Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Keep in mind that the US carrier flavor of the GS3 is dual core where the big boy (available direct from Samsung and various other outlets) is quad. My experience was only with the dual core model, but I most DEFINITELY noticed lag under heavy load.

Was it a deal killer? Nope. I have often said that were it NOT for the iPhone I'd be a droid user, but people who say the GS3 never lags are either referring to the international version (maybe, I haven't really played with one), or aren't tasking the GS3 hard enough. For instance, I can make my old V3 RAZR "never lag" too if I just don't push it very hard. Saying the RAZR never lags though would be a bit untrue:p.

The Apple ecosystem, the level of OS polish (despite it not being "innovative" whatever that actually means...), that the resale value (even damaged it holds up amazingly because of the number of repair shops) is usually 20-30% more (and it was more than that until VERY recently)... Those are the real deal killers for me.

Here's a quirk almost never discussed either: Once you committ to the iPhone you can rest easy knowing that you have the "latest and greatest" for 10-18 months without lusting over the "iPhone 5GS3+" launching a month after you bought the "5GS3".

If that's the "innovation" people keep talking about I'm perfectly happy leaving that to the fandroid crowd...

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
My god, i only lasted 2 days with the S3 before switched back to the iphone 5.

What i missed from s3 is only the removable battery. It's really great to have removable battery so i can just put the extra battery in and the capacity is at 100% again.

Wish iphone will have this feature but i doubt that will happen.

You can always get a battery case for the iPhone 5 when they start coming out.

MACis122

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2010
Why is it that everyone complains that the screens are over saturated. Do they not know that there are presets for the display where you can have it look the way you want.

Namtaro

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2011
Why is it that everyone complains that the screens are over saturated. Do they not know that there are presets for the display where you can have it look the way you want.

Where's the setting? I don't remember there being a setting or preset for the screen's saturation last time I touched an Android... or any phone for that matter.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Are you serious? You can't even acknowledge the screens on both of those phones are fantastic? Even if you hate the Android OS-I do-you have to man up and admit it's superior traits.
Unless you hate pentile matrix displays (the grid sticks out like a sore thumb). As soon as I turned one on and saw that it was downhill from there. Not that I mind JellyBean. It's getting there for me.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 2, 2006
Sorry for not mentioning the reasons. Here it is:

1. Bulky, slippery, Now i understand why apple is right about a one hand operation.

2. The more apps you open, the lag the s3 becomes so you need to clear all the apps regularly in the multitask bar.

3. Home button is not comfortable to press.

4. Apps counterparts are not as polished as in the iOS, for example, tapatalk hd and flipboards had a slight lag when scrolling and browsing where as it smooth in iOS versions.

5. No imessage, i missed my friends!

6. Reading website is easier on the retina display even though the screen size is smaller.

7. Photo results arent as good as the iphone 5.

8. Volumes too low and the placement of speaker is on the back and sometimes sounds too low when you place it on the bed or table while watching videos.

I can go brag about this all year long but i'll stop here.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO

1. Bulky, slippery, Now i understand why apple is right about a one hand operation.

2. The more apps you open, the lag the s3 becomes so you need to clear all the apps regularly in the multitask bar.

4. Apps counterparts are not as polished as in the iOS, for example, tapatalk hd and flipboards had a slight lag when scrolling and browsing where as it smooth in iOS versions.

6. Reading website is easier on the retina display even though the screen size is smaller.

8. Volumes too low and the placement of speaker is on the back and sometimes sounds too low when you place it on the bed or table while watching videos.

Thank you for, at least, responding.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
I'll give you my take. 3 of my co-workers have the SGS III. I had the 4s. Being a previous Android rooter my coworkers give me endless hell for having an iPhone. After spending days checking out their phones and their latest roms - Android still isn't there. The screen's sensitivity is not up to par with the iPhone - it cannot keep up with my typing speed. The battery life is about half as good as a 4s with Verizon. Sure, the screen is over saturated and bright and big... but it looks too much like a cartoon on TV to me. And, even with a rooted rom, overclocked, the OS still lags! Another big thing is the plastic feel. After using a glass iPhone 4s for a year going to a plastic creaky phone is a huge no go for me.

So I got an iPhone 5 when my 4s broke over black Friday. Not looking back for the SIII anyway. S4? S5? S6? I think the gap between Android and iPhone is closing fast.

That's interesting, as I thought that the iPhone's screen accuracy for touch sucked when I switched from the SGS I to the iPhone 4S. The SGS I was always right on the mark, even with tiny links, the iPhone 4S took a lot more getting used to, although I'm almost as good with it now as I was with the SGS I.

You'll have an overall smoother user experience on iOS than you will on Android. That's what I think.

We'll see. I crash and lock up iOS enough that I'm not too worried about stability. I'm a lot more worried about form factor. The iPhone is just so perfect in form factor.

MACis122

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2010
Where's the setting? I don't remember there being a setting or preset for the screen's saturation last time I touched an Android... or any phone for that matter.

Samsung-Galaxy-Note-2-Screen-Mode_01.jpg

a little research will bring you here

Namtaro

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2011
a little research will bring you here

A little research shows that the US model doesn't have it? I live in Canada and the S3's I've tried didn't have such settings. Stupid that they'd leave it out...

Hope they didn't leave it out on the Note 2 as I'm on the fence about the Note 2 and the iPhone 5... Haven't held one in person yet so not sure if I'll like it. All I ever do with my phone now is text, call, take pictures, listen to music and use maps. Only thing I don't like about the iPhone 5 right now is the bending issue (I don't baby my phones and I'm not going to get a bulky rubber case) and no jailbreak... BiteSMS and IntelliscreenX are two things I think I can't live without.

MACis122

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2010
A little research shows that the US model doesn't have it? I live in Canada and the S3's I've tried didn't have such settings. Stupid that they'd leave it out...

Hope they didn't leave it out on the Note 2 as I'm on the fence about the Note 2 and the iPhone 5... Haven't held one in person yet so not sure if I'll like it. All I ever do with my phone now is text, call, take pictures, listen to music and use maps. Only thing I don't like about the iPhone 5 right now is the bending issue (I don't baby my phones and I'm not going to get a bulky rubber case) and no jailbreak... BiteSMS and IntelliscreenX are two things I think I can't live without.

I don't have an S3 I have the Note 2 so color saturation isn't a problem for me. Also there is chompSMS and Handcent which are pretty much just like biteSMS

Namtaro

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2011
I don't have an S3 I have the Note 2 so color saturation isn't a problem for me. Also there is chompSMS and Handcent which are pretty much just like biteSMS

Yeah, I've read that the Note 2's screen is far better than the S3's. Good to know since that's the phone I'm considering.

Took a look at chompSMS and it looks pretty much exactly like biteSMS! Everything's looking better and better for the Note 2 so far...

iKnowMr.Jobs

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2010
I liked a few features on the GSIII such as placing you phone face down to mute a call. That's cooler than tapping phones to share pictures. Nobody seems to know about that mute feature though. I could never get pasted that cheap plastic feel that phone has. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with using plastic, but for a high end smartphone...i can't get past that.

bigjim83

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2011
Cool story Bro. Hey I woke up today took a poop and man the next day I was right back taking a poop again.

Lame story? It's about on par with OP

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
Here's a quirk almost never discussed either: Once you committ to the iPhone you can rest easy knowing that you have the "latest and greatest" for 10-18 months without lusting over the "iPhone 5GS3+" launching a month after you bought the "5GS3".

If that's the "innovation" people keep talking about I'm perfectly happy leaving that to the fandroid crowd...
So lack of progress is a good thing simply because there will be nothing new to catch your eye? :confused: Strange logic there.

Those sound like some pretty generic complaints that you put together from reading what other people have said. That said, many of your complaints wouldn't even apply to the GS3. It isn't bulky at all, and actually is quite sleek. It doesn't lag from multitasking. I have had several apps running at once and had never once had to close anything. I've gone months without closing or rebooting anything, and have yet to have it lag because of it. Reading a website is easier on a smaller and lower resolution screen? Ok..... That's your personal opinion, but I must say I find it strange to say the least.

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
Hello,
I could not agree more about Samsung's choice of materials. As a Moderator on a Home Theater Forum, this feeling actually translates over to their TV's as well.

I really do like Motorola Droid RAZR's and if I were to go back to an Android device, that would be the most likely one. I am also kinda liking what HTC has been up to recently.
Cheers,
JJ

Very important, since you carry around a 55" TV in the palm of your hand all day. SMH

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.