Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
My father is on the brink of buying an iMac. There's one thing however that looks like going to be a deal breaker: you cannot change the system font in OS-X (like in Windows which he uses now).

My father is in his mid-70s and his eyes are not as good as some years ago. But even I find the fonts sometimes quite small on my 27" iMac.

I am aware of the following options, but they are not complete solutions:
- change the font in Finder: only Finder is affected, not the rest
- change the screen resolution: makes all things bugger but is plain ugly as well
- use of cmd + and -: not handy if you have to do that every time

Is there any solution that I possibly missed?
(I had hoped that OS-X Lion would have the option to change system font size, but alas).

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
At first I turned off "font smoothing" for anything size 12 and under; this made the transition from Windows a little bit easier. As for everything else, I haven't found anything. I've upped the font size in Safari to a minimum of 14 which is great for surfing the web. With that and Finder you should be able to cover most of what your father will be doing...

Spike88

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
Tinkertool only changes the font sizes of text that can be changed. It cannot change the text used within application graphics - like within application menu / status bars.

At this point in time, Mac OSx does NOT allow small/medium/large (aka: Global DPI ratio settings). Only Windows x allows this feature. For example, Windows 7 - Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display panels. If wondering, I love using Windows 7 at 125%. Wish Mac OSx had this same feature as well. Perhaps within next Mac OS version...

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
Thanks all for your replies.

Tinkertool comes the most close I guess. But there isn't a overall solution for setting the font size systemwide (thus including menu's etc..).

Best thing for my father is to overthink if he can live with some part solutions.

interrobang

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2011
Also consider a Mac mini with a third-party monitor with a lower PPI ratio. That will keep the displayed size larger even though the point size is the same.

If you do get an iMac, consider the 21.5" model, which has a lower PPI than the 27" model.

Spike88

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
lexvo

Within my shop, I pick the best tool for the job. Trying to fit an inappropriate tool for the job is both dangerous and frustrating. And, its a time waster as well. For example, using a sharp knife when a hammer & chisel should be used instead.

With above in mind, what does your age 7x do with a computer? Simple email, simple word processing / print? Have a greater need for larger size fonts than other features?

Perhaps the "lower cost" Windows system is better for him? Especially if he's been using Windows systems for many years. Ya. Being on a GM forum and telling a person to buy a Dodge is nerving. But with your father's needs and wants in mind (and perhaps limited dollars - being on fixed income), the Windows x system might fit him better.

If wondering, my age 73 father would be happy with a Win xx tool. Especially for his simple email, file/print, U-tube surfing and google search tasks. Stuff that a Windows machine does quiet well (for a fraction of the cost).

Something to think about...

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
Also consider a Mac mini with a third-party monitor with a lower PPI ratio. That will keep the displayed size larger even though the point size is the same.

If you do get an iMac, consider the 21.5" model, which has a lower PPI than the 27" model.

Thanks, I will look into this.
And if an iMac, it would be a 21.5" anyway.

----------

lexvo

Within my shop, I pick the best tool for the job. Trying to fit an inappropriate tool for the job is both dangerous and frustrating. And, its a time waster as well. For example, using a sharp knife when a hammer & chisel should be used instead.

With above in mind, what does your age 7x do with a computer? Simple email, simple word processing / print? Have a greater need for larger size fonts than other features?

Perhaps the "lower cost" Windows system is better for him? Especially if he's been using Windows systems for many years. Ya. Being on a GM forum and telling a person to buy a Dodge is nerving. But with your father's needs and wants in mind (and perhaps limited dollars - being on fixed income), the Windows x system might fit him better.

If wondering, my age 73 father would be happy with a Win xx tool. Especially for his simple email, file/print, U-tube surfing and google search tasks. Stuff that a Windows machine does quiet well (for a fraction of the cost).

Something to think about...

You have got a very good point here.

As a matter of fact, my father-in-law also considered an iMac. But he eventually choose for a Windows machine, costing 60% of the cheapest iMac. And he's very happy with it :)

I told my father that a Windows machine might be an option for him. The thing is, some other family members all have Macs and they tell my father of course how great it is and stuff :)

But I agree with you: it is an option to be seriously considered.

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
I third (?) the suggestion to just stay with the Windoze system.

But, if you do still get the Mac, holding [Control] and scrolling will zoom the entire system.

thekb

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2010
Change resolution

I'll commit an act of heresy now, but I have the resolution set on my iMac lower than standard. If I set the resolution at the full 2560 x 1440, I would require a microscope to read text on websites and I am not that old (42), nor my eyesight all that bad.

When you first change the resolution, it looks a bit off, I confess. But, I promise that if you use it that way for a few minutes, you kind of get used to it.

It's great to have the higher resolution available when viewing pictures at full size and editing, but for everyday reading, the lower resolution ain't all that bad. Sorry, but it is true for me.

If you put the display icon in the menu bar, it is child's play to adjust the resolution on the fly.

tj2001

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2003
Florida - USA
The Hidden Gem Option?

Awesome suggests and possible options but I can't believe NO ONE mentioned Universal Access in the System Preferences. It may not be the best of picture but using the Display Inversion (screenshot attached) it can really make reading on screen much easier on the eyes!

As for the budget, I know Macs are pricey, but their OS X is undefeated in my opinion. Go with a Mac Mini set-up to keep your costs the lowest.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-11-16 at 1.35.59 AM.png
    Screen shot 2011-11-16 at 1.35.59 AM.png
    124.8 KB · Views: 502

Dal123

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2008
England
I use column view in finder, however the text is so small. I have downloaded tinker tool. Is it possible to enlarge the font size in the finder as I'm missing documents because I cannot see them.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
I realize this thread is a bit old was just curious is TinkerTool still the best option for making the system font bigger?

rutledjw

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2011
I realize this thread is a bit old was just curious is TinkerTool still the best option for making the system font bigger?

Dang, I was wondering the same. Sorry for the "nothing" reply, but I'd like ot know if there is a solution as well. Loving my 15" retina MBP, but would love a smaller font!

Steve Ballmer

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2009
Redmond, WA

I just tried it out on Mountain Lion and it has the same limitations as mentioned earlier: it can only alter the fonts within applications, not the system. So the menu bar font won't change, for example.

The only way to replace the system-wide font is to make a backup of Lucida Grande and then overwrite it with another font of your choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.