Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnLT13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2012
Boston (aka Red Sox Nation)
had to get the hard copy in SteelBook, it is awesome

B81A4DFF-B475-4564-A37C-E06F20ADD394-5160-00000352394FFA6F.jpg

----------

I got the Blu-ray last week and haven't had a chance to watch it yet! With that said, I tried to use the Ultraviolet code and it didn't work*. I immediately emailed support and they haven't bothered to reply yet so I won't be going out of my way to use UV in the future.

*The packaging says that it doesn't work in Ireland, Channel Islands or Isle of Man, but when I try to redeem it from NZ it kicks me out for not being in the UK.

I refuse to use UV. I lost two movies to them, they have 0 customer support.
wish it came with digital copy. :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
That's a pretty awesome box. I bought the Blu Ray that included the Standard version disc as well and gave it to my brother since he doesn't have a blu ray player (that counts as an early christmas gift right?).

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I refuse to use UV. I lost two movies to them, they have 0 customer support.
wish it came with digital copy. :mad:

I eventually got a response after a week, telling me to contact Warner Home Video instead :rolleyes:

To their credit, WHV responded after about two hours but just gave a boilerplate message about UV not being available due to "logistical reasons". I shot back with feigned incredulity about how countless "normal" people send files between countries every day, so how do the movie and music industries manage to run into so many problems? :p

-SD-

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Peterborough, UK
I got the Trilogy box-set on Blu-ray as Tesco had it for £24 the other day. I've just this evening watched The Dark Knight Rises via the projector, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Much better than going to the Cinema :D

:apple:

darthpibe

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2012
I got both versions the limited edition bluray and the itunes with extras version, and the bluray version is a little better than the iTunes version, the black quality levels are better n the bluray, and for a dark movie that's very important.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 152
Last edited by a moderator:

darthpibe

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2012
Nothing goes over Bluray. Well 4K maybe but not iTunes.

Yep youre right, but is very close now, in the near future is going to get better, physical storage is a thing from the past like Betamax, VHS, CDs, and DVD, cloud storage is the future.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Nothing goes over Bluray. Well 4K maybe but not iTunes.

The thing about iTunes is that the video gets better over time originally 720p now 1080p - no new purchase required.

Whose to say that iTunes won't upgrade our content to 4k or 8k in a few years when bandwitch allows for it - there is endless potential in a digital file versus physical discs.

kaldezar

macrumors regular
May 28, 2008
London, England
So let's summarise...

Option 1
Buy from iTunes, wait a few minutes, press play.

Option 2
Buy BR (from store or online) wait for delivery or trip home, RIP it to mkv, have plex on the system or jail broken ATV2, press play.

Option 3
Buy BR (from store or online) wait for delivery, RIP it to mkv, handbrake it, press play.

Gee...I wonder which is easier?

I understand we have audiophiles here, old school own the disc people, potential licence issues down the track with pure digital files, but aren't we forgetting something?

Apples mantra " it just works"?

Apples all ways been about ease of use, ease of access, just plain ease. Perfect no, but always getting better.

I don't own a B&O for sound, my TV isn't a $20k vision nirvana device. Unless they are, your not getting the full benefits of everything by goingi BR then ripping, no matter how good the rip. My wife doesn't sit there and go 'wish we had dts or a better tv'.

Ease of use and an enjoyable experience.

With the iTunes store and an ATV, Apple delivers.

Sorry people, but I just can't see myself fretting over how good my RIPs are, or which jail brake is the best. I just want to watch the movie.As long as these days it's HD, I'm reasonably happy. I use to be happy with DVDs.

Buy the thing through iTunes, and enjoy the experience! If you watch it 2 times or more, your ahead of the game.

Agree that itunes is more convenient ( especially for spur of the moment rentals) but on my 4 year old high end panasonic plasma( about $2000 at the time probably substantially cheaper and better now), itunes definitely is way behind BluRay and using a fairly average sound system (mid range Pioneer receiver) the sound quality of Dolby True HD or DTS HD total blows away the iTunes version so for me renting throught iTunes is fine but for owning BluRay every time. BTW why use handbrake when Ivi does a better job in a fraction of the time?

andymodem

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2008
Baltimore, MD
I bought the Blu Ray. I do rip my Blu Rays though into AppleTV2 format for casual viewing on the ipad or the tv in the bedroom. When I do a serious viewing I pull out the Blu Ray and watch it on the 60" plasma.

SAIRUS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
Blu-ray all the way! The DTS-MA on this disc is completely worth it.

To all the people who are too lazy to get up and switch the disc, I am afraid of your response when you need to go the bathroom.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Blu-ray all the way! The DTS-MA on this disc is completely worth it.

To all the people who are too lazy to get up and switch the disc, I am afraid of your response when you need to go the bathroom.

Wow its not just that - I go with iTunes because I live in a small studio that has no storage room of any kind - I simply don't have the room to store the hundreds of BluRays I would have been buying. Plus it is so much easier to find my content in a searchable list/genre breaking down grid - it is both more convenient and gets rid of the storage need that those in apartments don't have.

So yea its not just being lazy its for those that move around alot or have no room to store the discs - the Apple TV also takes up less space and uses less power than a BluRay player.

SAIRUS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
Wow its not just that - I go with iTunes because I live in a small studio that has no storage room of any kind - I simply don't have the room to store the hundreds of BluRays I would have been buying. Plus it is so much easier to find my content in a searchable list/genre breaking down grid - it is both more convenient and gets rid of the storage need that those in apartments don't have.

So yea its not just being lazy its for those that move around alot or have no room to store the discs - the Apple TV also takes up less space and uses less power than a BluRay player.

No worries. I was downloads only for a while, being in the exact same situation.

I keep a list on blu-ray.com and have everything organized pretty well.

Currently thinking of setting up a htpc and when the hard drives get big enough, I'll rip them.

Oh and I also have small speakers that while loud, I can place them where I don't annoy the neighbors.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Yea I do at some point plan on getting a BluRay player with 3D capabilities. There are a few films I could see owning for the vast amount of extras and 3D version.

I will be much more mindful of what I get in the physical format. I was blown away how much physical room my old DVD collection was consuming at my Mom's house. I don't have much room to store things so once I take up more than a single bookshelf I'll be evaluating what to get rid of and what to keep.

My main purchase point will always be through iTunes and I may double dip in BluRay when appropriate - I still need to wait another year or so to upgrade my projector from 720p to 1080p/3D capable.

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008
The thing about iTunes is that the video gets better over time originally 720p now 1080p - no new purchase required.

Whose to say that iTunes won't upgrade our content to 4k or 8k in a few years when bandwitch allows for it - there is endless potential in a digital file versus physical discs.

It's a double-edged sword, though. Your movies can disappear too. (See the thread regarding purchased films disappearing from iCloud.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.