Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tymaster50

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
about a 8. My mini doesn't have retina and you can really notice it after looking at the iPhone 5. And some of my apps are still stuck in "iPhone mode" so having to put it on 2x makes it look horrendous. other than that I would enjoy it more but I have an iPhone 5 so it's basically just for a bigger screen.

Also why is the white iPad Mini so desirable? Whats wrong with the black one?

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
the mini I had I would rate a 4. couldn't get over how bad website text looked. the 4 I exchanged it for I would rate an 8 with a deduction for its physical size only. I love everything about it but if a slimmer and lighter version comes out, or an updated mini with way better resolution than the current, I would rate either a 10

clborden

macrumors regular
May 12, 2009
Derby, CT
I absolutely love my mini. The lack of retina is a downfall, but its not a deal breaker at all. The size and weight are perfect, and more than make up for its absence. Out of 10, I'd say 8 is about right. Maybe 8.5, but that's just me.

stickybuns

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
I'm very happy with my mini. My only major complaint is that the on screen keyboard often covers text boxes, which is a bit annoying. I've used it for reading e-books without any eye strain, so I have no plans to replace it when the retina model is released--just going to wait until the OS is truly obsolete (e.g. App developers no longer support updates).

9 out of 10

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
10/10, because it's one of the most exciting devices I've ever owned, from Apple or others (including my Kindle, on which I've read 70 books this year alone, though my Kindle is still near the top of greatest devices of all time I've owned!).

Every time I hold the mini I'm amazed and impressed at how thin and lightweight it feels, yet how sturdy and solid it also feels, like you're holding true quality, and using it is really one of the most enjoyable experiences for me, so definitely a 10/10 (far exceeded my expectations).

Last edited:

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
about a 8. My mini doesn't have retina and you can really notice it after looking at the iPhone 5. And some of my apps are still stuck in "iPhone mode" so having to put it on 2x makes it look horrendous. other than that I would enjoy it more but I have an iPhone 5 so it's basically just for a bigger screen.

I love mine, I use it all the time.

I've been waiting a month to trade my black Mini in for the white one. I have a white iPhone and I just like the white products better.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I can rate my iPad experience since the first contact ...

iPad: 8/10
iPad 2: 10/10
iPad 4: 10/10

It's perfect for my needs. I was a little bit disappointed by the lack of memory of original iPad ...

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004

Cellular 16gb black ipad mini: resting 9.5/10 :D

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
10/10. Can't replace my notebook, but it just works! Not like the pos android tablet I had

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
Love my iPad 4 ... 10. Still love my ipad2 as well, it scores less for text but I don't use it for that now, I use it for other things, for which it scores 10.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Ipad 4. Around 8.5

8.5 is sufficient for me though
Would've liked a lighter version and a faster processor still.
But love the retina display

kylera

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
Had mine since mid-November, moved up from iPad 2 and I would rate it 8 of ten. For some reason, mine occasionally drops cellular signal, something I never saw on the 2. I blame iOS 6 for that.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
iPad 3 I would rate 7/10
iPad mini I would rate 10/10

I've had the iPad 3 since the summer after winning it. It replaced my iPad 1 and the main downfall I had with it was that it was just 16GB, where my ipad 1 was a 32GB.

I've had the iPad mini since a week after it was released and absolutely love it. The iPad 3 just sits around. I would say I am using the iPad mini 98% of the time now and the iPad 2 the other 2%. The iPad mini being so small and light literally comes with me everywhere. Just put it in my messenger bag or backpack and off I go.

mtondreo

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2011
Using my iPad mini right now and still deciding. I still have my original iPad. The first time I touched a mini was yesterday at the apple store and thought it would be great for wifey and daughter. They surprised me today and I am very impressed, but not sure if I miss the size of the iPad yet

jraske

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
iPad mini = 6/10
iPad 4 = 9/10

I have both (and I've owned every iPad to-date).

Here's my way of thinking . . . The screen is the interface and is the single most important aspect of a touch-based tablet. So, retina displays are clearly superior. And, the Mini's touch targets and text are blurry, small, and a real step backwards for a company that is pushing retina displays. For me, the Mini's screen is the deal breaker.

That being said, the iPad 4 would benefit from the adoption of the Mini's general form factor, etc. A lighter 9.7" iPad might be perfect . . . But then, a retina Mini might be as well. Either way, we are lucky/fortunate that we cand beats this sort of thing.

S

syd430

Owned every ipad except the original.

Ipad 2 -> sold it after several months in 2011 as the pixel density was too low. -> 7/10

Ipad 3 -> good screen but lacking in grunt for intensive tasks -> 8/10

Ipad mini -> cheap, crap, compromised toy -> 4/10

Ipad 4 -> pure nirvana. Blazing speed. Also finally lucky enough to get one with an even screen tint and very pure whites. Havent been able to put the thing down for months. -> 10/10

Last edited by a moderator:

iPunish901

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
Memphis, TN
iPad mini 10/10

Wow people over exaggerated about how bad the screen was. I have retina everything else and it's honestly not that bad.

I love the size, I love how good it feels, I love everything about this thing.

DelMac

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
My iMac doesn't have retina. My MBAir doesn't have retina. Do I give a caca if my iPad Mini doesn't have retina? Not at all. I bought it on Nov 26 and in the month I've owned it, I rate it an 8 out of 10. And I'd rate it the same even if it had the god status retina display.

Anyone else notice how some people here seem to think if something is not retina, it's not worthy?

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Anyone else notice how some people here seem to think if something is not retina, it's not worthy?

Yep, it's one of those features men can stand around feeling more manly for being able to deride something. Imagine all the men in the neighbourhood gather around one of the neighbours new cars with its hood/bonnet up, staring into the engine block agreeing, "it's not a 4 barrel carb, it's crap, the whole thing is a waste of money, can't believe Joe (the owner) got taken so badly, must have been his wife's decision, yep, he's whipped," complete with spitting and profanity and wire twiddling and engine tapping and prodding that accompanies such a scene. You can just imagine they all exit the scene with a throbbing manhood boost. Can't you see it? The exact same scene unfolds here all the time.

AppleWarMachine

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2011
Michigan, US
9 out of 10 (because nothing's perfect)...

I have to subtract a point for it's weight

Other than that, the size, speed, clarity, everything else...perfect :D

tymaster50

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
My iMac doesn't have retina. My MBAir doesn't have retina. Do I give a caca if my iPad Mini doesn't have retina? Not at all. I bought it on Nov 26 and in the month I've owned it, I rate it an 8 out of 10. And I'd rate it the same even if it had the god status retina display.

I've had an iPhone 4 and an iPhone 5, my dell laptop has a hd screen, my ps3 outputs in 1080p or i. I'm used to high quality screens lol, I mean it's worthy and it's not noticeable at first but when you use a retina product the difference becomes noticeable and the text looks blurry as a result. Guess they did it to keep costs down. What good would a retina mini be if barely anyone buys it lol

Browns2212

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2012
Orchard Park, NY
I've had the iPad 2 since March: 8/10

Just got the iPad 4 for the family on X-Mas and so far it's just as good, only with a better display and faster processor: 9.5/10

Love both devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.