Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
^^^^^^

They want to be able to fit it in their pocket?? I don't know too many articles of clothing where a larger ipad would fit.

I agree with you though. Folks have been carting laptops around for years and now an ipad that isn't a MINI isn't any good to carry around?? :)

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Really?

If it was like this:

iPad starts at $300

iPad mini starts at $500

I'd still have bought my mini. Honestly. I value form factor over price, funny that, and I'll bet a lot of other people do too. If it was price alone that decided it, Android tablets would be far outselling the mini (and the full sized iPad for that matter).

Yes, really.

Go to Apple's website if you think those prices aren't right.

----------

Yep. I sold my iPad 3 to upgrade to an iPad Mini purely because I wanted a smaller device. If there's a choice I will always go for the smaller form factor, it's why I have an MBA 11" rather than a 13", and why, if I was going to swap to an Android phone, I'd make sure not to buy one with an oversized screen.

LOL smaller does not equal better.

Portability does not equal better.

ljmjag

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2005
I guess you missed the memo. It's not about specs anymore. It's about what you can do and where/how often you can do it. What good is that great resolution if I leave the iPad home more often than not or put it down after a shorter period of time because its heavier?

The ultimate iPad (and Apple) is about usability, not specs.

Guess I missed the memo too. It has always been about specs - always moving forward - not backward or stagnant. Old chip, old screen - that's why the refresh will be sooner rather then later. Too many whispers already about it.

TJ5921

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2011
Guess I missed the memo too. It has always been about specs - always moving forward - not backward or stagnant. Old chip, old screen - that's why the refresh will be sooner rather then later. Too many whispers already about it.

Why would they rush a refresh when it's currently their best selling product? Why not milk all the money they can, then drop it in Fall 2013 just before Christmas? They'll have those who waited it out for a retina mini as well as those who got a year of use or less looking to upgrade. The 1st gen mini will continue to sell well through fall 2013.

ljmjag

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2005
Why would they rush a refresh when it's currently their best selling product? Why not milk all the money they can, then drop it in Fall 2013 just before Christmas? They'll have those who waited it out for a retina mini as well as those who got a year of use or less looking to upgrade. The 1st gen mini will continue to sell well through fall 2013.

Are we talking about the same company? Hard drives were selling just fine and were nice and cheap so Apple went to an SSD set up. Nothing wrong with DVD drives or a number of well entrenched ports - so Apple got rid of them and changed the standard. I don't think they care about what's convenient. Once the holiday season ends - as soon as they can ensure quality control and ramp up production - the refresh will come. The object is to attract new buyers - since once you have one already, whenever you decide to upgrade since you will be immersed in the iOS platform, they just assume that you will upgrade with another Apple device. The job is to entice new purchasers.

TJ5921

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2011
Lol ok sure
----------

And actually your outright wrong go back and ready my post again lol. I never even compared the iPhone to the mini never mind the looks haha I said if I needed a smaller device than my iPad my iPhone will do just fine so do us all a favor and read before you post thanks

You didn't?

"Wouldn't even consider something smaller that's why I carry my iPhone with me plus it's faster lighter and looks better than the mini".

Last edited by a moderator:

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
You didn't?

"Wouldn't even consider something smaller that's why I carry my iPhone with me plus it's faster lighter and looks better than the mini".

what's wrong with what he said? the iPhone 5 is superior to the mini...it's a dang shame when you can read text better on that little thing than you can on the mini...the select few who are saying smaller is better, why would you use that massive heavy mini that DOESN'T fit in most pockets when you can tote a superior device much easier... the mini is the yugo of the apple line directed towards kids. the new commercial "I'll be home for Christmas" suggests so. that is why the adult shows up on the mini while the girl singing shows up on the 4....

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
what's wrong with what he said? the iPhone 5 is superior to the mini...it's a dang shame when you can read text better on that little thing than you can on the mini...the select few who are saying smaller is better, why would you use that massive heavy mini that DOESN'T fit in most pockets when you can tote a superior device much easier... the mini is the yugo of the apple line directed towards kids. the new commercial "I'll be home for Christmas" suggests so. that is why the adult shows up on the mini while the girl singing shows up on the 4....

Commercials =\= Reality

TJ5921

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2011

One is a phone and the other is a tablet. They serve different purposes and are best used as complimentary devices. Again you're comparing a phone to a tablet...

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
Maybe that will change in the future, witness the Note 2. I assume many would not feel the need for a tablet with that device.

Personally, I'd be down for a tablet phone with bluetooth. I just don't know if that s taking off, generally.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Are we talking about the same company? Hard drives were selling just fine and were nice and cheap so Apple went to an SSD set up. Nothing wrong with DVD drives or a number of well entrenched ports - so Apple got rid of them and changed the standard. I don't think they care about what's convenient. Once the holiday season ends - as soon as they can ensure quality control and ramp up production - the refresh will come. The object is to attract new buyers - since once you have one already, whenever you decide to upgrade since you will be immersed in the iOS platform, they just assume that you will upgrade with another Apple device. The job is to entice new purchasers.

The job is to entice new purchasers certainly BUT there are still plenty of folks waiting to get this Mini! :)

----------

The old chip and screen doesn't seem to matter versus size and weight which plenty of folks have traded into or bought one regardless that they already owned one with retina display and more horses.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
You didn't?

The screen looks better. I didn't say the body that's a matter of opinion.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Yes, really.

Go to Apple's website if you think those prices aren't right.

----------

LOL smaller does not equal better.

Portability does not equal better.

I think you didn't understand what I was saying - in the world upside down where the iPad price was the mini price and vice versa, I'd still buy the mini. I'm not saying smaller and more portable means better but rather perfect, because those are my criteria: small and portable, and I'll always (well, probably always) be willing to pay more to get it, if that's what is required to obtain smaller and more portable.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
I think you didn't understand what I was saying - in the world upside down where the iPad price was the mini price and vice versa, I'd still buy the mini. I'm not saying smaller and more portable means better but rather perfect, because those are my criteria: small and portable, and I'll always (well, probably always) be willing to pay more to get it, if that's what is required to obtain smaller and more portable.

What if the iPad was just as light as the iPad mini while also having the thinner bezel?

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Yep. I sold my iPad 3 to upgrade to an iPad Mini purely because I wanted a smaller device. If there's a choice I will always go for the smaller form factor, it's why I have an MBA 11" rather than a 13", and why, if I was going to swap to an Android phone, I'd make sure not to buy one with an oversized screen.

We've got same criteria in devices. I've also got the MBA 11" - just got the new one and I couldn't be more thrilled with it, and the iPad mini complements it so perfectly. I felt if I were to get a full sized iPad it would be silly along with an MBA 11" (not to mention I didn't want the size of a full sized iPad again), but the mini and MBA 11" are perfect together.

What if the iPad was just as light as the iPad mini while also having the thinner bezel?

It wouldn't matter, although, that would be a lovely device (the full sized iPad, which I said in an earlier post needed to try and be as thin as the mini).

I would always consider a full sized iPad for certain situations (perhaps in the kitchen - dedicated to that room would be brilliant I think), but most other locations the form factor of the mini is always, always going to be preferred. I have nothing against the full sized iPad, except I think it's too big for me. I used to own a gen 1 iPad, loved it very much, but always thought something smaller would be perfect for me.

For me, smaller and thinner and more portable are big things. My laptop is an MBA 11", not because I couldn't afford a MBP 13 or 15" (even retina), but because I wanted the 11" form factor. If the MBA and the mini upgrade to retina, I'll happily upgrade my devices, but I won't ever think less of them today for not having retina or bigger screens, I'll always think they are perfect as they are. Small, thin, lightweight - it's how I prefer my devices.

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008

If you say so and that is why a new iPad 5 is coming out in March to look like a MINI. LOL.

m00min

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
We've got same criteria in devices. I've also got the MBA 11" - just got the new one and I couldn't be more thrilled with it, and the iPad mini complements it so perfectly. I felt if I were to get a full sized iPad it would be silly along with an MBA 11" (not to mention I didn't want the size of a full sized iPad again), but the mini and MBA 11" are perfect together.

My old iPad 3 was about 6cm shorter in length than the MBA 11". I felt it was totally redundant for me. If I wanted to take the iPad anywhere I could just as easily take the MBA instead.

The MBA 11" and iPad Mini is the perfect combination. :)

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
The iPhone is an iPod with cellular voice and data, the Mini is a medium sized iPod, and the iPad is a large iPod. At least, that's how I see it. So, are medium sized soft drinks the perfect size? Or, is it just that sometimes people prefer medium and sometimes they prefer large?

Personally, I'm glad people like the Mini and have a device they enjoy. I think the iPad is the perfect size for me. Great to have choice. It will be interesting to see what happens in March :)

jwlbel

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2012
Another main reason I think that the mini is outselling the regular size is that so many people already have the full size iPad. It would have probably been the opposite if the mini was out for a few years and Apple introduced the full size. People would be all over a new bigger size.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
If you say so and that is why a new iPad 5 is coming out in March to look like a MINI. LOL.

Says who? The larger ipads will be somewhat smaller and weigh less is my guess. It doesn't mean a Mini 2 is what is coming next. Apple saw Mini sales outclassing the larger ipads and will react accordingly.

The next Mini 2 in my opinion will be with Retina IF Apple can keep the size and weight to a minimum. They ain't going to happen in March.

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
Says who? The larger ipads will be somewhat smaller and weigh less is my guess. It doesn't mean a Mini 2 is what is coming next. Apple saw Mini sales outclassing the larger ipads and will react accordingly.

The next Mini 2 in my opinion will be with Retina IF Apple can keep the size and weight to a minimum. They ain't going to happen in March.

Dated means it doesn't need updating in a few months. They are already updating the iPad AGAIN. The 3 and 4 had seriously short cycles.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/ipad-5-coming-in-march/

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Apple should just add the phone option to the tablet....but but then people would just gt a mini and knock out two birds with one stone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.