Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
I had zero complaints or misgivings about my iPad until I held a mini. Now if only they made it lighter...well hot dog!

Same here, once I held a mini I started seriously thinking if the smaller screen is an okay trade off for the weight.

Thinner isn't really the issue , lighter is.

rhaezorblue

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2012
Looks like my 3rd gen ipad may be getting sold sooner than expected, or passed down. Insane how much the price has fallen though ($829 to about .. what, $500 on ebay?) Thinner and lighter would be most welcome. The iPad Mini is cool, but I want large screen. My idea of portable is: fits in my backpack for the trip to work...

mpgolfpro

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
IMO, the Ipad needs to lose the massive bezel around the edges and adopt the Mini design. I wish they would also lose the bezel on the top and bottom and eliminate the home button. Removing the top bezel might not be possible since the camera is there but Im sure they could at least make it a lot smaller. Id love to see tablets and phones that have a screen that goes all the way to the edge, on all 4 edges.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I love how everyone is getting worked up. You don't have to upgrade just because there is a new model.

In 2013 Apple will first release a retina iPad mini as slow as the iPad 3 and in late 2013 it will release a "3rd generation iPad mini" that is twice as fast!

----------

IMO, the Ipad needs to lose the massive bezel around the edges and adopt the Mini design. I wish they would also lose the bezel on the top and bottom and eliminate the home button. Removing the top bezel might not be possible since the camera is there but Im sure they could at least make it a lot smaller. Id love to see tablets and phones that have a screen that goes all the way to the edge, on all 4 edges.

For things that's so big and a bit heavy the bezel is needed for holding it firmly.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
Good! I am waiting to replace my old iPad 2. Apple has been using same design for like 3 years. It's time for a change. iPad1, 2, 3 and 4... they all look very similar. Time to change.

Also, I don't understand what is wrong with this.... Apple wants to update every 6 months and I have no problems. Just keep supporting old devices for 2-3 years and I am happy.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
The people on this forum are going to explode because they have to have the latest and greatest now.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
Yes please.

It would mean all those prudent Ipad 3 owners who updated from Ipad 2 to the 3 never got ripped off buying two Ipads per year.

The March rumour is my more favourable one and I think Apple will yet again stick to a yearly cycle with Ipads. However Mini might get a update in the summer.

I'd still reckon Iphone 5S will be released about September. Iphone 5 is a strong handset and I think it will continue to see high sales so they don't have to rush out the next model.

Ipad Mini is too small..yet it's amazing to hold, thin, nice slate black...so I'd happily just have the thinner lighter Ipad with the same features as Ipad 4.

Let's be honest this sounds more like Ipad "4". Ipad "4" or Ipad 3 HD as I like to call it was just rushed out to put a lightning dock so it never look out dated when they gave us Ipad mini. However I bet there will be alot of cheesed off Ipad 4 owners but seriously did they think Apple would put out a hevier Ipad with the same shell as Ipad 3 and wait another year for the next one?

Apple were greedy and surprised everybody with Ipad 4 which is why people should have not bought into it unless they were new buyers to the device. Why do you think Ipad 3 was discontinued? Basically it was the Ipad 3 with a faster processor and new lightning connector and the retina display could not be brought down in price to sell it in place of Ipad 2.

March 2013 prepare for:

Ipad mini £269
Ipad 4th generation £329
Ipad 5th generation £399 - £430 (Wouldn't be surprised if the price edges up a little)

Ipad mini with retina can be for the summer quickly followed by Iphone 5S in September and that will be our IOS device year. Ipod Touch will just get a small refresh I reckon.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Looks like my 3rd gen ipad may be getting sold sooner than expected, or passed down. Insane how much the price has fallen though ($829 to about .. what, $500 on ebay?) Thinner and lighter would be most welcome. The iPad Mini is cool, but I want large screen. My idea of portable is: fits in my backpack for the trip to work...

The iPad three doesnt fit?

camnchar

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
I guess this could be seen as a tax on fanboys. I see it as a response to Android's tablets being released all over the place.

I'm happy with my iPad 3, we'll see what the 5 looks like.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
Also

Apple released Ipad 4 two months ago..

Sorry they should say 9 months ago and 12 months come March 2013.

See it for what it was Ipad 3 with some new bits added on. There was nothing new to see.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
I can see getting a head in technology but now they are pushing these things out too fast, like if you buy a new one today, tomorrow it will be obsolete.

I can see a new one every 12 months. I was going to get the Mini iPad, however hearing the rumor that in June they will come out with a Mini with Retina, I held off.

I think if they start going with too many releases per year they will hold sales because people will always be wondering what they should do and hold off for new model. I will be interested to see what happens with all of this.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
This sounds like a rumor created by the competition to try and stop prospective buyers from committing.
Doubt it. This rumor would also stop perspective buyers from getting the competitions tablets as well.

It may be true or false. The point is that there are a lot of rumors pointing to a twice annual cycle.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I guess this could be seen as a tax on fanboys. I see it as a response to Android's tablets being released all over the place.

I'm happy with my iPad 3, we'll see what the 5 looks like.

Exactly. Its clearly a response to Android.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
Good! I am waiting to replace my old iPad 2. Apple has been using same design for like 3 years. It's time for a change. iPad1, 2, 3 and 4... they all look very similar. Time to change.

Also, I don't understand what is wrong with this.... Apple wants to update every 6 months and I have no problems. Just keep supporting old devices for 2-3 years and I am happy.

They aren't going to support older devices as long with new devices dropping every 6 months

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
that would bring my new iPad just in time for the annual replacement for my "old" iPad3. :cool:

I think thats the price we have to pay that Apple become consumer-centric. Look at all the Nexus, Samsung and others. They blow out new versions in a high frequency (at least it feels like it). Apple in a consumer mode need to adopt.
iPad5 in March; iPhone 5s in summer sound feasible.

RenoGuy

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2012
“We are just getting started. We're not taking our foot off the gas,” CEO Tim Cook said at the media event.

Well, Maybe he should take his foot off the gas before he goes over the cliff!

Getting the current products working properly should be 1st priority!!

Personally if I cannot get at least a year out of a device.....I ain't buying!

If there is a NEED, then by all means make it...Not just to milk the cow!:p

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Does seem daft the smaller iPad mini has to separate speakers coming out of separate holes (albeit quite near to each other) whilst the larger model only has one speaker port.

Guess this will be corrected on the iPad5

Myself I would like to see a speaker port on the top and bottom of the device.
Most games and all video's are going to be watched/played in landscape mode, so that would make most sense to get the best out of the device.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
March seems a bit quick, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a 5th generation sooner rather than later. Clearly Apple's design direction is thinner and lighter. The 3rd and 4th generation iPads are heavier than the 2nd generation. Now that the mini is out, the larger iPad seems downright bulky by comparison.

A few weeks ago, AnandTech attempted to throw water on the idea of a Retina Mini in the 2nd generation. Nevertheless, we've seen rumors. Perhaps the 5th gen is the device that is actually going to be released first.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
As I said in another thread too:

Ipad 3/4 is noticeably heavier. It's being embarrassed by thinner and lighter tablets including Mini and Ipad 2 and Kindle. Ipad 3/4 is a heavy lump and Apple should be working on a thinner tablet.

Ipad 5 now please! :D

----------

March seems a bit quick, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a 5th generation sooner rather than later. Clearly Apple's design direction is thinner and lighter. The 3rd and 4th generation iPads are heavier than the 2nd generation. Now that the mini is out, the larger iPad seems downright bulky by comparison.

A few weeks ago, AnandTech attempted to throw water on the idea of a Retina Mini in the 2nd generation. Nevertheless, we've seen rumors. Perhaps the 5th gen is the device that is actually going to be released first.

It's been almost a year since Ipad 3 and almost two years since Ipad 2.

Ipad 4 should just have been seen as a minor refresh nothing else. Ipad 4 is very out of date..it's heavy! :eek:

donniedarko

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2004
Los Angeles
Id buy a lighter iPad, love my 3. Ill never buy a mini. I like the larger screen, and the typing on a mini sucks. I actually find myself prefering typing on my iPad then my keyboard which I never thought would happen

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
I can see getting a head in technology but now they are pushing these things out too fast, like if you buy a new one today, tomorrow it will be obsolete.

I can see a new one every 12 months. I was going to get the Mini iPad, however hearing the rumor that in June they will come out with a Mini with Retina, I held off.

I think if they start going with too many releases per year they will hold sales because people will always be wondering what they should do and hold off for new model. I will be interested to see what happens with all of this.

I think the coming year will see all releases go back to one year to be honest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.