Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Coffeeguy320

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2012
Was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I got a new iMac and want to migrate everything from my older Mac book pro. Would USB 2.0 work with the 3.0. Would there be a better way to migrate? Through my network? FireWire to thunderbolt? Thanks for your help!

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
Yes, you can use USB2 into the USB3 port, USB2 speed only. An adapter for FireWire to Thunderbolt would be faster. Please only use wifi as a last resort ---that takes f o r e v e r! --At least it did with my brother's Mini, yikes!

Gelite55

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
New iMac's kicks the Mac Pro's a**. Even the 12 core one doesn't have a 680 GFX card. Apple will probably kill off the Mac Pro in the future. Too long without an update. Their clearly encouraging you to buy a iMac.

Coffeeguy320

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2012
Thanks!

Thanks! It's actually for my daughter. As a photography major, she has killed her Mac book with all of the photography programs. I'm pretty computer illiterate myself--word processing, email, browsing and iTunes suits my needs. I'm hoping this computer gets her into her professional life.

Gelite55

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
Thanks! It's actually for my daughter. As a photography major, she has killed her Mac book with all of the photography programs. I'm pretty computer illiterate myself--word processing, email, browsing and iTunes suits my needs. I'm hoping this computer gets her into her professional life.

You're welcome! I'm getting a 27" with the i7 and 680mx. This thing is gonna be a Lamborghini!

It should be more than enough for what she needs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.