Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
I am going through the process of putting all my backed up photos/video recorded from my external and wanted to put them all inside iPhoto. Well it turns out it doesnt accept them, so just curious where are people putting their videos recorded via iPhone or whatever? Should I just make a folder labeled "Video" and put it in the Movies folder?

It would have been nice to have them within iPhoto.

jmantn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
Tn
I too am looking for an answer from more experienced users but to let u know there is a folder for movies by default like there is a folder of pictures and documents.

I'm also expecting an upgrade to apeture and iLife apps but doesn't help now and who knows when those updates will happen

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
I too am looking for an answer from more experienced users but to let u know there is a folder for movies by default like there is a folder of pictures and documents.

I'm also expecting an upgrade to apeture and iLife apps but doesn't help now and who knows when those updates will happen
Yeah, Im aware of that and was saying I guess thats where ill put them. Again its really dumb iPhoto doesnt accept these vids as most are shot with iPhones and Pics relate with one another.

So you're saying Aperture doesn't accept .mov video either? Wow so how do we manage these just dump our mov files into the "Movies" folder?!

MetzoPaino

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
iTunes now has a home movie folder so I guess there. It may have always had one, but I've never noticed it before.

trigf

Suspended
Jun 16, 2009
I am going through the process of putting all my backed up photos/video recorded from my external and wanted to put them all inside iPhoto. Well it turns out it doesnt accept them, so just curious where are people putting their videos recorded via iPhone or whatever? Should I just make a folder labeled "Video" and put it in the Movies folder?

It would have been nice to have them within iPhoto.

What are you talking about? I have .mov files in my iPhoto library. I even setup a Smart Album to filter all the movies into their own album. Check out this screenshot

Attachments

• iPhoto.png
    iPhoto.png
    372.8 KB · Views: 257

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
What are you talking about? I have .mov files in my iPhoto library. I even setup a Smart Album to filter all the movies into their own album. Check out this screenshot

Wow that is very strange as when I tried importing folders of photos as well as .mov movies I got a pop up saying the movie files werent added as they werent supported or something to that sort. Now that I have them sorted into their own folder ive added them and they went in fine.

How do I set up a smart album so they're separate? Also when people import their photos here do they delete the originals? Im kind of scared to to do that. lol

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
I'm wondering the same thing?

It scares me as I cant quickly find the actual jpg files easily, but if you look somewhere in the settings you can actually view them in Finder. I wonder how hard it would be though to retain all these said photos from a backup via Time Machine or CCC since OSX seems like it hides them through iPhoto.

Chuckstones

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2012
I'm not sure if I have done this correctly!:eek:

But I created a movies folder in my pictures (Finder) transfered my videos via the 'photo transfer app'

Created a smart folder in iPhoto titled movies.
Under this I can create sub folders for different video. And drag and drop from finder!

I got confused just typing that. So can understand anyone else being confused!!:(

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
I'm not sure if I have done this correctly!:eek:

But I created a movies folder in my pictures (Finder) transfered my videos via the 'photo transfer app'

Created a smart folder in iPhoto titled movies.
Under this I can create sub folders for different video. And drag and drop from finder!

I got confused just typing that. So can understand anyone else being confused!!:(

I dont think you need a folder labeled movies. If you just drag and drop whatever photos be it from a iPhone or External HD into iPhoto it automatically makes copies of these .mov files and stores them on your HDD. So if you make a folder and put the movies into Finder and then drag and drop as well I think youll have duplicates. For instance select a video in iPhoto and select File > View in Finder. It probably will point you to another location other then where you have yours stored in Finder. iPhoto makes its own copy and places it in its own location.

That is at least how I understand it...correct me if I'm wrong.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
That's where my wife keeps hers local (backups go to SmugMug).

Me, I'm slightly more techie (read: waaaaay more), so I keep mine on an external backup drive and upload edited to YouTube for family consumption.

Chuckstones

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2012
I dont think you need a folder labeled movies. If you just drag and drop whatever photos be it from a iPhone or External HD into iPhoto it automatically makes copies of these .mov files and stores them on your HDD. So if you make a folder and put the movies into Finder and then drag and drop as well I think youll have duplicates. For instance select a video in iPhoto and select File > View in Finder. It probably will point you to another location other then where you have yours stored in Finder. iPhoto makes its own copy and places it in its own location.

Thanks Bob.

I'm keeping backups for all my video and music for the time being anyway in finder. Until I get my head around everything. Then I will delete when I know everything is sorted correctly!

Merry Xmas btw!!:D

----------

Ahh. I think I understand where you are coming from now!
There is an iPhoto folder in finder. I think that is the backup!!
I have all my pictures from my old pc separate. So having just checked that they are in iPhoto folder I will delete them!!

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Thanks Bob.

I'm keeping backups for all my video and music for the time being anyway in finder. Until I get my head around everything. Then I will delete when I know everything is sorted correctly!

----------

I have all my pictures from my old pc separate. So having just checked that they are in iPhoto folder I will delete them!!
Hmm well when I open Finder I dont see an iPhoto folder. Does yours show in the left column? In "pictures" it shows an iPhoto icon though

The only reason Im saying it makes a copy of them is because in iPhoto if you select a pic you can choose to view in Finder. They seem to be hidden somewhere though. It's very confusing:confused:

Merry Christmas to u too, Chuck!!!

----------

Thanks Bob.

----------

You know what Chuck?? I found where they are no need to have double copies in your "Movies" folder or whatever.

Go to Pictures in Finder. Select iPhoto Library and right click it, now select Show Package Contents. Now select Masters. Keep clicking through the folders until you reach all your photos. They are all here as well as .mov files you dumped into the app.

I think I'm going to safely delete them from my backed up external now since they are all safe here. I will then use Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner to just back up my entire machine. :cool::apple:

Chuckstones

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2012
Thanks Bob you're a star!!

I just need to get my head around how OSX works. The folders I am looking at in finder are just my favourites!!:rolleyes:
I also feel that I can now delete everything from there now as like you say they are all backed up elsewhere!
Also have a new external HDD being backed up via time machine so no need to worry!!

Better get to bed. It's nearly 2.00 am here in the UK. And Santa will be coming down the chimney soon!!:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.