Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
So I have a new iMac, iPad 2, Apple TV, daughter iPhone 4, kids getting minis, I have an S3.

On another thread I've discussed wether to buy an iPhone 5 so I won't go into that here.

So I use iTunes for all media, but I don't buy or rent movies off iTunes, i use my own encodes, I do buy music but its DRM free so works everywhere, I use the free Google music for cloud which works on my iPad via an app called gMusic. I don't buy any books off iBooks.

So when people are saying I'm in the Apple Eco system, what will it do for me? And what does it do for you?

Safari tabs is decent when I'm sofa surfing with my iPad. But am I missing out? Is there a reason or me to get an iPhone 5 because of the Apple Eco system?

Cheers

Gage

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
Morpheus: The Matrix is a system, Neo. That system is our enemy. But when you’re inside, you look around, what do you see? Businessmen, teachers, lawyers, carpenters. The very minds of the people we are trying to save. But until we do, these people are still a part of that system and that makes them our enemy. You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inert, so hopelessly dependent on the system, that they will fight to protect it.

Just replace Matrix with Apple Eco system.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Next question: do you use iCloud in any way to sync your devices ? Or FaceTime/iMessage. I guess you don't really.

And how many paid apps you have ?

Beeing in the Eco System means: highly depend on services Apple offer. Let it be apps you can reuse on multiple devices, easy purchasing of new apps via AppStore, syncs devices easily, use DRMed content extensively, having a 30pin dock connector in your car hifi system.

You seems to be less depend on Apple. That keeps you more flexible as long you keep content device-agnostic.

Last edited:

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
It is basically a system of Apple devices- all your devices work with iTunes, iCloud, each other, etc. If you get a phone that wasn't in the Apple ecosystem, it wouldn't be as compatible, and many of the features of your Apple devices would not be mirrored on the other device, as it isn't part of the Apple ecosystem.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
For hardware:

Everything plays well with each other. My videos from my phone stream directly through my AppleTV and onto my TV. My media loads onto every iDevice I have without having to convert it, and if I upgrade it literally is a two click process to transfer everything back over to the new device.

For software:

Apple supports and updates everything regularly. Unlike my brother who is still waiting for the last Android release, my devices stay updated and stay relevant far longer (My dad's 3G just stopped getting support after 4 years... you're lucky to get one with Android). I can also carry the software with me from device to device, upgrade to upgrade, seamlessly (even from the cloud if I want to download something from a while ago I didn't think I'd need but changed my mind).

I can also count on developers support because of the user base. Because of the financial ecosystem (I have heard it is generally far more profitable to develop software for iDevices), it usually means we get all of the latest software first (ar at least simulataneously). It also keeps developers interested in updating (I believe (and I could be wrong here) that Apple iOS software is updated almost 3 times as often as Android). Even if that isn't entirely accurate, bug fixes and updates usually happen pretty fast on iOS.

Then there's POLISH. Even if some fanboys cite a lack of progress or "innovation" there is no argument that the "closed-garden" ecosystem has led to an extreme level of refinement. Saying everything "works" just doesn't do it justice. My 2 year old can navigate the software. Not everything of course, but he can unlock, play some games (not very well haha, but he likes the music and colors), and pull up pictures/videos. It's amazing how intuitive it really is in the hands of someone who still poops his pants :D.

It's not for everyone, and there are a few sacrifices (they don't always play well with OTHER hardware for example), but the Apple ecosystem is second to none for this kind of technology.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
So I have a new iMac, iPad 2, Apple TV, daughter iPhone 4, kids getting minis, I have an S3.

On another thread I've discussed wether to buy an iPhone 5 so I won't go into that here.

So I use iTunes for all media, but I don't buy or rent movies off iTunes, i use my own encodes, I do buy music but its DRM free so works everywhere, I use the free Google music for cloud which works on my iPad via an app called gMusic. I don't buy any books off iBooks.

So when people are saying I'm in the Apple Eco system, what will it do for me? And what does it do for you?

Safari tabs is decent when I'm sofa surfing with my iPad. But am I missing out? Is there a reason or me to get an iPhone 5 because of the Apple Eco system?

Cheers

All of your apps work on all of your devices. You have access to Apple exclusive apps like GarageBand, iMovie, Find My Friends, iTunes remote, iPhoto, Keynote, wifi iTunes sync and backup, Find My Iphone...etc. Services like Airplay, iCloud, FaceTime, iMessage, photo stream, shared photo streams, iTunes Match...etc will work.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
What exactly IS the Apple Eco system

Is when a vendor compels you to buy everything THEIR.

For example, with Apple, basically you are stuck with iTunes, there are some Windows alternatives that I know of but they don't work so seamlessly.

Seamless = when both A & B work together and lots of time you don't even know whether you have crossed from A to B or viceversa.

Sure I don't buy music from iTunes either but IT IS SO EASY. They got you CC, you just search and click, and BAM, it's on your device, that's what many people do, they are not the finicky amongst us who must get un-compressed CD and rip stuff ourselves. We are in the minority.

One aspect of the Apple eco-system that hit me: I want to wirelessly mirror my IOS screen to the HDTV. I have no other choice but to buy an Apple TV for the task, there is no alternative even though I rather buy another streaming device that's more versatile than the ATV.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I agree on apps, although even then there's a problem. I buy an app on my iPad, then it an be on my daughters iPhone (and their minis from tomorrow!)

But it means I have to have one iTunes account (mine) on all the devices. Means though that if she's out and about, she can't download any free apps even as it asks for my iTunes password, which I'd rather keep.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
you still could use multiple iTunes accounts on one device; of course only one at a time. Its rather painful and I don't suggest that way. Specially in case of updates. Once you buy music there is even a 90day lock period in switching ID's on a device (its ok for apps; right now)

Another way is: you could gift apps to your daughters' devices and let them use their own Apple ID. Downside here: you might end up purchase multiple copies (which would matching the TOS). But it keeps the things clean; depend on the age of your daughters they might want to manage their accounts themselves.

I actually gave my son my old iPad2 and setup an Apple ID for him only; the device itself has parental control so he can't really do anything wired. No FB, twitter, AppStore or Safari (yet). But FaceTime and iMessage.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2010
I'm in the apple eco system with my iphone, because even though I use differen't apps, they all sync with the default apps such as calendar and mail.I also have an imac, and ipad as well as a MBP, so I am pretty much heavily embedded in the eco system, but if your not reliant on any apple services such as iCloud and itunes, then do what you want to do, you have great choices!

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
For me it's the iCloud synchronisation of reminders, calendar and notes combined with photo stream and the app stores (icloud saves etc as well!).

Probably some other stuff, but these are my favourite things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.