Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
You did bend it if it wasn't like that when you bought it. The fact that MILLIONS of people aren't on the webs complaining about their phones bending it's 100% user caused (in the case it was fine OOB and then was magically bent) much like yours. I use my phone no different than I did any other phone and it's still pristine..... so is my wifes, moms, dads, multiple co-workers, ect ect. If it's bent now and wasn't before, YOU did it, no reason for apple to fix your f-up. My car has a dent.... I accidentally hit it with a ball while playing with my kids..... so is it Audi's fault or mine?

I have a hard time believing, unless the box is totaled, that any one gets it OOB bent.

What a narrow point of view to take. Yours is not bent, your relatives are not bent, therefore no phones can be bent. :rolleyes: If you can't imagine that in making 15 million thin aluminum bodies that some might be produced with damage from the factory coupled with the poor QC that has been going on then your perception is dimmer than I had interpreted.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
What a narrow point of view to take. Yours is not bent, your relatives are not bent, therefore no phones can be bent. :rolleyes: If you can't imagine that in making 15 million thin aluminum bodies that some might be produced with damage from the factory coupled with the poor QC that has been going on then your perception is dimmer than I had interpreted.

He's not saying at all that the phones can't be bent, and we've all seen the photo's from the apple store itself of a replacement phone coming out bent. What he's saying is that if it wasn't bent before and now it is, it's the users fault. Not apple's fault.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now

First off I didn't say the phones don't bend. I said IF the phone wasn't bent out of the box then ther person obviously did something to bend it. Vastoholic said there was a picture of one coming OOB bent.... I have not seen the picture and don't know the context but I'll say sure, that one was bent OOB.

Second, it's a logical point of view. IF people with bent phones checked them OOB and they were not bent..... then they were bent, they did it regardless of HOW they did it. That's just a pure factual statement. IF they didn't bend it and it wasn't bent OOB how did the bend happen? I know one guy said his happened as it sat next to him... yeah, sure. (BUT without video of the unboxing how do we know it was brand new OOB? Call Jessie Ventura to get to the bottom of it!)

As far as being bent OOB without a damaged box, sure it can happen. BUT do you honestly think all those people are members here on MR? How many "My phone was bent OOB" threads have we seen? How many "my phone was bent brand new OOB" threads are here? How many MR members are here? How many iPhones were produced? See what I'm getting at..... It would be tens of thousands of brand new OOB bent phones.... It's just not happening. Now could a few get by, sure of course. But with the numbers being posted here on MR, if it were a reality, there would be an explosion of stories on the net. There is no such explosion so yeah, I find it hard to believe that people are getting brand new, bent, out of the box i5's.

I think the numbers speak for themselves. I don't use my phone any different than I did before and it's not bent. IF you use the phone in an abusive manner then it will bend. Makes logical sense to me.

Last edited:

TurdFerguson

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2009
O'side!
I keep my phone in my back pocket and I sit on it all the time, on all kinds of surfaces. I've done this with every iPhone since the 3G. None of my phones have ever been physically damaged from sitting on them, none bent, no shattered glass. I really doubt the OP could have caused this by sitting on it.

I think the numbers speak for themselves. I don't use my phone any different than I did before and it's not bent. IF you use the phone in an abusive manner then it will bend. Makes logical sense to me.

You didn't actually include any actual numbers in your post.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I keep my phone in my back pocket and I sit on it all the time, on all kinds of surfaces. I've done this with every iPhone since the 3G. None of my phones have ever been physically damaged from sitting on them, none bent, no shattered glass. I really doubt the OP could have caused this by sitting on it.

Just do a search for bent iPhone on here. You pull up about 6 or 7 different threads on the matter (not all are actual cases, some just discussion) and each has a handful (not sure of repeat posts within each) of different stories about bent iPhone 5's. I found about 14 different posts on these forums that provided picture evidence of the bend with maybe 5-10 more random posts from new/old members saying theirs is bent as well.

So just an educated guess on my part is that there have been 30 cases reported on these forums of bent iPhones from various stated reasons including user damage, out of box bent, unknown, and spontaneous bending in the hand.

By the way AFDoc, this is the picture I was mentioning about being bent out of the box.
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/16517709/

Last edited:

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012

Ok let me clarify.... the LACK of numbers, better?

Thanks for the pics.... Now there is no real proof that he had just unboxed it but I'll take the guys word for it. So if it is the real deal we have proof of 1 being that way OOB out of how many produced?

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Ok let me clarify.... the LACK of numbers, better?

Thanks for the pics.... Now there is no real proof that he had just unboxed it but I'll take the guys word for it. So if it is the real deal we have proof of 1 being that way OOB out of how many produced?

Exactly. Yeah I know there's no proof, but that one actually seemed plausible given that he was in the store already and it was on the verge of being unnoticeable to the naked eye. So I took his word for it.

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
Wot?!?!?!?!

+1. OP sat on it.

Do you remember a guy exploded a Samesung S3? He cooked the brand new phone in a microwave oven. Retail is very hard. :p

How on earth would anyone decide to cook a brand new S3 in an oven? Was he absolutely out of his mind? Good grief!

Back to the iPhone - we need a poll:

-Do you wear skinny jeans or baggy?
-Do typically you put your iPhone5 in your:
Front left pocket?
Front right pocket?
Back left pocket?
Back right pocket?
-Do you typically place 10 ton titanium billets on top of your iphone?

Last edited:

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
First off I didn't say the phones don't bend. I said IF the phone wasn't bent out of the box then ther person obviously did something to bend it. Vastoholic said there was a picture of one coming OOB bent.... I have not seen the picture and don't know the context but I'll say sure, that one was bent OOB.

Second, it's a logical point of view. IF people with bent phones checked them OOB and they were not bent..... then they were bent, they did it regardless of HOW they did it. That's just a pure factual statement. IF they didn't bend it and it wasn't bent OOB how did the bend happen? I know one guy said his happened as it sat next to him... yeah, sure. (BUT without video of the unboxing how do we know it was brand new OOB? Call Jessie Ventura to get to the bottom of it!)

As far as being bent OOB without a damaged box, sure it can happen. BUT do you honestly think all those people are members here on MR? How many "My phone was bent OOB" threads have we seen? How many "my phone was bent brand new OOB" threads are here? How many MR members are here? How many iPhones were produced? See what I'm getting at..... It would be tens of thousands of brand new OOB bent phones.... It's just not happening. Now could a few get by, sure of course. But with the numbers being posted here on MR, if it were a reality, there would be an explosion of stories on the net. There is no such explosion so yeah, I find it hard to believe that people are getting brand new, bent, out of the box i5's.

First not everyone with an issue posts threads on this board. There could have been 21,912 returned phones that were bent OOTB yet only 2 are members or decided to join to share the info. I am not saying that number is accurate in anyway, just making a point that this board does represent-either way-the true story of the issue. There also could be a larger number of people who did not notice a slight bend OOTB than we are aware of. Most on these boards suffer varying degrees of OCD, and again, are unlike the average Joe, or house wive who buys an iPhone. I believe though, from deduction, and working with similar metals, that 70-80% are bent inadvertently by the user. Not abused, not jumped on, not a 300 pound man in boys medium skinny jeans doing a suplex of the top rope while the phone is in his back pocket. The design of this phone lends itself to be more easily bent that probably any other cell phone to date. I think 15% are just abused and the last 5% are OOTB with some bend noticed immediately or later, or never.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
First not everyone with an issue posts threads on this board. There could have been 21,912 returned phones that were bent OOTB yet only 2 are members or decided to join to share the info. I am not saying that number is accurate in anyway, just making a point that this board does represent-either way-the true story of the issue. There also could be a larger number of people who did not notice a slight bend OOTB than we are aware of. Most on these boards suffer varying degrees of OCD, and again, are unlike the average Joe, or house wive who buys an iPhone. I believe though, from deduction, and working with similar metals, that 70-80% are bent inadvertently by the user. Not abused, not jumped on, not a 300 pound man in boys medium skinny jeans doing a suplex of the top rope while the phone is in his back pocket. The design of this phone lends itself to be more easily bent that probably any other cell phone to date. I think 15% are just abused and the last 5% are OOTB with some bend noticed immediately or later, or never.

How very scientific. I believe 99.343% were bent by Pro Wrestlers suplexing the phone from the top rope... I base that on, well, um, because I say so???

Some have damage OTB. I agree and accept that. It is NOT a "problem" it is called "mass manufacturing". I get that everyone wants to think that because they spent money on something that it has to be flawless, but that just isn't reality.

And let's say there were 1000 confirmed, videotaped, verified cases of phones coming out of the box bent. Out of what, millions???

Even on the "multiple" threads across "multiple" fanboy sites we have literally a handful of OTB bent phones (and even THOSE could still be hoaxes). Even if we give them 100% credibility, there is STILL no reason to believe the "problem" is anything but an anomoly from production.

You can't just ignore the millions of users becuase they aren't OCD enough or because they don't run to a fanboard if they think there's a "scuff" on their phone. Those people represent the "normals" and they also are generally perfectly happy with their iP5's, despite the horrible injustices of "scuffgate", "mapgate", and the bigfoot-like "bend-gate".

On an unrelated note: don't sit on your phone...

On an even more unrelated note: things break if you break them.

I know it seems like common sense... but here we are...

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Are people really mad that if you sit on your phone it will bend? Everything has compromises. The iPhone 4 design was prone to shattering and was heavy due to the stainless steel. The iPhone 5 design is less prone to shattering and lighter due to aluminum, but prone to bending with alot of pressure. If your iPhone 5 is bent then YOU did something to it. I'm sorry I don't believe in these spontanious bend stories for one second.

BlindMellon

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2011
looks like someone put it in a back pocket and sat on it.
if you've done that for the last 2 years with the iphone 4 in complete confidence, you might be inclined to think the iphone 5 could handle that same stress?

Munkypoo7

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2011
Hanover, MD
if you've done that for the last 2 years with the iphone 4 in complete confidence, you might be inclined to think the iphone 5 could handle that same stress?

You would be inclined to think so... I'll grant you that point.

However, that simply (imo) is not how to treat your phone. Granted, I'm not saying stick it in an Otterbox and leave it on a pedestal either but... idk, sitting on a phone or anything I depend on electronically just seems like a bad idea.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
Are people really mad that if you sit on your phone it will bend? Everything has compromises. The iPhone 4 design was prone to shattering and was heavy due to the stainless steel. The iPhone 5 design is less prone to shattering and lighter due to aluminum, but prone to bending with alot of pressure. If your iPhone 5 is bent then YOU did something to it. I'm sorry I don't believe in these spontanious bend stories for one second.

You sound ignorant then...

Namtaro

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2011
I don't know anyone who has a bent iPhone 5, but I also know that they never checked out of the box if it was bent or not either. I'm sure the majority of bent iPhone 5's were bent by the user, they just never realized when or how they did it.

This is more a design flaw than the user's fault IMO. Phones just shouldn't bend that easily with day-to-day usage. Using 6061 Aluminum wasn't the best idea considering the weak point of the volume button. Liquid Metal might've been too expensive, but I'm sure a better alloy like 7075 Aluminum would't have set the manufacturing costs too high.

I toss around my iPhone 4 like a toy and nothing's ever happened to it - I toss it on my bed, toss it on my desk it slips out of my pocket and I sit on it in the car sometimes etc. I have screen protectors on both sides and replace the front like every 2 weeks cause of the scratches (50 cheap protectors for 5 bucks so worth it!) and a Vapor Pro case which might add some rigidity... When I remove the case and screen protectors, it looks like new. With these horror stories of the iPhone 5 and how I treat my phone, I'm seriously considering a Note 2 instead. All I ever do with my phone now is text, call and play music anyways since I have my iPad Mini with me all the time.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
You sound ignorant then...

LoL he sounds ignorant because he doesn't believe in the magic spontaneous bending iPhone stories? Wow.

@Namtaro.... it's not getting bent with every day use. IF it were, then there would be MILLIONS of iPhone users with bent phones. It's getting bent with extrodinary day to day use. I use my phone no different than I ever did and it's pristine. As I've said in other posts so is my wifes, parent's, many friends ect ect. Now, I don't feel I use my phone in a gental way but I don't shove it in a back pants pocket and use it as a seat cushion. I don't keep it in a front pocket when I carry heavy items up and down stairs or what ever these people are doing to bend their phones. I have NEVER done that with ANY phone.... I don't see why people would even think about sitting on their phone or having it in a pocket while helping a buddy move or what every. It's an electronic device, would people put their iPad on a chair and sit on it? Their laptop, plasma, LCD computer screen, sound dock, what ever? Of course not so why do it to a phone? "Stupid is as stupid does", Forrest Gump.

Last edited:

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
The genius in the store seriously belittled me telling me that my phone would have never passed apples "inspection" process and that I physically bent this myself. I can guarantee you that as soon as I take care of the situation Apple will hear about the customer service team at this specific location.

Not surprising that one of those little fascists would say something like that. I'd give that little brat hell on earth, and he would deserve it.

----------

I don't know anyone who has a bent iPhone 5, but I also know that they never checked out of the box if it was bent or not either. I'm sure the majority of bent iPhone 5's were bent by the user, they just never realized when or how they did it.

This is more a design flaw than the user's fault IMO. Phones just shouldn't bend that easily with day-to-day usage. Using 6061 Aluminum wasn't the best idea considering the weak point of the volume button. Liquid Metal might've been too expensive, but I'm sure a better alloy like 7075 Aluminum would't have set the manufacturing costs too high.

I toss around my iPhone 4 like a toy and nothing's ever happened to it - I toss it on my bed, toss it on my desk it slips out of my pocket and I sit on it in the car sometimes etc. I have screen protectors on both sides and replace the front like every 2 weeks cause of the scratches (50 cheap protectors for 5 bucks so worth it!) and a Vapor Pro case which might add some rigidity... When I remove the case and screen protectors, it looks like new. With these horror stories of the iPhone 5 and how I treat my phone, I'm seriously considering a Note 2 instead. All I ever do with my phone now is text, call and play music anyways since I have my iPad Mini with me all the time.

Considering the amount of aluminum used in a phone, I really doubt the difference in manufacturing costs is substantial. Probably on the order of a few pennies per phone.

The Note 2 screen makes the S3 screen look miniscule. It's not really a phone to carry in your pocket. Perhaps a velcro + lycra slingcase designed like a reverse wonder bra sitting in the curve of your back would be a convenient place to holster it.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
LoL he sounds ignorant because he doesn't believe in the magic spontaneous bending iPhone stories? Wow.

@Namtaro.... it's not getting bent with every day use. IF it were, then there would be MILLIONS of iPhone users with bent phones. It's getting bent with extrodinary day to day use. I use my phone no different than I ever did and it's pristine. As I've said in other posts so is my wifes, parent's, many friends ect ect. Now, I don't feel I use my phone in a gental way but I don't shove it in a back pants pocket and use it as a seat cushion. I don't keep it in a front pocket when I carry heavy items up and down stairs or what ever these people are doing to bend their phones. I have NEVER done that with ANY phone.... I don't see why people would even think about sitting on their phone or having it in a pocket while helping a buddy move or what every. It's an electronic device, would people put their iPad on a chair and sit on it? Their laptop, plasma, LCD computer screen, sound dock, what ever? Of course not so why do it to a phone? "Stupid is as stupid does", Forrest Gump.

Apples QC has gone down since Jobs died. I believe there are poorly built products out there. Especially considering Foxconn complaining about lack of training.

l0gikb0mb

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2012
The Note 2 screen makes the S3 screen look miniscule. It's not really a phone to carry in your pocket. Perhaps a velcro + lycra slingcase designed like a reverse wonder bra sitting in the curve of your back would be a convenient place to holster it.

Fits in all my pockets and jacket pockets just fine.

Get some non-skinny jeans, bro.

tracedog

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2012
My iPhone 5 Bent By Itself Too!!!

I can't believe this actually happened. I know people on here are saying its not true, but its kinda one of those things, you have to see it to believe it. After being on the phone with Amex I set the phone down, walked away, then came back 10 mins later and picked up my phone. I'm thinking to myself, is this my phone? and then looked at it closely and it was bent!!! I couldn't believe my eyes. The glass was separated from the body at the top and the iphone was bent near the middle. I immediately booked an appt with my local Apple store. When I arrived and explained what happened the store associate didn't believe me. He said he worked there for 5 years and has never seen anything like it. I said the iPhone 5 hasn't been out 5 years and it's made differently than all the other iPhones. He still thought I was yanking his chain. So I proceeded to take the deal with the associate and do a replacement for almost $250.

I am on the phone with Apple Support as I'm writing this so we shall see what they come back with. I'm pleading my case but again they are saying that since I didn't purchase Apple Care there is nothing they can do, and so I pleaded my case again and now the support person said they will talk to their senior advisor. I'll post back with results.....

Last edited:

eyecon82

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2012
I had another thought - could it be the battery is expanding when it heats up?

doubt it

the conclusion pretty much is that it is just too thin near the volume rocker and it bends with sustained pressure

----------

wow, you really are trying to convince yourself that everything is perfect....i feel sorry for you

tracedog

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2012
Pics of My Bent iPhone 5

Here are the pics of my bent iPhone 5

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.