Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i-sidd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
Hi,

This is new to me and its going to be a part of my new job, I was wondering what stategies can I present so that we can reach out to our cuomers.

Righ now we do have a medium base of customers, but how can we expand that, become more visible. Th eindustry is helathcare and business is research on health devices.

We do have fB and twitter and blog page, but need to reach out to more in the helathcare field.

Can anyone share some ideas?

jsgreen

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
NH
This question is kind of like "how long is a piece of string?"

For starters, you need to first understand your current customer base, figure out which of them are driving the majority of revenue (80/20 rule might apply, where 80% of your revenues come from 20% of your customers). Then figure out from the revenue-driving group if there are characteristics which will help you connect with them (age ranges, income, geography, how did they find your company (through what communication channel), how do they want to be communicated with...). After you learn all that you should have some direction on what marketing would work...it all starts with understanding your customers.

i-sidd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
This question is kind of like "how long is a piece of string?"

For starters, you need to first understand your current customer base, figure out which of them are driving the majority of revenue (80/20 rule might apply, where 80% of your revenues come from 20% of your customers). Then figure out from the revenue-driving group if there are characteristics which will help you connect with them (age ranges, income, geography, how did they find your company (through what communication channel), how do they want to be communicated with...). After you learn all that you should have some direction on what marketing would work...it all starts with understanding your customers.

I understand what you are saying, however I was hoping to give our marketing team some ideas so that we can generate awareness.

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
I understand what you are saying, however I was hoping to give our marketing team some ideas so that we can generate awareness.

Understandable, but we also don't have much to go on.

What sort of marketing do you currently do? Do you have a very tech savvy/social media aware client base? Is your business very referral based? What promotions have you done in the past that were the most successful? Etc.

Without having any idea of the audience, past strategies, successes, and failures it's hard to be able to give much direction.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Hi,

This is new to me and its going to be a part of my new job, I was wondering what stategies can I present so that we can reach out to our cuomers.

Righ now we do have a medium base of customers, but how can we expand that, become more visible. Th eindustry is helathcare and business is research on health devices.

We do have fB and twitter and blog page, but need to reach out to more in the helathcare field.

Sorry, but I don't think this is the place to start getting ideas from. I am Board member of a an arts non-profit group. We are in a completely different field, of course, but we had exactly the same questions ... how do we reach out to our customers, become more visible, etc etc.

After looking at all the option, and despite being an arts non-profit organization with no money - we coughed up the cash to hire a consultant. It took nearly a year to figure out the questions, to identify who to contact, how to contact them. There was constant communication between the consultant and the Board to make sure that we were asking what we needed to ask. The actual survey and then crunching the numbers took only a couple of months, at most.

There are still gaps ... and we will likely do a 2nd round in this process. But it was money very well spent.... despite putting a hole in our year-end financial statements.

Get a professional to help with this. It will take time to do it right.

Last edited:

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
oooops... I've, uh, changed that. I don't know that it needed fixing... but maybe some clarification...

Nah, it was just fine and wasn't insulting or mean. Read in context it made sense. It just happened to make me snicker. :)

Overall I would say your post was excellent and gave some good insight into the original question.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Nah, it was just fine and wasn't insulting or mean. Read in context it made sense. It just happened to make me snicker. :)

Overall I would say your post was excellent and gave some good insight into the original question.

Thanks.

Problem was, once I read it the alternative way I couldn't see it the first way. So, I guess I did it for myself. :)

Merry Holidays!

7DSniper

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2012
South Florida
Hi,

I would start with spell check

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.