Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
I didn't "go back" to 4S, I stayed at 4S. Other than the LTE (which isn't all too important to me), nothing about the iPhone 5 entices me -- I'm not one of those people who are on the Apple hamster wheel constantly feeling the need to upgrade my phone...

If I can make phone calls, text messages, access media, use applications, and browse the web at a reasonable speed, then I'm good.

Last edited:

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Not really worried about scuffs/scratches, I'll do what I can to keep them to a minimum (care, handling, light weight case...), but I'll use it like any other piece of consumer electronics.

For me:

4" > 3.5"
LTE > 3G[+]
A6 > A5
1280x720/960 > 640x480
Lightening > 30-pin

Not to mention the form factor, love the depth, it just disappears in your pocket, and even with a case, the starting point is so thin, it's still incredibly thin (and light) with a case.

:cool:

Yujenisis

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002
I love my iPhone 5, and can't imagine going back to the 4S's form factor or thicker/heavier build.

The iPhone 5 isn't perfect, but for my perspective, it is an improvement in every way over the 4S, but with every design there is a trade off.

MonkeyET

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2009
Indio, CA
I don't have a 5 but just went from AT&T iPhone 4 to a Verizon 4S. So many of the other brands of phones feel so cheap. Even holding the 5 I feel it is quite a bit lighter than mine, but I don't think it feels cheap. I can't beat trading in my 2 year old iPhone 4 and netting a new 4S and a $50 gift card since Best Buy has them for only $50 right now. I heard Wal-Mart has a similar deal but they don't offer in-store trade-in to my knowledge.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
I have an iPhone 5 and came from an iPhone 4S. I wish the 5 had the exact same form factor as the 4/4S had. I loved the glass back, and if you weren't a dumbass and knew how to hold your phone you wouldn't have any problem with it breaking.

The 4S felt so incredibly well in your hand, and very solid. The five feels no where as nice as the 4S felt. Seems like a product built by another company that copied Apple.

But if we want the latest and greatest we're stuck with the 5. See this is why Apple should have put HSPA+ 21 in the 4S. I would have kept it then.

If I knew they were going to make the screen 0.5" larger I would have told them to just keep it at 3.5" or go at least 4.3".

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
Not to mention the form factor, love the depth, it just disappears in your pocket, and even with a case, the starting point is so thin, it's still incredibly thin (and light) with a case.

:cool:

Coming from the iPhone 4, I can't imagine going back even if the size difference were the only change. It's so light and thin I frequently have to check to make sure I have my phone in my pocket...seriously this happens everyday. Add to that all of the other improvements and I'm extremely happy with the 5.

Insulin Junkie

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2008
Mainland Europe
No, have both, not going back to the 4s (as good as it is, but the iPhone 5 is definitely better on pretty much every level). I love the weight reduction, really makes a difference when I'm using it in bed.

Also I'd rather have scuffs than risk the screen or the back shattering when I drop my phone like it was on the 4 / 4s models.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
I'm content with the 4S right now. Thankfully, I'm one of those people who have never found a reason to justify a non reasonable purchase... I can definitely live with my 4S right now -- I'm still in love with this thing. I usually upgrade every 2 years or so, and I usually invest in the second iteration of Apple phones (ie. 3GS, 4S, 5S). Apple simply hasn't added enough to the iPhone 5 for me to truly feel any need to upgrade. I think it's dangerous to fall into the trap of feeling the need to constantly upgrade -- if that's the case, then you'll never be truly satisfied with your phone.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
I think if you updated from the 4S to the 5 thinking it was something "new" then obviously you are just trying to keep up with the Joneses.

I was going to upgrade, then I seen the release of it and that killed the thought of upgrading. Same as 4S, longer screen, different design, and does the same thing that the 4S does. I'll keep my 4S.

Matador Red

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2012
Same as 4S, longer screen, different design, and does the same thing that the 4S does.

Yep, no reason to upgrade, it's exactly the same as the 4S. It makes phone calls and uses apps. No innovation here, move along. # I love how you claim it's the same, then list two reasons that its all new.

I personally upgrade every 2 years, so I was coming from the 4. The 5 was a great upgrade for me and the sale of our unlocked 16 & 32 4's paid for the entire upgrade for 2 32gb iPhone 5's. The upgrade basically cost us nothing.

Regardless there is no way I would go back to the 4 or 4S. LTE is simply too amazing. Everything else was just a bonus.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
Yep, no reason to upgrade, it's exactly the same as the 4S. It makes phone calls and uses apps. No innovation here, move along. # I love how you claim it's the same, then list two reasons that its all new.

I personally upgrade every 2 years, so I was coming from the 4. The 5 was a great upgrade for me and the sale of our unlocked 16 & 32 4's paid for the entire upgrade for 2 32gb iPhone 5's. The upgrade basically cost us nothing.

Regardless there is no way I would go back to the 4 or 4S. LTE is simply too amazing. Everything else was just a bonus.

Do you need to upgrade to a 4" inch? Is .5 inches that big of a difference? Maybe if you're a chick it is. ;)

As for different design, is the 4S that heavy to hold?

If you're going from the 4 to the 5, then yes there is a reason to upgrade.

In my eyes going from a 4S to a 5 is pointless. My 4S data is fast enough for me, I don't need LTE to browse.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Over the last two months I have been researching a phone to replace my iPhone4 because it has intermittent problems that were not readily duplicatable.

I spent a lot of time with

Samsung SIII
Samsung NoteII
Apple iPhone 5

When it came to usability, man those large screens on the Samsung could not be beat, however my familiarity with IOS prevented me from going to Android.

So I focused on the iPhone 5.

Well after all was said and done, my iPhone 4 finally gave up the ghost.

I paid Apple for an out of warranty replacement.

The iPhone 5 was disappointing to me. Anyone who says the iPhone5 screen is a big improvement over the iPhone 4 is just trying to justify the so called 'upgrade' because the difference truly is minimal.

There is a performance boost with the iPhone 5 but not enough to justify spending $300 or $400 and being LOCKED into another two year contract!

I'll stick with the iPhone 4 until Apple comes out with something more functional for my use!

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
I think if you updated from the 4S to the 5 thinking it was something "new" then obviously you are just trying to keep up with the Joneses.

I was going to upgrade, then I seen the release of it and that killed the thought of upgrading. Same as 4S, longer screen, different design, and does the same thing that the 4S does. I'll keep my 4S.

Nothing is the same as the 4s. It's as different as any Android or Windows handset. The longer screen maintains single hand usability but adds more real estate, colors, contrast, reflection and the 'properties' of the screen have all been improved upon. The speed increase from the A5-->A6 is a 100% or two fold performance jump in al, measured specs...as is the new GPU the PowerVR SGX543MP3 doubles the graphics performance, BrowserMark scores are a two fold increase....and the Sunspider benchmarking is twice as fast...and the 4s was/still is a dominant force in it's own right. Still very comparable in these scores; GPU, CPU, browsing and Java tests--to the 'flagship' 'Droid counterparts. We've still got a 4s in house...but after almost three months of '5' ownership...as well, my son's new iTouch 5--the perceived, subjective and objective observations between the two models is extraordinary. As is the incredible, impeccable engineering design. Easily the best iPhone to date

One thing many of you waiting for a revolutionary update need to remember, that will NEVER, EVER happen again. Not with an existing device. They did it in 2007. That was the revolutionary design/release. The original iPhone. From now forward, evolutionary designs with both hardware AND software (recent management shakeups @ Apple Inc, IMHO show there are 'others' in management that agree iOS may indeed be starting to 'stale' a bit...and to put the lead hardware stud behind the software is a brilliant move and one we 'fans' should be able to look forward to in future updates). To me, the software is exactly where revolutionary tactics may still reside. These next two years of iOS and OSx development/interaction will prove interesting.

Exactly, precisely, and TRUE!

LTE, if you have access is absolutely a night and day difference. Regardless of whether you're surfing, uploading pics, downloading news feeds or RSS...an iTunes song (sometimes literally in 5 or 6 seconds), streaming video, using Siri...the list goes on and on and on. Faster than 'connected' broadband in most folks' homes from their ISP---a true world of difference. If you don't have it in your market yet, don't fret! AT&T is on a frantic rollout pace to catch up with Verizon...mom n pop local ISPs are doing their bit--TMobile and Sprint moving forward. The UK is finally starting their rollout...Asia has always been WAY ahead of 'the west' when it comes to technology and bandwidth. Korea, Japan, and Taiwan...and with China now selling the iPhone and updating their high speed, wireless networks...it should be ubiquitous in the 'world' over within 5 years. I'm in Anchorage Alaska...they (AT&T) flipped the LTE switch literally two weeks before the iPhone 5 release. I actually noticed it on my iPad '3' at first. If Alaska is enjoying LTE in several markets...at least in the USA, you should see it soon...at least in reasonable sized markets.

Do you need to upgrade to a 4" inch? Is .5 inches that big of a difference? Maybe if you're a chick it is. ;)

As for different design, is the 4S that heavy to hold?

If you're going from the 4 to the 5, then yes there is a reason to upgrade.

In my eyes going from a 4S to a 5 is pointless. My 4S data is fast enough for me, I don't need LTE to browse.

See above. Definitely much, MUCH MORE to LTE than browsing alone...albeit browsing is a much more enjoyable experience. As well, I'm definitely not 'a chick' and your post tells us a lot about your age. Just because your Mom said 'absolutely NOT!' Doesn't mean you should outright dismiss the attributes of a 4s--->5 upgrade. IMHO it's the absolute biggest performance update/upgrade since the iPhone released...other than maybe the '3G' subsidized upgrade from the original.

Over the last two months I have been researching a phone to replace my iPhone4 because it has intermittent problems that were not readily duplicatable.

I spent a lot of time with

Samsung SIII
Samsung NoteII
Apple iPhone 5

When it came to usability, man those large screens on the Samsung could not be beat, however my familiarity with IOS prevented me from going to Android.

So I focused on the iPhone 5.

Well after all was said and done, my iPhone 4 finally gave up the ghost.

I paid Apple for an out of warranty replacement.

The iPhone 5 was disappointing to me. Anyone who says the iPhone5 screen is a big improvement over the iPhone 4 is just trying to justify the so called 'upgrade' because the difference truly is minimal.

There is a performance boost with the iPhone 5 but not enough to justify spending $300 or $400 and being LOCKED into another two year contract!

I'll stick with the iPhone 4 until Apple comes out with something more functional for my use!

Again, sorry you're unable to appreciate the significantly updated screen. It's not just 'longer'. It sports better color and calibration from the 'factory'. Less reflection, more accurate and natural when watching 16:9 movies or extra real estate for gaming and it's controls...extra 'portrait' browsing room especially noticeable when in full screen, reading books and magazines or PDFs (speaking of which, PDF rendering is almost immediate...instantaneous reaction to manipulation of PDFs. Very nice indeed).

I think the biggest benefits to the '5' are yet to come. As developers utilize the tricks and power of the A6 processing and extra RAM (another 'biggie'!)--as well, packaging their apps with the 3.5" equivalent, we'll see what the phone is truly capable of. For now though, in almost every task I'm doing on my '5' is fast, without lag, and much improved over my 4s. Just like the 4s vs the 4 right now, the most notable performance measures are still six months out...but why not be ready? If you've got an upgrade available on your account, it only makes sense...as you can always recoup most of, if not all of your upfront associated subsidized costs. If you hold out a generation, it's not necessarily going to turn out that way as the resale of older handsets decrease. If you know you're going to have a cell phone. If you're happy with your carrier and aren't planning to leave, why not?

It definitely, once again, IS the best iPhone...if not smart phone available today.

J

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
Nothing is the same as the 4s. It's as different as any Android or Windows handset. The longer screen maintains single hand usability but adds more real estate, colors, contrast, reflection and the 'properties' of the screen have all been improved upon. The speed increase from the A5-->A6 is a 100% or two fold performance jump in al, measured specs...as is the new GPU the PowerVR SGX543MP3 doubles the graphics performance, BrowserMark scores are a two fold increase....and the Sunspider benchmarking is twice as fast...and the 4s was/still is a dominant force in it's own right. Still very comparable in these scores; GPU, CPU, browsing and Java tests--to the 'flagship' 'Droid counterparts. We've still got a 4s in house...but after almost three months of '5' ownership...as well, my son's new iTouch 5--the perceived, subjective and objective observations between the two models is extraordinary. As is the incredible, impeccable engineering design. Easily the best iPhone to date

See above. Definitely much, MUCH MORE to LTE than browsing alone...albeit browsing is a much more enjoyable experience. As well, I'm definitely not 'a chick' and your post tells us a lot about your age. Just because your Mom said 'absolutely NOT!' Doesn't mean you should outright dismiss the attributes of a 4s--->5 upgrade. IMHO it's the absolute biggest performance update/upgrade since the iPhone released...other than maybe the '3G' subsidized upgrade from the original.

Sorry but the A6 and A5 are what, milliseconds different? I can game on my wife's iPhone 5 and not notice much, I think you're thinking the iPhone 5 is like an orgasmic device. Come on now, please give me something I can test on my 4S and my wife's 5 so I can see a difference.

As for the size thing, it was a joke, guess humor goes out the window when you get older. But no need to try and insult me by bringing a "your mom" statement as I'm 25 year old. Tell us a lot about your age, old.

Don't get so offended when someone feels the 5 isn't worth upgrading to from the 4S. I'll upgrade to the 5S.

Last edited:

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California
Call me crazy but I wished the iPhone 5 weight as much as the 4/4S. Purchased the 5 this week and the 4S just feels more "solid" in comparison. With that aside, I will gladly enjoy my new upgrade.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
No. After being accustomed to iPhone 5 using an 4S feels like a massive step back.

iPhone 5 is a beast compared to 4S, i cant think why anyone would want to go back.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I made the switch after two months of owning the 5 and I'm very happy with the change. The 5 is a very nice phone but every time I used the 4 I had given to my girlfriend I was envious of the quality I felt. I have noticed no difference in speed (we don't have LTE here yet) so there's really nothing I'm missing.

I realize a lot of you prefer the lighter longer design but the size difference is so minimal and I like my fat n heavy phone. On top of that I have my Lockinfo and My3G back. No more low quality YouTube videos for this guy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.