Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Seismic Wave

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
Hi folks,

So my iPad 2 was running jailbroken on 5.0.1. I was having all sorts of problems with my wifi dropping and decided to upgrade to 5.1.1, as it too, is jailbreakable.

I downloaded both firmwares and used Redsn0w to re-restore. Unfortunately during the process I got some kind of recovery timed out message. I can't remember exactly what it said.

My device now boots into recovery. I've tried the re-restore again, multiple times on multiple computers, both Mac and PC, but every subsequent time Redsn0w alerts me that it can't identify the firmware on my device and do I want it to act as if 5.x is the installed firmware.

After saying yes, i'm asked if it's a direct 5.1.1 to 5.1.1 re-restore to which I answer no. it then asks for the old firmware. I select it and it prepares the restore image. Once completed I receive a message "Uploading iBEC".

Once this progress bar fills I receive an error stating that Redsn0w couldn't restore. You might have guessed the current FW incorrectly (I haven't).

Apologies for the war and peace above but am I going to have to "upgrade" to iOS6 or is there a way to exit recovery mode?

I've tried both Redsn0w and TinyUmbrella's recovery fixes to no avail!

Thanks for your time

Seismic Wave

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
Yeah, sorry forgot to say that I have blobs for 5.0.1 and 5.1.1 saved locally and on Cydia

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Try dfu restore, if it you still get the error jailbreak with redsn0w anyway and it should work.

braxton34

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2012
How about trying to create a custom signed 5.0.1 IPSW file using iFaith and your 5.0.1 shsh (iFaith does not support 5.1.1). You can use tiny umbrella to save your SHSH locally if you haven't already. Then follow instructions to get into pwned dfu mode and do a shift restore in iTunes.

Should work....

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
How about trying to create a custom signed 5.0.1 IPSW file using iFaith and your 5.0.1 shsh (iFaith does not support 5.1.1). You can use tiny umbrella to save your SHSH locally if you haven't already. Then follow instructions to get into pwned dfu mode and do a shift restore in iTunes.

Should work....

Doesn't work on A5 devices like the iPad2, it only works on A4 device with the limera1n exploit.

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
What's wrong with just restoring to iOS 6, then downgrading to iOS 5.1.1, and then jailbreaking?

braxton34

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2012
What's wrong with just restoring to iOS 6, then downgrading to iOS 5.1.1, and then jailbreaking?

That can only be done for older devices like the iPhone 4.
For A5 devices like the ipad 2 and iPhone 4S, once you are on iOS 6 you cannot go back...

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
That is only true for the 4S
If blobs are available for 4.3.3 on the ipad2 you can downgrade to that and from there to 5+ with blobs

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
when asked if it is a 5.1.1 to 5.1.1 select yes
but use 5.0.1 to update

you do have blobs for 5.01 an 5.1.1 both right?

Seismic Wave

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
when asked if it is a 5.1.1 to 5.1.1 select yes
but use 5.0.1 to update

you do have blobs for 5.01 an 5.1.1 both right?

Yeah I have the blobs for both firmwares.

This is getting weird now. I hadn't tried in a few days, so I decided to try your suggestion. I said that is was 5.x to 5.x re-restore after initially selecting the 5.0.1 firmware.

It then asked if it was a 5.0.1 to 5.0.1 re-restore, I said no and selected the 5.1.1 firmware. It got passed the iBEC part and even the progress bar on the device itself completed.

However, it got to the part in Redsn0w where it says "waiting for recovery". After a few seconds and with nothing showing on the device itself I get the "could no re-restore message. You might have guessed the firmware". So I got a lot further but still no success! :(

It gets weirder. I decided to try again right away. This time it didn't even get passed the iBEC stage! Very strange.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
What i understand from your postings is that the phone was on 5.0.1

I don't understand why you than say NO when redsn0w asks if it is a 5.01to5.01 restore which this is....

Seismic Wave

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
Ok, so I finally fixed it.

I was encouraged by the fact that I got so far in my last attempt and thought that it must be something to do with recovery mode.

I turned the iPad off, held the home button down and turned it back on. I was trying this on my pc this time and as soon as it booted into recovery, windows started installing drivers.

I ran the re-restore again, 5.0.1 to 5.0.1 and it worked perfectly.

However, I really wanted to be on 5.1.1, so I decided to re-restore from 5.0.1 to 5.1.1 like I had intended all along.

This part was in two stages. Redsn0w re-restores 5.0.1 first and then reboots the device to upgrade to 5.1.1. Once rebooted I got a service couldn't start message, which, when I rebooted the device, stuck me in the position I was in initially. This time, I powered off the device, held down the home button and turned it back on. In Redsn0w, I selected 5.1.1 to 5.1.1 and it completed successfully.

Cheers for everyones help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.