Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
The $799 mac mini is by far the best value for an ivy bridge based i7 quad computer (mac or PC --- call out anything you think rivals this little gem!). It is also perfect for my needs (audio production) and easily replaced a 2009 quad core MacPro. The 2013 mac pro will most likely be a large performance jump from the 2012 mini but it will come with a 3X price (at least).

I agree. I don't really follow developments or offerings within the PC world. But within Mac world, I feel this new '12 mini offers a fantastic bang for the buck. Especially if you go with the base 2.3 i7 and upgrade RAM to 16GB and SSD yourself. Not sure what else will give you the similar bang for the buck in terms of a Mac.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
I agree. I don't really follow developments or offerings within the PC world. But within Mac world, I feel this new '12 mini offers a fantastic bang for the buck. Especially if you go with the base 2.3 i7 and upgrade RAM to 16GB and SSD yourself. Not sure what else will give you the similar bang for the buck in terms of a Mac.

ACTUALLY it is the smallest cheapest quad of all.

Has some heat issues and a mediocre gpu but it is a nice machine.

As an addicted tinker It angers me a lot as 1/2 inch taller case with 2 fans an external 110 watt psu brick would mean a 650m gpu could be inside it.

then apple would finally have a good ht/gaming desktop other then a high priced mac pro.

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
ACTUALLY it is the smallest cheapest quad of all.

Has some heat issues and a mediocre gpu but it is a nice machine.

As an addicted tinker It angers me a lot as 1/2 inch taller case with 2 fans an external 110 watt psu brick would mean a 650m gpu could be inside it.

then apple would finally have a good ht/gaming desktop other then a high priced mac pro.

They wont do that - to make mini decent all the way pc, apples strategy os clear, you want sth better, buy imac... They dont care about few of us prefering mini over imac

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
They wont do that - to make mini decent all the way pc, apples strategy os clear, you want sth better, buy imac... They dont care about few of us prefering mini over imac

I want a big screen tv 27 inch does not cut it.

Right now my best option is a mac pro and hack a better gpu then the hd5870 that it comes with. I know apple will never sell the machine I want forcing me to own a windows and a mac.

Every once and a while I complain about it.

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
I want a big screen tv 27 inch does not cut it.

Right now my best option is a mac pro and hack a better gpu then the hd5870 that it comes with. I know apple will never sell the machine I want forcing me to own a windows and a mac.

Every once and a while I complain about it.

But here you will be cáled whiner cause apple does evyrithing perfect, even things they dont do;))

I would prefer little bigger mini with gf 650 - my dream computer, but will never happen

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
God I hope they don't go the way of the retinas! Soldered ram and flash memory is great for tiny notebooks but I love that I can gut and upgrade my media centre!

iamsen47

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2012
Kobe, Japan
Imagine if the next gen Mini came in the shape of the Air minus the screen and keyboard. Just a thin slab of aluminum with some ports along the left/right side.

Impractical, but kinda cool.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
Imagine if the next gen Mini came in the shape of the Air minus the screen and keyboard. Just a thin slab of aluminum with some ports along the left/right side.

Impractical, but kinda cool.

No thanks. I don't want expensive blade style SSD. I want to upgrade my ram myself. I also think it looks cool the way it is. Leave it.

deanbo

macrumors regular
May 6, 2003
Future Mac Mini?

Future Mac Mini? Or future Apple laptop with the lid closed?

20121008-163307.jpg

AlexMaximus

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
A400M Base
Ubuntu is the new Apple

By 2014 the Mac Mini won't be slimmer.. it won't even exist.

All computing will be done in The Cloud. We won't need computers on our desks any more because all the software and data will be floating in the clouds. Input devices such as keyboards and mice won't be necessary because we will communicate telepathically with The Cloud. The final transition began at midnight on December 21... That is the true meaning of the Mayan calendar event yesterday.

Apple has known this for a number of years and has been slowly evolving toward the inevitable transition. The primary goal is to gradually do away with all the computing devices that people have come to depend upon in their everyday lives. Unlike most other PC companies, Apple is very concerned that its customers not be too freaked out when the ultimate destination is reached. (It is no accident that Apple is located in central California, a place that is well-known for being open to New Age ideas. Microsoft has always been way behind Apple in this regard in part because it is located in Seattle, which is far away from any energy vortexes.)

The first step was to remove floppy drives from Macs. Optical drives were next; that process is almost complete. SSDs were created so people would become accustomed to using a data storage device without moving parts.

Apple introduced Macs that gradually became lighter and thinner so that consumers wouldn't notice that the hardware was really disappearing, slowly but surely...

Bluetooth devices freed us from cables that will no longer be necessary because The Cloud doesn't have any ports. Apple's Thunderbolt technology is the final step: it is extremely fast and the name was carefully chosen so that computer users wouldn't be frightened when the release of OS 10.10 (Sky Cheetah) turns all of our Macs into organic pumpkins. (I have a great recipe for pumpkin pie if anyone is interested...)

So try to enjoy the waning of computer hardware. Soon the days of speculating about the release of the next Mac, arguing about the importance of a discrete vs. integrated GPU and posting videos of box-openings will only be a distant memory, experiences we can share with our grandchildren when they ask us for stories about how life was before The Cloud.

The weird thing is.. -you tried to be funny in your article. Like this scenario will never happen. Never ever.. You should realise that you are closer to the truth then most people think possible. However there is one small step in between, - and that is the cellphone. It will be the intermediate stop between now and your scenario detailed above.

Watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBWP4h48sFQ

Give it 10 years and your story will be more true then you will like....
I personally promise you that.

potatis

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2006
I'd like if they'd shave some of the width/depth off, to make it look like the original Mini but smaller. Things like SD card slot / FW800 and 2nd internal HDD bay could probably be left out without many people missing them... But they probably won't do it in at least 2 years, seing that the original Mini's design lasted 5 years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.