Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gursis11

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2011
Idiots everywhere feel the need to buy the greatest and latest. Stick with what you have for couple of years until it stops working. Just like a pc or mac, if you have the late 2011 model, there's no need to go out and buy a mid 2012, is there?
It's media and blogs that overhype and over exaggerate every tiny thing.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
I personally think this is too much. Why did they release the iPad 4 now? So it has a new connector and slightly better camera on a tablet? Just seems like they should have just had a good upgrade in feb/march rather then constantly release such crap updates every couple months.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
Looks like my 3rd gen ipad may be getting sold sooner than expected, or passed down. Insane how much the price has fallen though ($829 to about .. what, $500 on ebay?) Thinner and lighter would be most welcome. The iPad Mini is cool, but I want large screen. My idea of portable is: fits in my backpack for the trip to work...

If only more people understood this.

Portable:

- can use it on a train
- can use it on a plane
- can bring it to school
- can bring it to work
- can bring it up for a presentation
- can use it in bed
- can use it on the couch

Anything less portable than that, you'd most likely use your mobile device for (ie. restaurants, sports events, bars, movie theaters, bathroom, weddings).

As soon as the iPad mini is released, all of a sudden iPads become too big to bring outside of the home. It's absolute nonsense -- they're barely a pound different in size. And last time I checked, you still can't fit iPad minis in your pocket. The only advantage they offer is a lower price point.

Giving up the extra screen space simply isn't worth it (to me).

Last edited:

trellus

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2007
Plano, TX
Idiots everywhere feel the need to buy the greatest and latest. Stick with what you have for couple of years until it stops working. Just like a pc or mac, if you have the late 2011 model, there's no need to go out and buy a mid 2012, is there?
It's media and blogs that overhype and over exaggerate every tiny thing.

I agree somewhat. I'm still on an iPad 2, and it works fine and I like it. Would I like an iPad with Retina Display, or the newest with that and a super fast processor? Sure, but I don't need it. I even recently got an original iPad for a friend and it was still imminently usable, and the only downside was it couldn't be upgraded to iOS 6, but iOS 5 for me is the minimum, so even that isn't a huge deal.

I've found that for iPhones and tablets, I'll likely stick to roughly a two-year cycle, more or less.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Sweet!

Can't wait for March since the iPad mini will also probably be updated with retina display. Perfect device to upgrade from iPad 1.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
7.4mm deep would make this thing incredible. I am in love with the latest versions of their iOS devices (mini, touch and iPhone) and cannot wait to see the larger iPad redesigned with this new type of design.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
Great news. I have an iPad 3 and that thing is bulky compared to the first iPad I owned which I believe is the best in terms of weight and an awesome Apple case.

Now... only if we hear something about the Mac Pro.

bernuli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
Why is the simplest question to ask. The 4th Gen iPad got the A6X right? Still a hot and great processor running on an OS that is very tight and light weight from a resource standpoint.

This sounds like a rumor created by the competition to try and stop prospective buyers from committing.

Whoa. What is that called? Sideways psychology ?

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
I definitely see a full sized iPad but with the design features of the mini and a lot lighter and thinner than the current full sized iPad model

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
I personally think this is too much. Why did they release the iPad 4 now? So it has a new connector and slightly better camera on a tablet? Just seems like they should have just had a good upgrade in feb/march rather then constantly release such crap updates every couple months.

I like how you left out the 100% faster CPU and Graphics ;)

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009

Portable:

- can use it on a train
- can use it on a plane
- can bring it to school
- can bring it to work
- can bring it up for a presentation
- can use it in bed
- can use it on the couch

Anything less portable than that, you'd most likely use your mobile device for (ie. restaurants, sports events, bars, movie theaters, bathroom, weddings).

As soon as the iPad mini is released, all of a sudden iPads become too big to bring outside of the home. It's absolute nonsense -- they're barely a pound different in size. And last time I checked, you still can't fit iPad minis in your pocket. The only advantage they offer is a lower price point.

You just described a galaxy note.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
do people complain when new clothes/cars etc. come out too? Christ...

you all know Apple updates their products EVERY year.

if you were smart you'd sell your old device and put that towards the new one.

Ahh, but they're not smart, and worse, many are still in high school and/or don't have jobs, either, apparently. Ever read these forums? :)

irun5k

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2005

I get your point for sure and was in the same camp until I held both devices. For me, the mini sets a new standard for weight and overall portability. I was surprised that the iPad 3 felt as heavy as it did in comparison. It is not any easier to hold one-handed than the 1st gen.

I think the full sized iPad has a lot of gain in future releases. But in the end maybe this proves that Apple did the right thing by release two sizes of iPads... something for everyone.

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Oh no, that can't be right!

I thought there was a law that required that everyone who just bought an iPad 4 must buy the next iteration.

Nah man, its called 'Obsolete Theory' in which new products make your product less functional, thus requiring you to purchase the newest model. You should try visiting a Apple forum every once in a while.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
I get your point for sure and was in the same camp until I held both devices. For me, the mini sets a new standard for weight and overall portability. I was surprised that the iPad 3 felt as heavy as it did in comparison. It is not any easier to hold one-handed than the 1st gen.

I think the full sized iPad has a lot of gain in future releases. But in the end maybe this proves that Apple did the right thing by release two sizes of iPads... something for everyone.

Exactly! I guess I just don't understand why being able to hold a tablet in one hand is such a priority for so many people -- that's what a mobile device is for. I watch a lot of movies and videos on my iPad, it's difficult for me to surrender screen real estate and (very little) weight just to be able to hold my device in one hand. Unless you walk around with your tablet constantly to do whatever you're doing on it, I just don't get it. Holding the iPad feels like I'm holding an extremely small school textbook, but offers a lot more features that are multimedia user friendly.

You just described a galaxy note.

We're talking about tablets here -- I don't spend most of my time watching movies, and videos on my phone, so screen size isn't a huge issue for me when it comes to a phone. Ideally, I'd like to be able to hold my phone in one hand. I can understand the reasoning behind someone, for example, who didn't own a tablet wanting a lot more screen space on their mobile device since they would most likely spend more time watching movies on it.

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
Man it makes my brand new iPad look so bad. Now I am debating whether or not to return it, still got 28 days to decide.

lol..you're always going to return something you bought. What's the longest time period you kept your previous ipad...if any?

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
The people on this forum are going to explode because they have to have the latest and greatest now.

Haha. Exactly.

Not sure why they are complaining, it's not like they are locked in some two year contract with the iPad.

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
do people complain when new clothes/cars etc. come out too? Christ...

you all know Apple updates their products EVERY year.

if you were smart you'd sell your old device and put that towards the new one.

No need to take the Lords name in vain...i can appreciate we all have our own beliefs, but it comes across as offensive

http://www.christianhomesite.com/cherryvale/text/10command3.html

That being said...reading this I'm thankful I returned my iPad 4 and went for the mini...sounds like both will be refreshed soon but I'd rather have this mini than a heavy iPad 4...

Either way we shouldn't take for granted we are able to afford an iPad...and have to remember, there will always be something better coming out

Last edited:

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Personally if I cannot get at least a year out of a device.....I ain't buying!

So because a new version comes out, you can't continue using the old one? Because that's what is sounds like you're saying. My wife still uses our original iPad 1 (2009) at least several hours a day, every day, and in some respects it's even a little better than my iPad 3 (battery life, battery charge rate, heat generation, holding comfort).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.