Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Timzer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
And this is why Samsung has dominated Android and the smartphone market the world over. Software Features!!! Nobody has made a bigger improvement in the smartphone world. GS3 owners rejoice.

Video

walie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2010
Multiview is the real deal.

Last edited by a moderator:

chrismarle

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2011
Canada
Well then don't use it, no ones forcing you. Other people who want to use it can. Having more options is a good thing not a bad thing.

Well that's my point of view and I force no one to agree with me.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
That is such an awfully made video. Everything from how things are introduced, and how many screens the guy has to go through to do something. It reminds me of watching some kid demo a new app or game.

hot spare

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2011
Having 2 open apps resulting on each apps having 2.4" of the screen? No thanks.

Wrong, in 2 ways..

1] Simple Pythagoras calculation will give you that the screen size of GS3 is around 2.353 x 4.19 inch. So, half the screen will reduce it to a 2.353 x 2.09 inch display. This is equivalent to a 3.15 inch diagonal display size.

2] The screen-divider is movable. You can stretch-squeeze one part of the multi-window.

charlieroberts

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2007
Not a single innovation.

I am really not a troll, couldn't care less about apple vs Samsung, but really, what is this ****. And the video was painful to watch.

Maybe the dual apps could be handy but hardly a gamechanger. Oh and the interface just looks SO FUGLY.

I am glad that there are people who appreciate these phones so that it drives innovation, but yuck.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I'm glad people are finally recognizing Samsung as an innovator, because if this was an Apple video featuring upgrades to iOS, we'd have a plethora of people claiming Apple is, once again, leading the way.

I'm no SIII or TouchWiz fan, but rock on, Samsung. They deserve credit where credit is due.

The Galaxy S IV will be really interesting...

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
That is such an awfully made video. Everything from how things are introduced, and how many screens the guy has to go through to do something. It reminds me of watching some kid demo a new app or game.

Yeah so many menus to go through. Why was he clicking so many things before even taking a picture? This is what happens when Samsung wants to add so many features without thinking through UI design for end users.

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
Yeah so many menus to go through. Why was he clicking so many things before even taking a picture? This is what happens when Samsung wants to add so many features without thinking through UI design for end users.

You either didn't understand the video (which is understandable if you are only an iPhone user since things like NFC or facial/geo tagging or camera settings would be foreign to you) or you didn't pay attention very well.

Samsung phones with Android offer a lot of features you may never use, don't care about or can't live without. At least you get the option to, or not to, use those features. Can't say the same thing about other products made by other companies.

KnightMan

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2012
Those features are amazing! Glad your not waiting around for Google to add new features to Android. This is how to add to the Android experience. And good on you for not holding back with excuses that the current hardware on your existing flagship is not sufficient to have all these new features. Apple take notice. This is how it's done. Let's see what part 2 has to offer.

Ummm...let me take a wild guess. I believe he was enabling a function that you may not want on by default. Yeah, I'm pretty sure that was it.

So are there any BASIC FUNCTIONS, not special features like the above, but BASIC FUNCTIONS on the iPhone that require more clicks than it should.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
You either didn't understand the video (which is understandable if you are only an iPhone user since things like NFC or facial/geo tagging or camera settings would be foreign to you) or you didn't pay attention very well.

Samsung phones with Android offer a lot of features you may never use, don't care about or can't live without. At least you get the option to, or not to, use those features. Can't say the same thing about other products made by other companies.

I had S3 and I didn't remember clicking so many buttons that's why I questioned it. I thought Premium Suite added those stuff. It's a poorly made video to show off new features but my point is Samsung just wants to add these so called innovations just so they can brag but usability by end user is questionable. Some current feature like smart stay, swipe to take screen shot, double tap to scroll all the way up don't work very well. I guess you guys drink too much Samsung kool aid.

Last edited:

charlieroberts

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2007

EVERYONE gets the option to use, or not to use these 'features', its called buying an iPhone instead. And people seem pretty happy about 'missing out'.

DanteMann

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
hmmm did I ever mention iOS in my post? It seems android fans are very eager to compare themselves to iOS. I sense some broken ego.

Hopefully you don't represent iOS users in general. You see, there's this thing called deductive reasoning.
You felt Samsung was not innovating with this update, but then say you're happy people like it because it drives innovation. And you basically showed your displeasure for this interface with the word, "Yuck." So whatever you chose to buy as your OS of choice would be one you considered innovative. So what mobile OS do you use? :rolleyes:

charlieroberts

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2007
Hopefully you don't represent iOS users in general. You see, there's this thing called deductive reasoning.
You felt Samsung was not innovating with this update, but then say you're happy people like it because it drives innovation. And you basically showed your displeasure for this interface with the word, "Yuck." So whatever you chose to buy as your OS of choice would be one you considered innovative. So what mobile OS do you use? :rolleyes:

Feeling smart huh?

Well let me tell you, perhaps I was wrong in using he word innovation, since strapping a chainsaw to a kitten would be pretty innovating (dont think anyone has ever done that before? For arguments sake lets say that no one has.)

Perhaps the word would be usefulness. And for something to be useful it does not need to be compared to anything else, no need to point at iOS and scream 'first!'. I did not find these features to be useful or bring anything to the table.

And yeah the interface looks quite ugly, what does this have to do with iOS? To me its just ugly on its own.

Like I said, I really hope you continue to use and enjoy your galaxy or whatever phone is useful to you. But use all of your deductive reasoning to ask yourself if your phone is made magically better by slamming on iOS. I dont think so. :rolleyes:

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I had S3 and I didn't remember clicking so many buttons that's why I questioned it. I thought Premium Suite added those stuff. It's a poorly made video to show off new features but my point is Samsung just wants to add these so called innovations just so they can brag but usability by end user is questionable. Some current feature like smart stay, swipe to take screen shot, double tap to scroll all the way up don't work very well. I guess you guys drink too much Samsung kool aid.

Exactly, I have a S2 too, and even when I was still on TouchWiz, it was never this complicated to do stuff. Still isn't hard on CM10.

And heck, to take a screenshot, I just hold my power button down for a millisecond and click Screenshot.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

Did you not realize the settings is a one time setup? Once settings are done you don't need to do all of that again unless you choose to have a differ setup later on.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I received this upgrade today, looks pretty good, a nice surprise, wasn't expecting this until the New Year. I'm on O2 (UK) also read somewhere that Vodaphone UK also got it today.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.