Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wayneholbrook

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2010
Miami Florida
Just curious, I'm thinking about trying the Nokia 920 out and was wondering if anyone has left the iPhone for a windows device and liked it or came back?

MuffCabbage

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012
Its generally well received if you dont rely on apps it doesnt have. Im possibly getting the 8X really soon and will update if I do. Theres been a few threads here where people have gotten them.

tensiondeadache

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Southern California
Just curious, I'm thinking about trying the Nokia 920 out and was wondering if anyone has left the iPhone for a windows device and liked it or came back?

Do it. Switched from the iPhone 5 to the AT&T 920, no regrets, it is an amazing phone.

----------

Its generally well received if you dont rely on apps it doesnt have. Im possibly getting the 8X really soon and will update if I do. Theres been a few threads here where people have gotten them.

Why get the 8X when you can have the 920? The 8X has no navigation built in, and all of the Nokia apps you get on the 920 are awesome.

MuffCabbage

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012
Do it. Switched from the iPhone 5 to the AT&T 920, no regrets, it is an amazing phone.

----------

Why get the 8X when you can have the 920? The 8X has no navigation built in, and all of the Nokia apps you get on the 920 are awesome.

Verizon. Yup. 8X or the 822.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland

----------

I guess it might be a better option if you don't mind it being a lot heavier and thicker.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
There are no interesting Windows Phone 8 phones at the moment, in terms of design, for me. Overall, there's just too few phones to chose from. If I see one with a great appealing design, I might look into it.

Vetvito

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
I went from android to Windows Phone, back to Android and now to iPhone.

You should read the wpcentral forums to see how bad it actually is. Notifications sucks big time on the platform. The live tiles are highly advertised but the ONLY live tiles are Phone/Messaging/email, everything else is polling.

IM is horrific, look at the terrible Skype app. Messages and notifications come in terribly late on other apps.

hailst0rm

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2008
I went from an iPhone 4S to a HTC 8x and now back to an iPhone 5.

My issues were:

- short battery life. Phone wouldn't make it through the day
- Battery would be depleted when plugged in the car using sat nav. A higher powered 2.1amp charger didn't fix it.
- Sat nav not as good compared to iPhone. Navigon vs Tomtom and Waze.
- No YNAB to do my budgeting on the move

I'm glad to be back on the iPhone. It wasn't a bad phone just didn't suit my needs.

BuryMeInSmoke

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2012
I lasted less than a week with the 920. Couldn't get used to the design (sharp corners, very heavy). Battery life was a bit underwhelming as well as the app support. I can certainly see the appeal of wp8 for some users, but it just wasn't for me.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I went from an iPhone 4S to a HTC 8x and now back to an iPhone 5.

My issues were:

- short battery life. Phone wouldn't make it through the day
- Battery would be depleted when plugged in the car using sat nav. A higher powered 2.1amp charger didn't fix it.
- Sat nav not as good compared to iPhone. Navigon vs Tomtom and Waze.
- No YNAB to do my budgeting on the move

I'm glad to be back on the iPhone. It wasn't a bad phone just didn't suit my needs.

I had terrible battery life the first few days but then I turned off the "attentive phone" features and set both my emails to 30 mins and I ended up having 39% left when I got home on one day.

hailst0rm

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2008
I'm sure there are ways around things. I'd rather not spend my time having to find a workaround.

For me it was little things as well:

-the home button on the iphone may suck when it starts to get stuck. I always questioned why they didn't use a touch screen button. Now I know why. It's quite easy to accidentally press touch screen buttons.
-No orientation lock. So irritating.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I'm sure there are ways around things. I'd rather not spend my time having to find a workaround.

For me it was little things as well:

-the home button on the iphone may suck when it starts to get stuck. I always questioned why they didn't use a touch screen button. Now I know why. It's quite easy to accidentally press touch screen buttons.
-No orientation lock. So irritating.

There are quite a few things that are annoying about WP8 including no system wide orientation lock. The way multitasking works is even more frustrating. If you don't like to spend time getting things to work perfectly then you'll probably like Android even less :p There's very little you can actually do on WP8 from my 2 weeks of experience.

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
I'm waiting to see what else comes out for Windows 8 phones. I still have an iPhone 4 and I wasn't impressed enough with iPhone 5 to upgrade. My iPhone 4 still works fine for now and I am not in any hurry to upgrade, but I imagine my next phone will be Windows 8.

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
Windows phone owners tend to be women. (that is true by the way(see bottom: http://aka-img-2.h-img.com/media/img/blog/droid-vs-ios.png)), just thought I'd share that.

I have a friend who loves his windows phone (never going back) but it's not somewhere I'd never go.

I have seen plenty of those type of surveys that show women tend to buy iPhones more than any other phone, especially tweeny-bopper girls. I do see more women with iPhones in the real world as well.

As for the Windows phone, I do like the 920. I just think Microsoft is still maturing in the OS department. Apple was pretty darn good with iOS right from the get go, but have lagged more and more as time has gone on. Android started off crappy, but has gotten better and better over time. Windows seems to be somewhere in between right now. Maybe another generation of OS updates? We'll see how BB10 is shortly.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Won't they equate to roughly the same thing though?

They're not even close.

windows-phone-71.jpg

windows-mobile-phone.jpg

aced411

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007

I switched to the 920 and then returned it for an 820. The 920 is an amazing phone with a sweet camera and stunning display but I just couldn't get past the size. That being said, I liked the Nokia/Windows combo so much I couldn't go back to the boring iPhone. I am mostly happy with my switch, but your experience may vary. One thing the iPhone rocks at is battery life. I have to carry my charger to work now. That's something I never had to do with iPhone.

Notification center isn't there yet, but the live tiles more than makeup for that. People who say the live tiles don't work are full of crap (admittedly some apps live tiles don't work well, I avoid those). My screen is full of fresh information like the weather, emails, news, calendar etc. I can't think of anything I miss app wise. All the apps I used (or something equivalent) are on WP8. If you do jump ship, I realize HTC has a hot design but Nokia really evens out the windows phone experience. They fill a lot of gaps with things like Nokia Drive, plus they give you the awesome Nokia Music for free. It's basically like Pandora except there are no advertisements.

I love the UI, it's very modern and fast....but if you look past all the sexiness and talk about core functionality and app selection, the iPhone is still on top. My best recommendation is to research all of the apps you need and then go the store and play with them. Don't rush into a switch.

wayneholbrook

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2010
Miami Florida
I switched to the 920 and then returned it for an 820. The 920 is an amazing phone with a sweet camera and stunning display but I just couldn't get past the size. That being said, I liked the Nokia/Windows combo so much I couldn't go back to the boring iPhone. I am mostly happy with my switch, but your experience may vary. One thing the iPhone rocks at is battery life. I have to carry my charger to work now. That's something I never had to do with iPhone.

Notification center isn't there yet, but the live tiles more than makeup for that. People who say the live tiles don't work are full of crap (admittedly some apps live tiles don't work well, I avoid those). My screen is full of fresh information like the weather, emails, news, calendar etc. I can't think of anything I miss app wise. All the apps I used (or something equivalent) are on WP8. If you do jump ship, I realize HTC has a hot design but Nokia really evens out the windows phone experience. They fill a lot of gaps with things like Nokia Drive, plus they give you the awesome Nokia Music for free. It's basically like Pandora except there are no advertisements.

I love the UI, it's very modern and fast....but if you look past all the sexiness and talk about core functionality and app selection, the iPhone is still on top. My best recommendation is to research all of the apps you need and then go the store and play with them. Don't rush into a switch.

Thank you for that informative response. I've been on the iPhone since the beginning. I wanted to give another platform a try and I tried the G3 and really don't like the Android UI.

That said, windows 8 looks good but I've never tried it yet. I really don't use a lot of apps maybe 3-4 if I'm lucky. So apps is a non player for me. I use my phone for calls, texts, email, web, and maps. The only negative I have heard about in ref to windows 8 is Skype compared to FaceTime. I do use FaceTime now and again.

aced411

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
Thank you for that informative response. I've been on the iPhone since the beginning. I wanted to give another platform a try and I tried the G3 and really don't like the Android UI.

That said, windows 8 looks good but I've never tried it yet. I really don't use a lot of apps maybe 3-4 if I'm lucky. So apps is a non player for me. I use my phone for calls, texts, email, web, and maps. The only negative I have heard about in ref to windows 8 is Skype compared to FaceTime. I do use FaceTime now and again.

I haven't tried video chat over skype yet. The app itself is fairly polished and seems to work well. I'll give it a shot and let you know

aced411

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
After trying video chat over skype I can assure you it is garbage compared to facetime. It works, but the video quality is crap..and that was over wifi for both parties. I could see that being a deal breaker for someone that likes to video chat (I personally can't stand video conferencing)

wayneholbrook

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2010
Miami Florida
After researching the windows 8 mobile OS I was looking to see if they had an option simular to what IOS has in the Do not disturb functionality or what Blackbery had with profiles.

Those of you not familiar with that its when for example you worked all night or your in a meeting and you want the phone to be silenced and not ring or text with some exceptions from certain callers.

So far I can not find anyone that can say that windows 8 has anything simular to that. I asked around on some windows forums and was told that doesn't exist. I'm a bit surprised, I would have thought Microsoft would have put that in there from the get go. Still a new platform so I assume it will come sooner or later.

Once you use it, you'll see how important that functionality really is. Blackberry had it down packed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.