Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cogmate

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
Maryland
New to iPhoto.

I've created my 1st Library.

Now preparing to import additional photos, and create my 2nd Library.

Once the 2nd Library is created, how can I move photos (events, folders, albums) back & forth from one Library to another?

Thanks in advance.

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
iPhoto only supports accessing a single iPhoto Library at a time. You must quit and relaunch iPhoto holding the option key to switch from one library to another. There is no direct exporting to another library. Only exporting, switching to the other library and importing the exported event or album. Source

Cogmate

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
Maryland
iPhoto only supports accessing a single iPhoto Library at a time. You must quit and relaunch iPhoto holding the option key to switch from one library to another. There is no direct exporting to another library. Only exporting, switching to the other library and importing the exported event or album. Source

Accurate answer / thanks.

Cogmate

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
Maryland
Another Question ...

When you hold down the Option key, and click iPhoto - it opens the Library inventory box.

The Original and 1st Library is named: iPhoto Library

How can I change its name to something more personal - like: iPhoto Library - Motorcycles

Last edited:

dakwar

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2010
Another Question ...

When you hold down the Option key, and click iPhoto - it opens the Library inventory box.

The Original and 1st Library is named: iPhoto Library

How can I change its name to something more personal - like: iPhoto Library - Motorcycles

Go into /Users/{your user name}/Pictures. All your iPhoto libraries will be listed there (unless you changed their default location). You can rename them from there as you please.

Cogmate

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
Maryland
Go into /Users/{your user name}/Pictures. All your iPhoto libraries will be listed there (unless you changed their default location). You can rename them from there as you please.

Pictures > Library > Get Info
In the Get Info drop down box there was a place to change the name.

Thanks for guiding me there.

Cogmate

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
Maryland
Why do you want separate libraries? Why not import into the one library and then create Albums for different subjects?

I have created many Folders & Albums in my Library.
But because of the sheer size of the Library, it becomes unwieldy to navigate.

Additional Libraries make re-organizing other larger themes and collections much easier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.