Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aidan5806

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
I am glad that they are shifting design directions, if only with their iOS devices. Aluminum is getting tiresome.

They're actually moving more towards aluminum........The iPod touch now uses aluminum as a primary component, so does the iPhone 5, and the iPad mini.

bdub786

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
The problem with increasing the frequency of updates is it forces Apple to restrict new features to new devices to twist your arm into upgrading. Remember when the iPhone 4S got Siri and iPhone 5 got 3D maps; they weren't backwards compatible.

However, I think this is simply to correct their misstep on iPad 4th gen. They released a marginally better iPad so they could have a common connector across their flagship devices. The next iPad will probably bring Apple back to a near annual cycle.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Personally I think the new iPad will sport an elongated aspect ratio screen like the iPhone 5. Just one man's opinion.

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
This is why I buy the products that I am 100% satisfied with and stick with them. The writing was on the wall. Apple changed a lot from when I bought my first Powerbook. You can't blame them. It is always about the money. Steve Jobs actually stopped a lot of this. It was always the board that wanted to grab as much money as possible.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
I think the message from Apple to Consumers is clear:-

"Stop expecting to have the latest model for a pre-determined amount of time before we release a newer model"

"Because we plan on surpassing our own products before the competition can one up us."

Samsung. et.al., ain't gonna wait no full year....

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Wow, when there's smoke, there's fire. We may actually see new iPads mid-next year. Who would have thought?

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2010
I like both sizes

I bought an original iPad for my wife's birthday years ago and now just bought a mini for myself. At 51, I do prefer the larger screen but also like holding the mini in one hand. The reason I bought the mini is that I wanted a portable device for my pickup when camping (gps, etc.)

Basically, I'm a happy camper. I won't buy every iteration of any product. I buy what I have a use for. Nothing more. So far Apple has provided products that suit my wants.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Ipad 3/4 is noticeably heavier. It's being embarrassed by thinner and lighter tablets including Mini and Ipad 2 and Kindle.

True. And the same (albeit in terms of screen resolution) can be also said in support of the rumors that a Retina Mini is coming soon too.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
I fully understand that I can't expect my products to be the latest and greatest forever but COME ON. I really wish they were on a two year cycle with a major upgrade each cycle.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
I fully understand that I can't expect my products to be the latest and greatest forever but COME ON. I really wish they were on a two year cycle with a major upgrade each cycle.

Good thing your not the CEO of Apple.

Lol even if Apple has billions, it'll still out business of it released a new update every 2 years.

But here's a way you can make sure you get the newest for cheap. Don't upgrade every year.

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
This is getting ridiculous...
Why? Samsung comes out with a new Galaxy variation every 3 months it seems. Dell releases new PCs all the time... Every 3 months when Intel is on a roll so fast they don't bother to name them any more.

Apple is at an all-time slowdown across the board for cranking out minor revisions... Most products are running 9-11 month cycles.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Flooding

I personally don't care if they release a new iPad mini so soon after the first generation because it's perfect for my uses.

I think if they do release a new one, then it's Apple's way of flooding the market with the products. It makes sense to me, first sell the basic product to those that are either fanboys or early adopters that understand its limitations, and then come out with a more advanced version to appease those that wanted it in the first place.

It's a,so a way to please the ones that want different sizes of their products. I have an iPhone 4S and an iPad mini and am very happy with both. Seem pele however want the retina iPad and the iPhone 5; great. Now everyone is happy.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
I can see getting a head in technology but now they are pushing these things out too fast, like if you buy a new one today, tomorrow it will be obsolete

Don't worry, this is Apple, who rarely release a "new" product that has enough features to make the previous one obsolete.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
That is insane. The 4th generation iPad was released on Nov 2012, another refresh in March?

Thats far too early, I would much rather Apple work hard at releasing a much better tablet yearly, rather then make incremental changes every 6 months..

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
this is just getting out of control...

Why? No one said you had to buy a new phone or tablet every year. Android devices get released every month or so by the different manufacturers. If Apple were to move to a semiannual release, they wouldn't fall behind on hardware specs, which is one area the Android fanboys (and anti-Apple marketing ie Samsung) attack Apple.

Are you one of those people that upgrades your phone every year, or do you upgrade every other, when your contract is up? Most iPhone users skip generations, so just do the same the the iPad.

Born Again

macrumors 601
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Why? No one said you had to buy a new phone or tablet every year. Android devices get released every month or so by the different manufacturers. If Apple were to move to a semiannual release, they wouldn't fall behind on hardware specs, which is one area the Android fanboys (and anti-Apple marketing ie Samsung) attack Apple.

Are you one of those people that upgrades your phone every year, or do you upgrade every other, when your contract is up? Most iPhone users skip generations, so just do the same the the iPad.

Cry babies

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.