Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I am not anybody's fan, however it would be of some interest and amusement to know what qualifies YOU to doubt the design if this vessel?

Months on the open ocean in 50m yachts, sometimes in seas so rough that you couldn't walk - you had to crawl on your hands and knees.

Instead of so vacuously doubting my credentials, how about telling us why you're the expert in ship architecture?

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
They are designed for stability and plenty of space when cruising around coastal shores and moored up at lovely marinas. They have to have stronger hulls, different designs and a lot more equipment taking up room if they want to be safe to cross oceans.

With those large, low windows and that shallow keel it'd get destroyed if the weather happened to get a bit rough in the middle of the ocean.

Konrad

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2009
Bi-continental
Months on the open ocean in 50m yachts, sometimes in seas so rough that you couldn't walk - you had to crawl on your hands and knees.

Instead of so vacuously doubting my credentials, how about telling us why you're the expert in ship architecture?

I worked 17 years as an engineering for Fincantieri. It never occurred to us to crawl on our hands or knees.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
That is one ugly boat.

I also didn't like the 'curb appeal' of it initially, but it's starting to grow on me; I now think it's actually quite beautiful. But taste is of course very subjective, WE don't have to like it. On a side note, it must be an unhappy reminder for Laurene and the children.
Wonder if she'll sell it; this yacht is going to be a lot of sad memories for them.

Woz would agree that, without SJ, Woz would have been making computers for the last 35 years and giving them away or selling them for cost to a small number of people per year.

I agree with that wholeheartedly. One could argue that it took both of them equally, at least initially, to get the ball rolling, but it was Jobs' vision, charisma, unwavering attention to detail, razor sharp focus and his ability to inspire others to greatness, that made the MAGIC happen.

Rich74

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2012
How long till they sue Samsung because someone from Samsung once travelled on a boat that had the same screw in the rudder?

NOV

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2004
The Netherlands
Had they known this in advance the Jobs family probably would have cut budgets on the personnel who received the free iPod Shuffles...

But seriously ... can we please be spared from this kind of 'news' on this site. I see not the slightest resemblence with the 'Apple' products..

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
Don't care about other peoples yachts being impounded and released, if Macrumors wanted to use their space wisely they should already talking about what was the best and worst of this year.

acidraindrop

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2010
Wow who the **** cares merry cristmas to his family but really who the **** cares this type of news shouldn't be on here. Really?????

Mitbox

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2012
And in other news, Samsung today released their own yacht they had been working on in secret.

Attachments

• samsungs_yacht_beesnest.jpg
    samsungs_yacht_beesnest.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 99

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
At the alternatives section.
And in other news, Samsung today released their own yacht they had been working on in secret.

Yep i saw this news earlier today too.

Except this vessel is significantly different and unique:

-Its doors make a ripple sound as they open.
-You can turn on the engines from a dashboard in the toilet
-And the windows are made from plastic; not glass.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
For the price being paid for the Yacht, it could well be an FTL craft. :D

There was a young woman named Bright
Whose speed was much faster than light.
She set out one day
In a relative way,
And returned on the previous night.
—Geri Taran

I once wrote a limerick to see
How easy it really might be
I found I was right
There's no simpler plight
The exception is watching TV.

Parky

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006
I will say it again, why is this on the front page.

I will say it again, if you are not interested in an article - don't read it.

For someone who has access to a free service, providing news stories why the moaning?

Not all news stories will be interesting to you, nor will you think they need to be on the front page, and I sometimes feel the same, not everything interests me.

The difference between you and me is that I realise there are other people in the world who might be interested, and that the world dose not revolve around me.

Fine have your opinion about the story, there is just no need to tell everyone, we are not interested.

Merry Christmas!

----------

Am I the only person who doesn't give a **** about the yacht?

I think many people feel the same about these pointless comments.

If you care so little about it, why post a comment about it.
It makes no sense!

----------

Transported by ship?

I thought it was a ship - can't it make it across the Atlantic on its own?

Anyway, why do these TMZ-calibre articles keep getting posted here?

They get posted because the owner / editor wants to, when you are the owner / editor you can decide.

Your choice is to read or not to read. Why comment if it is so unimportant to you. Does every story posted have to be something you MUST read and be interested in? Are you paying for this service?

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
this makes no sense. another ship has to tow this giant yacht? might as well get the navy involved.

It does not have the sea keeping abilities, nor most likely the range to cross the Atlantic.

----------

And the bow and superstructure don't look like a good design for a "!following-sea" (is "leading sea" used?). And one of the hazards of a following sea is that a wave hitting the boat from the rear will raise the stern and lower the bow, so that the bow will submarine under the water in front. Not good with a glass superstructure with vertical walls and front-facing doors.

But some of the SJ fans won't hear of any criticism of the seaworthiness of this boat.

Indeed, I would not want to be in Heavy sea's in this thing.

However, it wasn't built to cross oceans, nor was it built to really go anywhere, its just a place for people to go up and down the CA coast and get wasted. I highly doubt it will ever sea trans ocean crossings or heavy sea's.

----------

You did crossing's on a 50M yacht? Scary.

I spent 4 months as a civilian contractor on a US Navy DDG ( Arleigh Burke ), out in the North Atlantic, and thats a 9100 Ton, 500ish foot long military grade vessel, and we got tossed around like a toy in 20 foot Sea's, I could only imagine what it would be like on a vessel that small.

And your correct, this vessel could not handle heavy sea's very well.

But I don't think it was built to handle heavy Sea's.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Another apple design that focuses on style over substance.

That's like complaining your iPod shuffle doesn't run OS X. Ships don't have to be able to cross oceans to be useful, as other posters have said, Jobs' yacht is just meant to sail along shallow seas near the coast. If you go to a nearby harbor, you'll see tons of ships and boats like that. And on the other hand, ocean-crossing boats would be overkill for a day cruise near the shore, and too big to manuever in smaller bays and harbours. Just as you take a iPod shuffle to go jogging and use an iMac to edit your videos, a luxury yacht and a cross-ocean ship are totally different things with different purposes.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
I am not anybody's fan, however it would be of some interest and amusement to know what qualifies YOU to doubt the design if this vessel?

It's not about doubting the design ffs.

It's not a design flaw, or an oversight, It's just not designed to cross the atlantic. This is a conscious decision from the client right from the start. They are made to cruise in costal waters in luxury, not travel across dangerous seas.

Most cruise ships aren't designed to cross major oceans safely and comfortably either. The few that are have to be designed very differently.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.