Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
just saw teh ipad 2 resale value thread, so i just wanna know the ipad 3 resale value

my model is a 16 gb wi-fi model

how much can i get?

if the ipad 4 is thinner and lighter, id love to upgrade.

waremaster

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
I just picked up an iPad 3 16gig wifi + 4g lte on Verizon in like new condition complete with a case for $460 not a bad price.

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
just saw teh ipad 2 resale value thread, so i just wanna know the ipad 3 resale value

how much can i get?

The iPad 4 is not thinner or lighter...go look on Apples website

Last edited:

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008

how much can i get?

Rumors of the iPad 5 are already churning and it makes sense for another early refresh. The iPad 4 is the same weight/thickness/design as the iPad3 so the iPad line seems overdue for a design update to make it fit in with the rest of the product line (thinner bezels, lighter, new features etc). So you're better off waiting for that than upgrading to the iPad 4 because you waited too long to get a good trade in value on your iPad 3.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
forgive me i meant the ipad 5, but how much resale value would i have?

can i sell it for 300? and it isnt mint condition it has a few dings,

ziggo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
Sold my iPad 3 32GB WiFi for $400 on Craig's List. Apple products have INSANELY high resell value if you keep them in good condition and keep the original packaging. I wouldn't say it has to be in MINT condition but certainly it has to be presentable, any dings or scraps can possibly bring down an offer price so you might want to be prepared to knock $25-30 dollars off your initial asking price. The good thing is that during the holiday season people are more in a rush to purchase, I put my iPad n Craig's list Monday of last week and by Wednesday I had 16 emails from people ready to buy

Last edited:

radiologyman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
Just sold my ip2 for $300, but in like new condition. My like new Ip3 had multiple offers above this price, but I will keep it for now since I sold ip2.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Craigslist resell value for ipad 3 or any other apple products depends on local market condition.

I live in the Orlando market, and it's brutal. So many people reselling in Orlando area and there a huge black market catering to international tourist visiting Disney and other theme parks.

I have ipad 3 64GB LTE Verizon ($829 plus taxes). I'd be lucky to get $500 in craigslist Orlando these days.

If you buy Apple iOS devices thinking strictly resale, than it's best to always get the cheapest model that way you minimize the hit you take. An iPad 3 16GB wifi you could probably get about $300-350 (so taking a $150-200 hit).

But I would be taking over a $300 lost in 8 months for top of the line iPad.

I keep 2 iPads around anyways for the kids. So in no rush to sell iPad 3 (I also have iPad 4).

Sure you can sell eBay but with eBay fees and shipping costs, the "net" selling is probably the same as craigslist and you get cash instead of potentail for risking ebay scams from buyers.

Piccio

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2012
If Apple is going to release a new iPad every 6 months (like rumors said), the resale value soon it will be worse than an Archos...

ziggo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
If Apple is going to release a new iPad every 6 months (like rumors said), the resale value soon it will be worse than an Archos...

I wouldn't say it'd get THAT bad. Remember an iPad 2 is STILL technically speaking a top tier tablet and resells for decent prices even given that its two generations old. People will pay a little more for a used but like new iPad 2-3 than they would a Kindle Fire (in my experience) because Apple is really only competing with THEMSELVES in the tablet market.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California

how much can i get?

You'd have to take into consideration that Walmart is currently offering 3rd generation iPads for a $100.00 discount.

Then, you'd have to further discount it because your device is used.

You'd probably be better off waiting for the Walmart deal to pass by before you go through with selling your device. That's what I would do if I were in your situation.

Rumors of the iPad 5 are already churning and it makes sense for another early refresh. The iPad 4 is the same weight/thickness/design as the iPad3 so the iPad line seems overdue for a design update to make it fit in with the rest of the product line (thinner bezels, lighter, new features etc). So you're better off waiting for that than upgrading to the iPad 4 because you waited too long to get a good trade in value on your iPad 3.

Rumors are exactly that -- just rumors. It wouldn't make sense holding out for an indefinite time period just because several noncredible sources are spreading rumors about iPad 5's being released. IMO, the iPad 4 has the perfect design -- I would not at all like to see them adopt the new iPod touch/iPhone/iPad mini designs -- I think it would be working backwards in terms of design.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
You'd probably be better off waiting for the Walmart deal to pass by before you go through with selling your device. That's what I would do if I were in your situation.

This ^^^

It sucks when you are about to sell something used and a place like Walnart whores out the price of new units.

Wait till the sale is over and you won't have to here potential buyers saying " Well Walmart is selling them new for $xxx.xx."

Bokes

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
The resale of value of all things Apple is taking a big hit recently. Too many people now own the products and with so many refreshes. In the past you could sell your old gear at a small loss. Now you're lucky to get 60% back.

That said if you don't need latest and greatest- you can haggle some great deals from those who are compelled to upgrade. Smell their desperation and exploit it!

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
thanks for the advice and suggestions guys, if the iPad 5 is going to be the same weight as the Mini im definitely upgrading.

itll make traveling so much easier since i carry so much crap (cMBP, iPad, iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPhone 3GS, Mophie Battery Sleeve, 2 other external battery packs, many many cables.

it'll make business travel much easier

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.