Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TW95

macrumors member
Original poster
May 26, 2010
London
Hey,

I have a new iMac 2012 which was delivered about a week ago, everything is working fine but one thing seems to intrigue me...

The ambient temperature sensor. I am using iStat as a dashboard widget and the ambient temperature reading is hovering around the 5-7 degrees Celsius mark. Obviously this isn't the temperature of the room I am in which is what the ambient temperature is.

Does anyone have any ideas on why the reading is so low?

Something else interesting is that the air temperature outside corresponds almost exactly to the ambient temperature reading on the iMac.

Thanks for reading, look forward to hearing your replies.

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
Is that a 27" iMac 2012?

I know my old 2006 iMac had an ambient temp sensor, and it always read a couple of degrees above the temp of the room since I figured inside the case was always a bit warmer.

My new 27" 2012 iMac doesn't have an ambient sensor. It has:

CPU Proximity (assume it's on the logic board next to the socket)
GPU Die (Nvidia's on-die temp sensor for the 680MX)
LCD Proximity (attached to backside of LCD panel)
MLB Proximity (I assume this might be the ambient temp sensor - just measuring the local temp near the logic board)
PCH Die (on-die sensor in Intel's platform controller hub chip)

TW95

macrumors member
Original poster
May 26, 2010
London
Sorry, it is the 21.5" model. On iStat my temps are: Apple SSD, Apple HDD, Ambient, GPU Diode, Mem bank A1, Mem controller. They are the ones that are listed. Current reading is 7 Celsius.

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
These are the temps on my 27 inch (in F) I've got the ambient temp. I just started using it from a period of sleep, but it's pretty low, lower than the room temp.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-12-25 at 11.58.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-25 at 11.58.37 AM.png
    146.5 KB · Views: 1,174

TW95

macrumors member
Original poster
May 26, 2010
London
That ambient temperature is similar to my reading. It's at 7 (C) at the moment, yours translates to be about 8.8 (C).

I guess then no one has any idea why the reading is so low?

baxlobs

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2012
Suffolk UK
Mine says 1deg C :eek:

No way is my study anywhere near that temp, it seems pretty meaningless, at that least that is what I have assumed, unless there is built in Air-Con?

Paulywauly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
Durham, UK
The ambient sensor in my brand new Mini isn't correct either. Although iStat shows it correctly before i migrated from my last Mac (an iMac) it must be an issue with the newer 2012 models not working with iStat correctly, this kind of thing has happened before and an iStat update usually fixes it

ThirteenXIII

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2008
the main reading for the ambient temp sensor is not the room, its an estimate mix of the temperature around the components internally.

gazzazh

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2012
the main reading for the ambient temp sensor is not the room, its an estimate mix of the temperature around the components internally.

HI guys, I am using Istat version 4.03, and i cant find ambient temp.Where is it located,, My CPU Proximity averages between 41-50 Degrees

Leonavice

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2013
iStat is currently not working for the 2012 iMac. Mine shows an ambient temperature of 1 degree Celsius, and I am living in the tropics...

whiskymac

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
Spey Valley
iStat is currently not working for the 2012 iMac. Mine shows an ambient temperature of 1 degree Celsius, and I am living in the tropics...

I think iStat needs updating - I have an ambient temperature reading of 1 degree C - freezing :eek:
- or 255 degrees C melt down :eek::eek: - nothing in between - and I live nearer the North Pole than the tropics :D

Mac

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.