you with more numbers :)

http://www.3ivx.com/support/calculator/index.html

Technically, you should get a better video quality using the "Constant Quality" mode, but the filesize is hard to control, and it won't matter on a phone anyway. If you want to ensure a specific filesize, it looks like you're on the right path, good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.