Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Angel95

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2012
I posted a ad looking for MacBook Pro under $1000 and got a reply from a guy saying he had a 15 inch MacBook Pro 2.3 ghz core i7 that he would sell to me for $900 said there was no damage at all. I've seen videos on people robbing people they met on Craigslist, so I'm a little nervous about it. Does this sound like some type of scam or does the price seem legit for the laptop? I'm not trying to meet up with him and end up robbed, even in a public place. What's your opinion? Thanks :)

ezramoore

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2006
Washington State
If you think you're getting a current gen 15" MBP for $900 you're kidding yourself.

It is likely stolen, or nonexistent. I wouldn't waste my time communicating with someone that was trying to sell a nearly new computer for almost 50% less than MSRP.

Look around those computers aren't going for that price.

If you go ahead with the transaction you are setting yourself up for (at the least) disappointment, and at the most physical harm or criminal activity.

Angel95

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2012
Thank you, I asked for pictures and he said he will have to send them tomorrow - I'm guessing he will be sending me pictures off of google. I'm not going to go through with it, to much of a risk :\

ezramoore

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2006
Washington State
One way of gauging an accurate price of an item for resale is to do an advanced search on eBay and select the checkbox for "Show only completed listings." You will see a green price when an item was sold, and a red price when the item was not sold.

Just an FYI, I use that method pretty frequently.

iJays

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2009
I thought you were looking for a MacBook Pro for under $1k?
Now someone reply to your ad and your question is if it is legit?

Are you legit? :confused:

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Yeah... Have the person include your email address handwritten on a piece of paper with the computer if you want to be sure.

Then make the meeting in a populated public place (inside a coffee shop for example,) where he can't just openly rob you. Don't do it in a parking lot, and *DEFINITELY* don't do it offline. No money orders mailed, no Western Union, etc.

When there in person, ask if you can call Apple real quick to have them check the serial number. If he gets up and walks out, yeah, it was stolen.

But no, you're not going to get a recent 15" MacBook Pro for under $1000. Period.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
Call him up - ask him why is he selling - ask where you can meet - feel him out on the phone. I have sold over a dozen MBP's on CL - zero problems.

Bob Coxner

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
Yeah... Have the person include your email address handwritten on a piece of paper with the computer if you want to be sure.

Then make the meeting in a populated public place (inside a coffee shop for example,) where he can't just openly rob you. Don't do it in a parking lot, and *DEFINITELY* don't do it offline. No money orders mailed, no Western Union, etc.

When there in person, ask if you can call Apple real quick to have them check the serial number. If he gets up and walks out, yeah, it was stolen.

But no, you're not going to get a recent 15" MacBook Pro for under $1000. Period.

I would add that you don't describe the car you will be driving or what you will be wearing. There have been a number of robberies in parking lots as the seller/buyer was walking towards the agreed-upon inside location. Here is just one. This one happened at a busy McDonalds. http://www.cbs8.com/story/20371746/couple-shot-during-craigslist-robbery-in-mission-valley

My personal choice would be a bank lobby. Armed guards and security cameras should discourage even stupid robbers. And, you can immediately check the cash to see if it's counterfeit or not. The lobby of a police station would be even better.

ZacT94

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2012
If you think you're getting a current gen 15" MBP for $900 you're kidding yourself.

It is likely stolen, or nonexistent. I wouldn't waste my time communicating with someone that was trying to sell a nearly new computer for almost 50% less than MSRP.

Look around those computers aren't going for that price.

If you go ahead with the transaction you are setting yourself up for (at the least) disappointment, and at the most physical harm or criminal activity.

2.3GHz could also mean early 2011 model. Apple did have them as a higher spec option and still sell them as refurbs.

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
2.3GHz could also mean early 2011 model. Apple did have them as a higher spec option and still sell them as refurbs.

Yup, I've got one I bought as a refurb in the summer of 2011. But $900 still seems too low, even for an Early 2011 model, to me.

PinoyAko

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2012
I would add that you don't describe the car you will be driving or what you will be wearing. There have been a number of robberies in parking lots as the seller/buyer was walking towards the agreed-upon inside location. Here is just one. This one happened at a busy McDonalds. http://www.cbs8.com/story/20371746/couple-shot-during-craigslist-robbery-in-mission-valley

My personal choice would be a bank lobby. Armed guards and security cameras should discourage even stupid robbers. And, you can immediately check the cash to see if it's counterfeit or not. The lobby of a police station would be even better.

I made a transaction before on a police station parking lot. The seller gladly obliged. I bought an iPad during that time.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
I made a transaction before on a police station parking lot. The seller gladly obliged. I bought an iPad during that time.

If you're a seller that knows the item is legit and not stolen it's a reasonable request. It's the ones that won't that you have to be concerned with.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
I bought my MBP off Craigslist and did the transaction at the police station. The kid's step-dad was a policeman. We all felt safe in the transaction.

jrasero

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
NYC
I have had only 100% positive experiences on CL BUT we live in a crazy world and there are a lot of scams on there

It does seems to good to be true. What year is the MBP? I would ask for extra pictures and ask why he is selling?

Every Mac computer I sold was on CL

So if you buy from me at least you will not get ripped.

Ardzii

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2012
Why not using Paypal for the transaction ? It'll cost you a little more for the commission and like $50 more for UPS but worth the cost to secure the transaction...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.