Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

midgetsanchez

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
Wow! Apple needs to start implementing something like this into iOS....it's crazy to see awesome android features actually come to the iPhone.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
Pretty sure this is something that people have wanted more than silly Facebook integration. I really hope this comes in iOS 7, but really wish it could become much sooner.

I think it will come in iOS 7 along with lots of esthetic changes compliments of Jony. However, while I think these guys did a great job, I think there is still a lot of room for improvement!

I have been working on my own design haha :) Haven't had a lot of time to spend on it though... The general concept is swipe up from below the screen to open Mission Control, or swipe down from above the screen to open Notification Center which has a new widget for settings shortcuts. I think that better organizes the desired features with the parameters that Apple has established.

Here is a screenshot of what I have so far:

Attachments

• iPhone5-GUI.png
    iPhone5-GUI.png
    657.9 KB · Views: 119

thisisdallas

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
Cupertino, CA
I think it will come in iOS 7 along with lots of esthetic changes compliments of Jony. However, while I think these guys did a great job, I think there is still a lot of room for improvement!

I have been working on my own design haha :) Haven't had a lot of time to spend on it though... The general concept is swipe up from below the screen to open Mission Control, or swipe down from above the screen to open Notification Center which has a new widget for settings shortcuts. I think that better organizes the desired features with the parameters that Apple has established.

Not sure I like that design. It looks really messy compared to the jailbreak mentioned in the article. Also, what happens when you have more than x number of apps that fit in the boxes you've set?

PS: I'm typing this as constructive criticism, not hate! Just my personal thoughts!

M

Mr.damien

Yeah, it can happen... a company with billions in cash suing a small developer... :mad:

It can happen but that's why I said they should patent the idea.

If they do, I have no worrie they will easily find a lawyer office that will just ask for a percentage of the lawsuit sentence in Texas.

----------

So they basically took the toggle idea from Samsung's TouchWiz UI and the slide to close an application from Android 4.0.

It just goes to show how far ahead iOS is compared to Android, and even so to get these features you need to jailbreak and void the warranty on your phone.

Fantastic innovation.

They are ahead. If not, you would not lose your time on an Apple forum trying to convince every people they are not.

jouster

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Connecticut
So they basically took the toggle idea from Samsung's TouchWiz UI and the slide to close an application from Android 4.0.

It just goes to show how far ahead iOS is compared to Android, and even so to get these features you need to jailbreak and void the warranty on your phone.

Fantastic innovation.

WebOS had slide-to-close.

Ah WebOS... If only...

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
I think I'm the only person on this site that's really not bothered by this. It wouldn't change the way I use my phone now at all. It's just really not that exciting an idea.

It is funny how people seem to be crying out for change in iOS just for change sake when 99% of the time a tech company changes their website and the vast majority of users go mental about "if its not broke don't fix it" etc etc.

M

Mr.damien

WebOS had slide-to-close.

Ah WebOS... If only...

yes if only HP didn't bought them. I am just wondering which company HP bought they didn't screwed up ? I see none.

----------

I think I'm the only person on this site that's really not bothered by this. It wouldn't change the way I use my phone now at all. It's just really not that exciting an idea.

It is funny how people seem to be crying out for change in iOS just for change sake when 99% of the time a tech company changes their website and the vast majority of users go mental about "if its not broke don't fix it" etc etc.

I agree with you but I like this idea. For me it's a small improvement of what we have today.

But I also agree that things should not change all the time. And the fun part of this is seeing all the people coming here saying that iOS is doomed because it doesn't change enough and promoting other OSes (Not to say that when you change stuff, users will complain too because they must learn smg new again...).

On the other side, reading designers article saying that good design take time and changing stuff every release is just a lazy path as they are using the users as beta testers instead of doing their homework and check what is the best by working.

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
There is no way Apple will implement this.
They are yesterday’s news. Their stock is dropping faster than Nortel.
I wish I didn’t buy the iPhone 5. :(

lokey

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2003
I like this, but why do all these concepts still feel like they have to hold up Apple's idea that the task switcher can only take up 1/4 or 1/3 of the screen from the bottom.

How about take up 3/4 of the screen and add those system toggles above the recently launched apps.

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
Yeah, open it up so you get your "coolness" but also have to deal with bugs and instability as one gets with the Android experience. You want it cool or do you want it to work? You can't get both.

----------

But it WORKS, so what difference does it make changing it just for the sake of so it can look "prettier". Do you use it or do you play with it? You're choosing senseless form over function.

----------

Those same guys from small companies don't make hardware or service millions of customer's nitpicking needs either.

iOS is so outdated it's pathetic. Function? Holding an icon until it wiggles then have to hit the x on EVERY app is just pathetic.
The fact that Apple hasn't seen this yet really tells us a lot about Apple.
Every iOS update I prey for innovation and instead we get 200 useless updates. 150 of which are for ****** Titter and Fasebook.

Last edited by a moderator:

CGagnon

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2007
Apple has used ideas from jailbreak community plenty of times before. Wouldn't be surprised if they hire the guys who made it to work on a future release.

----------

I like this design. I have always wished I could swipe up to bring up the multitasking bar. A multitouch swipe up for this "mission control" type interface would be cool too.

iRCL

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
Can't believe how many positive responses to this and people thinking it would actually make it in to iOS. It is junky and blingy, why show the app contents itself in the preview? Why have a bunch of swipe gestures?

I shouldn't be surprised that the JB community is all excited about this, as usual exhibiting a lack of taste and understanding of Apple products

----------

LMAO you fanboys kill me. iOS is so outdated it's pathetic. Function? Holding an icon until it wiggles then have to hit the x on EVERY app is just pathetic.
Every iOS update I prey for innovation and instead we get 200 useless updates. 150 of which are for ****** Titter and Fasebook.

If you're closing apps, you do not understand. Period

iRCL

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011

You realize there's like 0% real world applicability to seeing 12 apps since only a few would be in memory..

Swytch

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2006
Maybe I am missing something, but I really dont see what is so great about this? The reviewer in the video is way to excited over very small added features, and at the end he says apple's implementation is terrible? how is this such a drastic change?

taller icons? whoopty-doo
slide down to close apps with multi-touch? big deal
close all apps at once? saves presses and like a couple seconds?
extra toggle buttons that are all over the place in the apps they are useful?

I do see that it adds functionality and usefulness, but its not like they made it more like the desktop mission control or anything, they just slightly improved the current design and added a couple small features.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
so it's the same thing as the current task switcher...with thumbnails instead of app icons?

wow, call the Times.

Umm...no. Did you watch the video or at least read anything? There are gestures (e.g., swipe down on an app to close), enhancements (like prompting you to close Music, Spotify, or other apps if they're currently "active," a mistake I've made several times; or letting you close all at once), and more toggle buttons (e.g., Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and so on, in addition to just screen lock, volume, and whatnot).

Something tells me it's a bit more complicated than Apple would implement, but there are some nice ideas.

jordexj

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2012
They will soon buy it out and make it exclusive to iPhone 5S.

That's exactly what I was thinking... or they'll try to figure out a way to imitate it so they can save money... just like what they did to that app "growl" for the the mac...

MaSx

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2010
Apple will take this and call it some revolutionary feature. iOS is only that much better because of jailbreak community.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
I shouldn't be surprised that the JB community is all excited about this, as usual exhibiting a lack of taste and understanding of Apple products

Baha! Because apple always knows best right? Because apple has never taken from the jailbreak community before right? Ugh, it's android's willingness to implement new ideas that will hurt iOS more and more in the future.

iOS is like putting a governor on a Ferrari, software is holding back the fantastic hardware.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
More sales for flicking a switch? Sounds pretty good to me. I would wager that some sort of 'first party jailbreak' would appeal to many current android users.

Doubt it. Android users sing the holy grails of Android for much more than just the freedom. They don't like Apple's ecosystem or the iPhone. And why can't Google have customers? Does Apple have to have every customer on the planet?

There are and will always be 2 people, those who want it simple and working and one who likes issues and wants to fix them constantly. That example speaks for iPhone and Mac users vs. Android and Windows users. A very small user base wants what you want so why not just use Android since it does what you want? Why does the iPhone need to do everything?

----------

iOS is so outdated it's pathetic. Function? Holding an icon until it wiggles then have to hit the x on EVERY app is just pathetic.

This from a guy who has every iOS device in his signature. :rolleyes:

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
There are and will always be 2 people, those who want it simple and working and one who likes issues and wants to fix them constantly. That example speaks for iPhone and Mac users vs. Android and Windows users. A very small user base wants what you want so why not just use Android since it does what you want? Why does the iPhone need to do everything?

I want the iPhone to do everything because I believe it is the best device. Once jailbroken, it's not even a competition. IMO every potential android advantage is squashed once we're talking about jailbroken iOS aside from screen size if you want a larger phone I suppose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.