Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bokes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 4, 2008
OK- one silly complaint about new MacAir-

the spacebar has a crackle like sound whenever I press it.

It's sounds like it might be a loose fit.

All the other keys are soft and spongy.

Obscurelight

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
NYC
have you tried comparing it to the ones in store? If they don't act like yours then you might want to get an exchange.

heyp

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2008
experiencing the same here. It's a bit annoying. Curious to hear if anyone has any solutions.

ryanrhod

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2011
I literally just came on here to complain about the spacebar too and saw this thread.

I absolutely love everything about my new 13" 2011 mba, except this spacebar. Like you said, it is really loud, but even more than that, it just doesn't feel right when I type. There is almost not enough resistance and "bounce-back" if that's the right choice of words, so it seems like it takes too long for the space bar to return to it's original position after hitting it. I have a hard time typing as quickly as normal because the spacebar feels "mushy." And it's really loud.

I previously had the 2010 11" mba, and had no problems with the keyboard whatsoever. I'm going to check out some models at the store and see if mine is defective or if they are all like this.

Kafka

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
I had the same kind of thing with my 2010 MBA. Space bar was kind of loose and sometimes if I wasn't careful it didn't register presses.
On my 2011 MBA it's alright.
On a friend's 2010 MBA it is the trackpad that is a bit loose and the bottom left corner creaks when you hold it. Probably some screws that need to be tightened. I know it would make me crazy.

ryanrhod

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2011
Just to follow up, I stopped by an Apple store today and tried typing on several display 13" mba's, and the spacebars felt exactly like mine, so I guess the problem here is just me haha. That being said, I typed on a display 2011 11" and it felt the way I remember my 2010 11" did, and I liked it better. Oh well, I'll take the faster processor and larger display and get used to how this spacebar feels.

jediistar

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
I have the same problem but for my "U" button, it types completely different than the rest of the keys. It's very "clacky" while the other keys are soft and smushy. I don't want to return it because I just got this one set up exactly the way I want it! :eek::eek:

Bokes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 4, 2008
Popped into the Apple store and checked this out.
I tried three 13inch MacAir's.
All the Spacebars were solid and none had the crackle sounds I'm getting.
figures. (I almost hoped they would have the issue- so i could get over it.)

So I walked up to the genius bar- no one was waiting so they took a look at my MacAir's spacebar.
Of course the guy thought I was nuts. He tapped on it a bunch of times and said it's normal. He asked me if it sticks. I said - no. He told all was fine go home and enjoy.

Now - I know there is a snappy,crinkle,crackle to my spacebar- but I felt like a fool trying to explain it.

I also have the Toshiba SSD and the LG Display- so according to this site I really got a lemon.....and complaining here is easy.
but try to explain these silly, small issues to a real person face to face. You soon realize how ridiculous and overly obsessive we can be about these things.

GL

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Yes, some spacebars are loose and clacky. Not a satisfying feeling when you press on it. But that's luck of the draw, and many people are unlucky in my opinion. I just think about how fast these things are flying past the assembly line made by people who don't have a vested interest in the company. And then chalk it up to a lesson: c'est la vie and that's about it.

Obscurelight

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
NYC
There always seem to be some sort of issue in a otherwise perfect computer around here in the forums lol :eek: The ratio of people having small minuscule issues here is like 10:1 vs. a person you meet in real life.

Azathoth

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2009
I wish I had a loud and clacky space bar - mine is dead like a sack of spuds. I miss the springy clackiness of my macbook pro 2010. My new MBA13 2011 is definately a step back in the keyboard department - but the model in the store seems pretty similar, so I dont think it makes much sense to try and send it back - we only have Apple Auth retailers here, no Apple stores, so sending it back via mail would be a hassle.

Still Im surprised that many of the reviews state that teh keyboard tactile feel is the same between the Pro and the Air. The travel is significantly less on my Air, and the keys feel "mushy", and squeek under certain circumstances, but I guess that's the price one pays for such a thin machine?

lyrrad721

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
My 13'' has this 'problem' too. When you move one finger around it while pressing it, the sound it produces is like if it had a thin plastic film and it's irritating when typing when there's no ambient noise. I went to the store and found out that they have this weird sound too, so I guess it must be normal. It isn't a big deal anymore, the machine has a perfect screen and everything works great, no problems whatsoever.

fenix793

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2011
I have the same exact issue. If I click the button on the right or left side it's fine. But right in the middle I get a (relatively) louder sound like the click clack mentioned here. Also if I push down on the key and more my finger side to side I hear the plasticky sound mentioned above. The best way to describe it is it sounds like the spacebar is taped down and the tape isn't sticking so it makes a sound. I don't think there's actually any tape under it but there are some metal braces that are probably click-clacking around.

I want to take it back to the store and get it replaced but it seems like everyone has some sort of issue with their keyboard. Has anyone been successful in fixing it through replacement? or DIY mods?

I bought a Air thinking the MBP's build quality and quality control would carry over. Not so it seems...

warfed

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2011
Same issue, noticed how annoying it is when typing in a quite room at night.

superego

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2009
I've tried a couple of 13" MBAs and they did not have this problem. It's a quality control issue once again.

Birdboy48

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2012
I just bought my very first Mac, partly because I had been assured of it's high quality of construction.

Well swell : It's spacebar clacks so loud that other people complain.

Not sure what to do now.

Coldmode

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2010
The spacebar has different switches under it than the rest of the keys. If you really smack it while you're typing it will make more noise. I'm a pretty aggressive typist and mine tends to make a bit more noise than the others.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
experiencing the same here. It's a bit annoying. Curious to hear if anyone has any solutions.

I got a replacement MBA and returned it because the keys were making a lot of noise and eventually couple of them popped out.

So when I looked at the bed, it was just a soft plastic used in a collapsible ladder like structure that was giving you that springy action.

You can easily pluck one apart and then just place it correctly and press it firmly till it clicks in place.

My guess is only one side of the key is being held by the springy mechanism in your case.

I wiped my keyboard with a micro fibre towel and a couple of them popped out. So it should not be that hard.

As always use caution, if its too hard to pry, leave it.

Last edited:

Birdboy48

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2012
Frankly after only having this Macbook Pro for a day, and having payed all that money, I'm not particularly wild about the idea of having to pry the thing apart.

I suspect Apple could say that "they all do this" but I simply can't bring myself to believe that, given how the Mac people go on and on about how much energy they put into engineering their products to be so much better than everyone else's.

My POS old PC was quiet as a mouse with it's keyboard, and this thing is driving me nuts.

Would something like this fall under the warranty, do you think ?

It really seems like a manufacturing defect to me.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
Frankly after only having this Macbook Pro for a day, and having payed all that money, I'm not particularly wild about the idea of having to pry the thing apart.

I suspect Apple could say that "they all do this" but I simply can't bring myself to believe that, given how the Mac people go on and on about how much energy they put into engineering their products to be so much better than everyone else's.

My POS old PC was quiet as a mouse with it's keyboard, and this thing is driving me nuts.

Would something like this fall under the warranty, do you think ?

It really seems like a manufacturing defect to me.

I returned mine because of the noisy keyboard. I had another one to compare so I wasn't being picky. But mine was new and under the 14 day period, so no issues with the return.

If you are under warranty, I think you can tell them to replace the keyboard if its too noisy.

Just call Apple and ask them about it and see what they say.

macbookpro2

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2013
loud spacebar on MBP 13" mid 2012

just brought a 2 day old MBP after breaking my previous one... eventually got round to using the space bar a few times & i was very concerned by the noise, it is like it's extra loose and when you hit it you get a rattle. After reading other posts i now know this is a design fault because all the other keys are fine & almost silent. I really want to take it back but not sure whether i will get the same again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.