Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VelvetElegance

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Folks,
I know I'm not loosing it. Admittedly, I don't use the facetime feature very often, but I know it's pretty straightforward. Shouldn't I be able to scroll to a contact and select the Facetime button? I have noticed a few things in be hour that I have been trying. Make a facetime call:
1. The iPhone 5 doesn't have a facetime app. Has it always been this way?
2. When I see thr facetime button on a contact, it is unresponsive.
3. When. Want to place a call using my iPad, it works as expected.

What am I missing? I am reading conflicting info as to whether the iPhone is supposed to have an actual app.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Folks,
I know I'm not loosing it. Admittedly, I don't use the facetime feature very often, but I know it's pretty straightforward. Shouldn't I be able to scroll to a contact and select the Facetime button? I have noticed a few things in be hour that I have been trying. Make a facetime call:
1. The iPhone 5 doesn't have a facetime app. Has it always been this way?
2. When I see thr facetime button on a contact, it is unresponsive.
3. When. Want to place a call using my iPad, it works as expected.

What am I missing? I am reading conflicting info as to whether the iPhone is supposed to have an actual app.

There's really no app for FaceTime. It's in the setting app and you scroll down to where it says "FaceTime". Then you click the on switch where it says FaceTime.

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
The iPhone 4, 4S, and 5 do not have a standalone FaceTime app. The functionality is built into the Phone app. The iPod touch and iPad models that support FaceTime have standalone apps because they don't have a Phone app.

The FaceTime button under a contact should either bring up a list of email addresses or phone numbers that could possibly be used with FaceTime, of which you need to tap one to begin a call, or it will begin a call if you only have a single phone number or email for the contact in question. Unless you are using iCloud, Exchange, Google Contacts, or a similar service to sync information between your iPhone and iPad, it is possible that the contacts on your phone may be lacking a phone number or email with which to try initiating a call. You should also, as the previous responders have indicated, check that FaceTime is activated.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
No there is no standalone FaceTime app. To make a FaceTime call just make sure it is enabled. If the other number you are trying to call is available for FaceTime the button will be able to be pressed to call.

nshah9

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2013
Hello,

I'm having the same problem for my iphone 5. There isn't even an actual facetime in my settings either, not just that the app is not on my home screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.