Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Garoolgan

macrumors member
Original poster
Hi,

Anything entered in my MacBook Pro in iCal, Address Book and Notes is transferred during a sync to my iPhone 3 but not the other way around.

Does anyone know whether it is possible at all and if so, as of which iPhone model, using the USB cable, it is possible to do a "real" two-way sync?

All I want to do is to be able to enter an address, note or appointment in my iPhone and for the information be transferred to my MacBook during the next sync.

Thanks in advance for any information on this subject.

Best wishes to you all for Christmas and the New Year.

Garoolgan

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Perhaps you have an older iTunes that needs updating.

On my iTunes 10.7 and now 11, once you plug in the phone, under the phone's INFO, there is a check box that says something like "Override phone with this PC Data" It's intended for a first time sync and you want your phone to start with fresh stuff from your PC. This checkbox however resets itself automatically so subsequent syncs are two-ways. Am thinking in on older iTunes you have to manual turn it off?

Last edited:

Garoolgan

macrumors member
Original poster
Thanks Mr. bobb but I have the latest iTunes (V = 11.0.1) and iPhone (V = 4.2.1).

As said previously the MacBook to iPhone works perfectly but anything entered on the iPhone 3 doesn't sync to the MacBook. I have been told that newer iPhones (4 or 4S ??) do sync both ways and am looking for confirmation of this.

I was still working when I bought my first iPhone 3 (as soon as it came out) but I resold it immediately because of this problem and kept using my "Tungsten T" as it synced both ways. Now that I'm retired, syncing isn't as important, the Tungsten died and my son gave me his old iPhone 3, but it would be nice not to have to write on little slips of paper during the day and then to enter them into my MacBook in the evening so that, as of a sync, I have the details on my iPhone.

Garoolgan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.