Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How often should a new iPhone be introduced?

• Twice a year (every six months)

Votes: 32 15.2%
  • About every nine months

Votes: 22 10.4%
  • Once per year

Votes: 132 62.6%
  • About every 18 months

Votes: 25 11.8%

• Total voters

thermal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
Vancouver, Canada
When Apple introduced a new iPhone once per year, some complained that was far too slow in the hyper-paced smartphone world.

Then Apple introduced the iPad 4 about seven months after the iPad 3, and many bemoaned the faster pace of product introductions.

So, my question is: how often should Apple introduce a new, updated iPhone (iPad in separate discussion). Once a year as during Steve Job's era? Twice a year to remain competitive with Android's hyper pace? Some other figure?

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
I voted less frequently. The iPhone isn't a hardware issue, it is a software issue. Give it some decent hardware and focus on the software adjustments. We have been looking at the same interface for years. Jailbreaking was thought to originally be months ahead of Apple on development. It is actually multiple years ahead of Apple as it turns out.

Marrakas

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2012
every 9-12 months is fine with me. Allows you to skip 1-2 generations and still have a fairly up to date phone.

serkan

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Menlo Park,California
Think out of American market.In other markets Iphones are too expensive to buy or make a commitment to a gsm operator.In Turkey,if you want to buy and unlocked iphone you have to give : 1250 Dollars and if you want to make a commitment to a phone the total price will come up to : more than 2000 $ And secondly the phones,ipads and ipods are not coming to other countries that fast like US and we can't keep up with this race.I personally want Apple to release the phones in 2 years and we can catch up with all model easily and frequently.With those I can only keep up with the 2 models and I don't want that.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Yea, needs a redesigned UI in some form.

And no "Newsstand" or "Facebook" features.

New multitasking, notification center, photo/camera, updates for siri, etc...

Last edited by a moderator:

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Every TWO YEARS !

When TWO YEAR COTRACT is over, you can restart with a new contract!

Or maybe better yet, get rid of contracts altogether somehow.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
I think the yearly cycle is right. People who moan about how often new products come out need to get a grip. Why should the Apple halt their progress just so you can say that you have the latest iPhone? It is the way of the world. Just be thankful that Apple don't release 50 different phones a year like all the other manufacturers.

Whilst some think ios is outdated (and I agree in part), if you are a Mac user then it is insanity to use any thing other than an iPhone. It is an absolute pleasure to have all devices seemlessly integrate.

tomjleeds

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Manchester, UK
Yea, needs a redesigned UI in some form.

And no "Newsstand" or "Facebook" features.

New multitasking, notification center, photo/camera, updates for siri, etc...

UPDATE STUFF!!!!!!

How?

I DON'T KNOW JUST CHANGE IT SO IT DOESN'T FEEL STALE!!!!!!!!!

But what if that makes it worse?

WHO CARES IOS IS LIKE FREAKIN' PREHISTORIC MAN!!!!!!!!!

:rolleyes:

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
From a business perspective, I don't think it is going to make much difference very soon.

Smartphone technology has almost reached the point where it is "good enough" for most people. After that they become a commodity just like laptops or toasters and it is a race to the bottom at that point.

What do you think would happen if Google's X Phone ends up as a quad-band phone that ca run on GSM, CDMA and LTE for $199?

There are only so many people who willing to pay $400 for a cell phone and then an additional $80 or more a month for cellular service.

The same thing is happening with the tablet market. Once Asus or Acer makes a decent $99 tablet running Android OS, that will be the end of that game.

Google sells services and information. They don't care what hardware you use or how often you upgrade just as long as you keep buying their services and they can keep selling your information to other companies.

Apple sells hardware. They sell services like iTines and iCloud and software like iOS and OSX so they can sell more hardware.

I believe Apple is going to move to a six-month release cycle to cash in while they can.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
I like the 9 to 12 month rhythm. Ah, and those two-year-contracts should end or only for those who want. Free phones in a free world ! From day 1. Let the consumer decide if they want to pay full price or not.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
iOS needs a major boost, they need themes. Literally the only thing that changed about the layout is the SMS and music icon. They never know if they want it as one app for music and video or separate apps lol

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
I think most people would like things to stay the same simply because people don't like change.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
The next 5 years are going to be very interesting for Apple. With their mind-set, I'm not sure where they can go with the iPhone from here. They're obviously not interested in changing the OS and I doubt they'll ever go with a larger screen. They've kind of painted themselves into a corner.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
From a business perspective, I don't think it is going to make much difference very soon.

Smartphone technology has almost reached the point where it is "good enough" for most people. After that they become a commodity just like laptops or toasters and it is a race to the bottom at that point.

I agree with this! I think the current 5 is the first iPhone that I think will exceed 2 years of use for most people (if they want it to). It has everything, LTE, good battery, super fast.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
The slow game is going to bite them in the nippers. Given the fast-rising competition, might not hurt Apple to change gears.

I, for one, welcome our new 6-month cycle overlords. It would make the S-version of iPhones more tolerable, too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.