Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spyzz83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
Kay so this iPhone was dropped in water, after it fell it started vibrating and won't stop, I immediately unscrewed it and took the screen out and put them both in a bowl of rice, did not turn it off.

Now, it has stopped vibrating because the phone was in the rice bowl, but it slowly became more weak and stopped vibrating, I didn't know what to do I put the screen back and pressed the home and the power button for 10 seconds, didn't even see if it worked just pressed them both and then I removed the screen again.

Has it ever happen to anyone that the iPhone won't stop vibrating after a water damage?
Should I remove the logic board too?
How long should I leave it in the rice bowl?
Thanks

Spyzz83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
Just leave it off and in rice for a couple days.

But at first I put it in the rice bowl when it was on vibrating, then after like 4 hours it got weaker and stopped, I put everything back pressed the home and the power button for 10 seconds without even knowing if the phone was still on or not.

Also heard that it's better not to open it and leave it the way it is in the rice bowl, is it true?

bradkb

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2012
But at first I put it in the rice bowl when it was on vibrating, then after like 4 hours it got weaker and stopped, I put everything back pressed the home and the power button for 10 seconds without even knowing if the phone was still on or not.

Also heard that it's better not to open it and leave it the way it is in the rice bowl, is it true?

It probably got weaker as the battery started to die, it quite possibly is out of juice, which is GOOD.

Stick it back in the rice, with the screen off if possible and leave it alone for a couple of days, this will get all the water out.

After at least 2 days, check and make sure you see no trace, then put back together, you can then try switching on, and if not, check the lightening connector first make sure its dry, then plug in your charger.

DO NOT SWITCH it on until then. If you switch on now and if water is shorting any pins, you will DAMAGE your phone.

Spyzz83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
It probably got weaker as the battery started to die, it quite possibly is out of juice, which is GOOD.

Stick it back in the rice, with the screen off if possible and leave it alone for a couple of days, this will get all the water out.

After at least 2 days, check and make sure you see no trace, then put back together, you can then try switching on, and if not, check the lightening connector first make sure its dry, then plug in your charger.

DO NOT SWITCH it on until then. If you switch on now and if water is shorting any pins, you will DAMAGE your phone.

Kay thanks alot man, I'll check back in two days see
Thank you very much

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
If ANYTHING electrical falls in water, turn it off immediately. Running a piece of soaking wet electronics is dangerous, if only to the item.

FixBrokeni

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2012
There is a good chance you shorted a connection when dropping the device in water. As others have instructed, I'd leave it powered off for 2-3 days in rice and make sure the phone is completely dry before powering it back on.

noekozz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
212/201
You should have immediately turned it off after it was in water. Although leaving it on and letting the battery die out seems like a good idea, unfortunately you run the risk of causing more damage by leaving the device on. Leave the device off and let it sit for a day or two and try again.

Stevessvt

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2010
Ahhhhhhhh! Run!

Attachments

• 3C063AB5-E6AD-40D9-8933-8AB03D5893E0-697-000001C387180D80_tmp.jpg
    3C063AB5-E6AD-40D9-8933-8AB03D5893E0-697-000001C387180D80_tmp.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 508
Reactions: Newtons Apple
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.