Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soamz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Orissa, India
Hi.. I have all the settings and data and apps ready on my iPad.

There are few issues with this new iPad ,so I would most probably ask them for a replacement .

But before I do that , I would like to keep a complete backup of my device , so that when the new one comes, I can simply restore everything to what I have now .

Let me know, how to.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
just connect to your computer itune and sync the device. Itune should operate a complete back up of all setting, apps and game progress. I avoid using Icloud, prefer to have it save on my computer harddisk.

soamz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Orissa, India
ITunes asks me to erase everything and it wants me to sync with its old data.

I can't afford to erase or lose anything. Let me know how then.

Rhyalus

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2011
Dude, use the icloud backup...someone answered you already. Go to Settings / General / icloud.

It works great.

R

soamz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Orissa, India
Dude, use the icloud backup...someone answered you already. Go to Settings / General / icloud.

It works great.

R

I dont have a super fast internet connection and iCloud is just 5GB.

My iPad Apps purchases is total around 20GB , games and business apps.

So, iCloud is out of the context . I need to keep the whole backup on my iMac only.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I dont have a super fast internet connection and iCloud is just 5GB.

My iPad Apps purchases is total around 20GB , games and business apps.

So, iCloud is out of the context . I need to keep the whole backup on my iMac only.

iCloud backup only backs up your iPad settings and app data, not the apps themselves. So it's likely that your iPad backup will be under 5GB, even though your apps take up 20GB. Just try turning on your iCloud backup, it'll tell you if you don't have enough space. You can also save space by not backing up select app data.

That said, restoring from iCloud over a slow Internet connection can take a while. To backp to your computer, connect your iPad to iTunes, cancel the sync, and then look for the backup button. That should let you backup without syncing. There should also be a "transfer purchases" command somewhere. I'm not in front of my computer, so I don't know where it is exactly. But the idea is to do "transfer purchases" to copy your apps to your computer, and do a backp to backup your iPad data to your computer. Then when you get your new iPad, you connect it to your computer and do a restore from the backup. Make sure to keep the iPad connected until all the apps have copied. People often think the process is done when the iPad restarts and unhook the iPad, then they go "Where are my apps????"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.