Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
Why is the simplest question to ask. The 4th Gen iPad got the A6X right? Still a hot and great processor running on an OS that is very tight and light weight from a resource standpoint.

This sounds like a rumor created by the competition to try and stop prospective buyers from committing.

As I said..it will be a year since Ipad 3 come March.

Ignore Ipad 4 for now..

Ipad mini is nicer, it's lighter..I would almost guarantee Apple will put a 9.7" tablet out in March which looks like the Ipad mini.

Believe it now. Ipad 2/3 owners may wish to start saving..

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
Apple needs to stay ahead of the curve, 12 months is just too long between upgrades and I'm glade Apple is realizing that. I do feel for those locked into 2 year contracts with their 3rd/4th gen iPad but that's life.

At list point I might hang onto my 3Gs and get an iPad in 3-6 months.

Delirium7

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2012
Whichever of these Apple releases first will be my next purchase:

1. Retina iPad Mini
2. iPad Standard with at least a noticeable 20% weight reduction (a redesign to style more like the Mini would be nice too)

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
Looks like my 3rd gen ipad may be getting sold sooner than expected, or passed down. Insane how much the price has fallen though ($829 to about .. what, $500 on ebay?) Thinner and lighter would be most welcome. The iPad Mini is cool, but I want large screen. My idea of portable is: fits in my backpack for the trip to work...

Has it really?

People still pay alot for Ipad 2 seems more popular than Ipad discontinued 3rd model now.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
do people complain when new clothes/cars etc. come out too? Christ...

you all know Apple updates their products EVERY year.

if you were smart you'd sell your old device and put that towards the new one.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
Apple needs to stay ahead of the curve, 12 months is just too long between upgrades and I'm glade Apple is realizing that. I do feel for those locked into 2 year contracts with their 3rd/4th gen iPad but that's life.

At list point I might hang onto my 3Gs and get an iPad in 3-6 months.

I don't think Apple will start rushing out releases.

Ipad mini could have appeared when Iphone 5 was announced. I think Ipad mini was always going to launch when it was ready and Ipad 3 looked out of date using the old pin charger.

An Ipad 9.7" tablet with NFC added and the same features as Ipad 4 with the mini design will see of ANY tablet in 2013 and 2014. No need to put out anymore.

----------

Thinner and lighter this soon...what else?

NFC.

Other tablets have it. NFC for Ipad 5 and Iphone 5S in 2013. :cool:

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
People used to complain that Apple products were updated so infrequently as compared to PCs, now they get flack for updating too quickly, ha.

If this is true I just hope the iPad mini with retina isn't far behind.

You mean the computers that many use to make money? Not the sad little fad followers who must have the latest. If they are dumb enough to pay up, I don't blame Apple for milking them dry.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
You don't have to upgrade just because there is a new model.

Oh no, that can't be right!

I thought there was a law that required that everyone who just bought an iPad 4 must buy the next iteration.

I mean, with all the whining going on here, there must be a law.

You mean we have a choice!? We don't HAVE to buy the new one?:confused:

Amazing!!

:rolleyes:

brock2621

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
Kentucky
I am glad that they are shifting design directions, if only with their iOS devices. Aluminum is getting tiresome.

What? Unless you want the price to skyrocket no other material other than titanium will be as comparable in weight and rigidity. Other companies are JUST NOW starting to catch up.

They have been incredible in their materials selection over the past 10 years. I would hate to go back to cheap plastic like 99% of other products :/

benspratling

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
Can't wait to see what it is the iPad 5 offers that the iPad 1, 2, 3, and 4, don't already offer.

I'd love to see a larger storage capacity, how about a few TB? wifi that's as fast as thunderbolt is today? 3D cameras? How about a work desk that's basically a massive iPad? (things have to be bigger to touch them but the screens are all so small compared to a Mac). Speakers that send sound towards the person who is looking at the screen instead of off stage left? Surely eventually all of these things will happen. Well, ok, maybe not the one I want the most... the workdesk-sized ipad. Maybe an iDesk?

Moshe1010

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
2.png

iRCL

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
I think it's hilarious that anyone would be ANGRY about this news. Looks like Apple is confirming the theory that a chunk of their customers buy everything just because it's new

As someone who owns an iPad 4th gen I am happy to hear this. If I really want it, I'll just sell and upgrade

StarPower

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2012
Apple by themselves are fending off an entire coalition of generic brands who share a free fragmented Android OS.

They HAVE to update more than once a year now. Every 6 months is no big deal.

They need to keep on top of their game to keep momentum, especially in the Tablet field which they designed and created. Your old iPad WILL NOT be "irrelevant" as it won't work any worse, and it will still be on sale at a lower price point once the new one comes out. Apple is literally trying their best to please everybody here.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
The last update should have been called the "iPad 3rd generation S" and what ever comes out next to be the iPad 4th generation. What ever.

I have my eyes on the next iPad mini with retina display.

canucksfan88

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
this will be the norm moving forward.

steve jobs ran apple a certain way...but that era is over.

its cook's show now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.