Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NedBookPro

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2011
5th Generation iPad....

Currently I am thinking of mini iPad. But after seeing this thread I have to wait for 2-3 months if 5th Generation device will come. :D

Don't worry, the cycle will eventually be a new ipad every 3 days at $1000 a pop, and what's the bet people (read fanboys), will still all get excited. rolleyes:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Apple, without Steve Jobs, unable to innovate, now must turn to product turnover to keep sales up and thus maintain its stock price.

Problem with these time scales if they are true, is its going to drive down re-sale price of apple products even more every new product, suddenly everyone will be trying to sell "last months model" to get next months

The new glued-shut iMacs, ignoring the Mac Pros, overly eager release schedules, and a complete lack of actual "innovation", not good, if the windows PC makers get their act together being windows 8, apple could find itself as an expensive joke in a few years.

I can't believe people still spout this BS. The only thing Apple is missing without Steve is an über salesman that could make everything seem magical.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I said I was going to stop upgrading my iPads yearly, but if it carries the looks of the iPad mini then consider me sold! :D

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
I wish people on here would realise that you don't need to get every generation of ever Apple product. So you some of you have only just got the 3rd or 4th iPad or iPad mini, so what, you don't need to change that 6 months later just because a new one is out, yours still works just as well as the day you bought, it does everything it did on the day you got it. Stop grieving, update it when it's necessary and you can afford too, not the day Apple releases a new version.

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
Apple, without Steve Jobs, unable to innovate, now must turn to product turnover to keep sales up and thus maintain its stock price.

Problem with these time scales if they are true, is its going to drive down re-sale price of apple products even more every new product, suddenly everyone will be trying to sell "last months model" to get next months

The new glued-shut iMacs, ignoring the Mac Pros, overly eager release schedules, and a complete lack of actual "innovation", not good, if the windows PC makers get their act together being windows 8, apple could find itself as an expensive joke in a few years.
So because they have increased the product cycle timelines it means they are less innovative?

This sounds like sour grapes to me. Loads, most manufacturers are now gluing things together so you can't fixit/upgrade it, it's they way the world is going, this means the little computers stores on high streets go out of business because they can no longer fix stuff, it means you have to visit and Apple or Microsoft store instead. Apple are guilty of only the same thing everyone else is. How long do Dell take to bring out new PC's?, how long does a computer stay on the bench inside a store?, how often do Samsung bring out a new phone? The answers, all the time, not long, weekly maybe, every 6 months their leading handset is replaced, S3, then the note (larger version of the S3), and now the S3 mini, before long the S4 will be out.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
I have an iPad3 and I'm going for the Mini with Retina when it comes out.

For the size and form factor, it's just a superior portable device and you really don't lose much screen real estate between the two sizes...I was kinda shocked when comparing them side by side in Best Buy. Being able to just throw it in a jacket pocket or average size purse it pretty key. The 7'ish inch form factor is where it's at for a lot of people.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple increase the iPad screen size to 11" and make it the more "at home/at work" tablet (while possibly somehow making an OSX version of it down the road).

Mini is going to be best seller now over the iPad.

polee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Well I bought a previous Macbook Air release (2010 model) when the 2011 model came out. It was cheaper by a few hundred dollars. Up to today, I am still happy with it. I have bought a host a new apple products but have never felt the need to have the latest and the best of each product category.

apple-win

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2012
So because they have increased the product cycle timelines it means they are less innovative?

This sounds like sour grapes to me. Loads, most manufacturers are now gluing things together so you can't fixit/upgrade it, ......

In order to determine whether the super thin and light weight iPad is innovative or not, we need to find out how many new patents filed on this new product (by Apple and/or components vendors)

I hope Apple did not file patents on "thin" or/and "lightweight".

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
I sort of look at this like PCs in the late 1990s and early 2000s. HP, Compaq, Dell - all those brands, they had multiple models coming out every 3 months or so, with bumped specs like a faster CPU, more HDD space, and a CDRW drive or something. It was like every single day the new Compaq Presario had the latest and greatest in it.

Everything was just getting better and better each and every time until finally it reached plateau.

Expect the same in the tablet world in the upcoming years.

iLLUMI

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2012
Dear Santa,
please bring me the thinner, lighter, faster, sharper, longer lasting iPad 5 with IGZO screen! March delivery is fine! Heh hehhh!! :D

I'd like to upgrade to Retina from iPad 2. But it must have IGZO or something similar as I want a less power hungry device. Thinner doesn't worry me so much, power consumption does.

Anyway, Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to everyone!!!
May Santa bring you lots of nice iPresents! :p

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Actually, yes. Yes it does. Because when Apple udates the new iOS, which is reliant on the newer model specifs...the older models have to pull more processing speed to run the same operating system, which they are incapable of.

So yes...it DOES make our current iPads run slower. (Don't believe me, just ask any Gen 1 iPad owner, iPhone 3GS owner, or iPhone 4 owner trying to run iOS 5 and 6)

Software updates are a totally different game. Folks are acting like the iPhone 4 just up and stopped working because the 4s was announced and so on.

This is a huge damned if they do or they don't game. If they update every six months to keep up with advancing tech they are griped at for updating too much
If they stick to the one year they are griped at for having 'old' parts when something new is out.

----------

I'm a little confused by some of the terminology here and maybe it's just translation issues.

If the design of this new device is inspired by the Mini, then wouldn't this new "5th gen" iPad = Mini 2. I think they are giving the impression that this device will be an iPad 5.

Think a big iPad mini. That's what they are saying the design of the 5 will be

I don't need the latest and greatest, I bought the iPad mini and as it's my first iPad I do like it. But according to every review it has a major flaw; no retina display.

Not really a flaw but a design decision. Retina displays require about twice the battery of a non and the iPad mini had a battery that is only like 60% the size of the one in full sized iPad. Given that battery life is very important in a portable device, Apple picked keeping that over the 'better' display.

And ask yourself this, had you not read those reviews would you say that the Mini has a flawed display. Or would have been happy with it as it is even though the dpi is only like 70% of a retina display

----------

Nexus 10 has 300ppi.

Couple others by Huawei and Asus, other android manufacturer. One is already coming out with a 488 ppi display.

And how much battery life will be killed powering a device with a display that doesn't look any better to the common person than one with a 350ish dpi

makotoisle

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2012
I know they want to update their release cycle partially because people stop buying devices a few months before the expected release of new ones causing weak selling quarters and less stable revenues.

But I feel like coming out with a new one every five months is just going to get people to keep putting off their purchases for the new one around the corner.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Made by Samsung, Made by Huawei, Made by Asus.

No thanks.

Are we talking about overall product quality now?

I said some tablets have better displays than the iPad, you were like prove it.

I listed a few which are notable good and now your just dismissing your previous post.

Also Apple products are designed by Apple, use mostly parts made from Samsung, and is assembled in China.

LOL

yakapo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
For every person who bought the ipad 4, there's 5 more who have the ipad 2 or who don't have an ipad at all. Apple will sell the ipad 5 to them - if that bothers you, too bad.

Apple is in the continual pursuit of excellence. I don't care if they release a new one every 6 months. I won't buy them all but I'll pick and choose my upgrades when there's a noticeable change or improvement. Case in point - I bought the 2011 Sandy Bridge macbook air. Then they released the ivy bridge the next year. I didn't go out and sell my macbook and buy the newest version. However when intel releases new cpu's that can compete with discrete graphics, I'll probably upgrade. Maybe I'll get haswell, maybe the one after that - who knows. It's still the best laptop I've ever owned. When I bought it, ultrabooks didn't exist. The closest thing in the pc market was much more expensive. It was worth what I paid and I don't regret my purchase one bit.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
With more & more sources reporting iPad 5 in March it seems this may indeed happen. What's particularly disturbing is the precedent it sets, if only for Apple. If lighter as reported lots of iPad 3 & 4 owners excluding myself will be pissed. Whether you want one or not it's adverse to resale values.

Also it's likely Apple will drop support for past models earlier than is already the case. It's a trend that is not in Apples best interest. Yet they know exactly how much they can take advantage of us & suffer no consequences. At least in the short term.

Here's the link.

Rumored iPad 5 to be thinner -- and land in March

http://www.latimes.com/business/tec...er-and-land-in-march-20121224,0,2607697.story

apple-win

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2012

Knocking other companies is fine when they make crappy stuff. But you're just adding to this abrasive Apple cult mentality that rubs everyone the wrong way.

Well said. Apple cult is very mean :apple:.

Last edited by a moderator:

louis.b

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
Sydney
LOL, your iOS products have most of the hardware made by Samsung as well. Your iOS products are only ASSEMBLED BY APPLE'S CONTRACTED MANUFACTURER:D:apple:

Stop buying Apple iOS products then:p

Just because some companies make some good parts, does not mean that their attempt at a finished product is commendable.

rtr1985

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
With more & more sources reporting iPad 5 in March it seems this may indeed happen. What's particularly disturbing is the precedent it sets, if only for Apple. If lighter as reported lots of iPad 3 & 4 owners excluding myself will be pissed. Whether you want one or not it's adverse to resale values.

Also it's likely Apple will drop support for past models earlier than is already the case. It's a trend that is not in Apples best interest. Yet they know exactly how much they can take advantage of us & suffer no consequences. At least in the short term.

Here's the link.

Rumored iPad 5 to be thinner -- and land in March

http://www.latimes.com/business/tec...er-and-land-in-march-20121224,0,2607697.story

This is the same source just re-posted on LA Times.

HarryKNN21

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
Hong Kong
Just because some companies make some good parts, does not mean that their attempt at a finished product is commendable.
I didn't mean Samsung's products are all commendable, buy we all have to accept the fact that Apple products contain lots of Samsung hardware.

Hating Samsung doesn't always make Apple looks cool.;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.