Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last Friday, we noted that the Jobs family's new yacht had been impounded by Dutch authorities as a result of a dispute over the design fee to be paid to famed French designer Philippe Starck. Starck had claimed that he was due to be paid EUR9 million for designing the yacht, while the Jobs family said that the agreed rate was 6% of the EUR105 million construction cost for the yacht, or roughly EUR3 million less than Starck claimed he was owed.

jobs_yacht_venus.jpg
AFP now reports that the yacht has been freed after the Jobs family posted a security deposit to a bank account.
"The Venus is no longer impounded, we have found a solution," Gerard Moussault, a Hague-based lawyer for the Jobs estate, told AFP.

"A security deposit was paid into a bank account, but I cannot say for how much," Moussault said after French designer Starck last week asked Amsterdam bailiffs to seize the sleek 70-metre (230-foot) yacht.
The yacht remains in harbor in Amsterdam due to bad weather, and the report notes that the yacht is scheduled to be transported by ship to the United States to be turned over to the Jobs family at an unspecified date.

Article Link: Steve Jobs' Yacht Released After Security Deposit Posted

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Thank goodness! Now the Jobs family has something to put underneath the Christmas tree for the kids!

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
How is the private yacht of a past CEO's family getting so much coverage on here? And front page too?

----------

Thank goodness! Now the Jobs family has something to put underneath the Christmas tree for the kids!

That would be one quick trip to the states...

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K

DanielSw

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
Clearwater, FL
No, it's not. It's beautiful.

I'd love to see closeups of deck areas and interiors.

I hope they put it to good use, or sell it to someone who will.

It's like a Frank Lloyd Wright house: significant in its uniqueness and boldness of concept.

Last edited by a moderator:

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
does it chime when you turn it on?
where do you set your apple id & log-in your icloud account?
are google maps pre-installed?
is there an FAQ anywhere?

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah your yacht blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah you agree blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah nothing blah blah blah
______________________Decline___Agree

Last edited:

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula

Attachments

• dyt.jpg
    dyt.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 949
Last edited:

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
No, it's not. It's beautiful.

I'd love to see closeups of deck areas and interiors.

I hope they put it to good use, or sell it to someone who will.

It's like a Frank Lloyd Wright house: significant in its uniqueness and boldness of concept.

To each, his own... I find it cold and ugly personally.

I just hope that people that find it beautiful, find it so because of their own tastes and not just because it was a SJ design...

the problem with this yacht up to now is that we have all seen it through just one particular angle & the iMacCockpit. Extra paparazzi material have yet to surface in order to be able to fully appreciate the design

--edit
jeez, no pool?

iTiki

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2007
Maui, Hawaii
I think it is an awesome ship. it's unique and not a clone of countless other yachts already out there. Sort of like Apple as opposed to PCs. I can easily see why S.J. approved the design and had the ship built.

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
I just hope that people that find it cold and ugly do so because of their own taste and not because they will never be able to afford something like that and are jealous.

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
The only reason I'd buy a boat is to sail it across oceans and such. The idea that a custom yacht can't make it home from where it was built sounds like a waste to me, but then, they say a boat is a hole in the ocean in which you pour money.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
The only reason I'd buy a boat is to sail it across oceans and such. The idea that a custom yacht can't make it home from where it was built sounds like a waste to me, but then, they say a boat is a hole in the ocean in which you pour money.

They are designed for stability and plenty of space when cruising around coastal shores and moored up at lovely marinas. They have to have stronger hulls, different designs and a lot more equipment taking up room if they want to be safe to cross oceans.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.