Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacTrips

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Will we ever see an SD card slot be implemented into the iPad or Mini ??

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
If Apple hasn't added the ability to add SD cards to their devices iOS devices by now, then I think it's safe to say that it's something they've intentionally (perhaps strategically) avoided doing.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
If Apple hasn't added the ability to add SD cards to their devices iOS devices by now, then I think it's safe to say that it's something they've intentionally (perhaps strategically) avoided doing.
The OS already reads SD cards so it would be trivial to add a slot, as opposed to it being non-trivial to add SD Card access to iOS.

They sell an sd card reader adaptor.

Apple sold a separate iSight camera before they added it to their Macs, and MacBook Pros didn't always had a slot.

I think it's safe to say it will be integrated at some point.

stevelam

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2010
The OS already reads SD cards so it would be trivial to add a slot, as opposed to it being non-trivial to add SD Card access to iOS.

Apple sold a separate iSight camera before they added it to their Macs, and MacBook Pros didn't always had a slot.

I think it's safe to say it will be integrated at some point.

Um no they won't. You can't even use iOS devices as USB drives without 3rd party apps and usually that's just via local wifi network or through iTunes. Why would apple all of a sudden allow you storage access via an sd card?

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
They won't make money off of it. They charge $100 for storage that cost them $3. What if everyone can just buy a 16gb and just add a 128gb sd card or something? Less profit for apple.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Um no they won't. You can't even use iOS devices as USB drives without 3rd party apps and usually that's just via local wifi network or through iTunes. Why would apple all of a sudden allow you storage access via an sd card?

No one asked that.

The OP asked if we would ever see an SD slot in the iPad. There are several precedents of an external dongle being integrated into later hardware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.