Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
It's that time of the year again! What's your game of the year for 2012? Pick one per console, just one, a selection of your top X games, who am I the GOTY police?
---------------​

Borderlands 2 for how fun it is with friends, it's this mini-era's L4D.
Little Big Planet Vita almost had it for me but I thought the touchscreen stuff took away part of the fun.
Pokemon Black and White 2 was so fast and to the point, and really got me back into the series.

I think New Super Mario U is my GOTY. So much fun with 3 players and those challenges really are old school Nintendo hard.

Other runners up: When Vikings Attack, Farcry 3, Journey.

TedM

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
California
It's that time of the year again! What's your game of the year for 2012? Pick one per console, just one, a selection of your top X games, who am I the GOTY police?
---------------​

Borderlands 2 for how fun it is with friends, it's this mini-era's L4D.
Little Big Planet Vita almost had it for me but I thought the touchscreen stuff took away part of the fun.
Pokemon Black and White 2 was so fast and to the point, and really got me back into the series.

I think New Super Mario U is my GOTY. So much fun with 3 players and those challenges really are old school Nintendo hard.

Other runners up: When Vikings Attack, Farcry 3, Journey.

Borderlands 2 was good. Though admittedly I never finished it. Any game I shelf before completion can't be my goty. Farcry 3 and pokemon I am literally about to get today. I've heard great things.

My vote at the current moment would be for Dishonored or XCOM. Maybe even Smite, but that's in Beta, so it also can't be considered.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
XBox 360: Skyrim - I know it was released late last year, but did many of you actually finish it in 2011? No other game since Bard's Tale on my C64 has managed to suck me in like Skyrim. I took a break from it to play Lego LOTR and both Darksiders games, but I'm salivating over the new DLC (Dragonborn).

OSX: Limbo - I found that big, demanding 3D games play well on my XBox, and the MBP is home to a slew of indie-goodness. Oddball, artistic games that don't require super speed from me or my GPU. Limbo was a moody, dark, "what on Earth is going to happen next?" journey. I actually managed to complete it with only one trip to the internets, and that was because I couldn't figure out how to get across that pond with the floating crate in it. Brilliant game design.

iOS: Ski Safari - Picked this up when it went free, but I play it much more than games I've paid for. It's fast, fun, colorful, and funny. Challenging without being frustrating.

Crap. I left Portal 2 out. Take your pick of what platform to play it on, but definitely play it. Don't miss out.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
The Walking Dead. Sure the decisions you make during the game for the most part don't alter the outcome, but it feels like it is (mostly) and that's what is important to me.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
PS Vita: Toss up between MGS: HD Collection or Gravity Rush. The later for being innovative, MGS because well...MGS3 is still awesome :p

360: Halo 4. For me, this was the best surprise all year. I didn't think 343 would do a bad job to begin with, but I was a bit wary of a non-Bungie Halo game. Honourable mention to DOA5 for being a very easy pick up and play fighter with some nice character additions and a solid story mode. Also Sarah Bryant in a bikini helps.

PS3: Tekken Tag 2. I know it's technically multi-platform but still this game is so much fun with friends. The roster of characters is astonishing. Honourable mention Journey. It's just something people should experience. Like now.

My personal GOTY though, even though it's over 2 years old now, is Assassins Creed 2 which I finally got around to.
It's amazing. Seriously. The story and gameplay mechanics are solid, the locations are beautiful (seriously how can Revolutionary America compare to Renaissance Italy?) and the amount of consideration and thought that went into the game in general is impressive.

I have Forza Horizon, Hitman Absolution anda couple of others under the tree waiting to be played so I couldn't comment on them yet...

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
Strangely, the game that I enjoyed playing the most this year was Sleeping Dogs. I was expecting a mediocre game with flaws but got a really good game.

Don't get me wrong, it is not a great, but I really enjoyed it, I even Platinum'd it. Not been a great year for games personally, last year was fantastic though, Uncharted and Skyrim, why did those two games have to come out at around the same time? Damn.

I have a Wii U waiting under the tree so there is still time for my GOTY to change yet! :D

Miharu

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Finland
I think my GoTY 2011 was Dark Souls. This years game is Dark Souls for PC :rolleyes:

Skyrim is a really good contender. It's hard to think of it as a 2011 game, as it was released late into the year and updated many times this year along with some DLC.

kingc0bra

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2012
Strangely, the game that I enjoyed playing the most this year was Sleeping Dogs. I was expecting a mediocre game with flaws but got a really good game.

Don't get me wrong, it is not a great, but I really enjoyed it, I even Platinum'd it. Not been a great year for games personally, last year was fantastic though, Uncharted and Skyrim, why did those two games have to come out at around the same time? Damn.

I have a Wii U waiting under the tree so there is still time for my GOTY to change yet! :D

Not to burst your bubble, but my Wii U is already collecting dust, def no GOTY on that platform, barely any exclusives actually

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Not to burst your bubble, but my Wii U is already collecting dust, def no GOTY on that platform, barely any exclusives actually

Way to bring the thread down :rolleyes: let's keep things positive...

Totally forgot Torchlight 2: Played that for ages when it first came out - only stopped when my friends did (much better in multiplayer)

I'd also put down Zen Pinball 2 for the Vita, it still sucks up a few hours a week from me.

kingc0bra

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2012
Way to bring the thread down :rolleyes: let's keep things positive...

Totally forgot Torchlight 2: Played that for ages when it first came out - only stopped when my friends did (much better in multiplayer)

I'd also put down Zen Pinball 2 for the Vita, it still sucks up a few hours a week from me.

What do you mean keep things positive? I'm giving my honest opinion about the platform (which I Own) and its games, what is wrong about that?? :rolleyes:

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Mass Effect 3!

Edit: Have not played Dishonored or Far Cry 3 yet. The look like they have potential as well.

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
No GOTY for me...

I play too many video games each year that rarely 1 stands out as 'the best'... And 'GOTY' tag has lost its merit when publishers bung the tag onto any re-released game even if its tripe.

So games that I have enjoyed the most this year in no particular order

Darksiders 2
Mass Effect 3
Lego Batman 2
Lego Lord of the Rings
Deus Ex : Human Revolution
Sonic Racing All Stars Transformed
Little Big Planet Vita
Persona 4G

And I'm enjoying Skylanders : Giants at moment too.

Great year for downloadable titles too

Rayman jungle run (iOS)
Journey
Papo & yo
Trine 2
Strangers Wrath HD & Munches Odyssey HD

Considering I must play 50+ retail titles, and 100+ downloads a year that's not a bad list :) ...

Last edited:

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
XBox 360: Skyrim - I know it was released late last year, but did many of you actually finish it in 2011? No other game since Bard's Tale on my C64 has managed to suck me in like Skyrim. I took a break from it to play Lego LOTR and both Darksiders games, but I'm salivating over the new DLC (Dragonborn).

I agree...if you finished Skyrim in 2011, you were more interested in "just finishing" than really taking in the game. Over the 11 months I played I put in 480 hours...I'm looking at finally accelerating my play over the holidays to finally finish it...so I can start over again as a *mage*.

So, in the vein of nominating a game from late last year that I didn't have time to play the crap out of until this year: Mario Kart 7 for the 3DS is my GOTY. Holy cow, every time I get started, I play for a couple of weeks, until my wrists have serious pain issues, and then I have to put it down for a month or two, while I wonder if I need to see a neurologist for carpal tunnel syndrome -- seriously (maybe I shouldn't be holding down the acceleration *all* the time). I was also impressed how the 3D effects really added to the game, over and above the regular DS Mario Kart.

GOTY for my Mac: going out on a limb here, but Wineskin. I finally figured out how to use it and set it up, and I have been playing a couple of old Win 95/Win 98 games that I missed "back in the day." I know, technically Wineskin isn't a game, but without it, I wouldn't be playing some outstanding computer games of yesteryear (since you asked ;), Terminus, Planescape: Torment, and Gothic).

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
It's a tie for me. Borderlands 2 and Mass Effect 3.

Borderlands is and will always be an amazingly fun game, and the sequel turned the dial to 11.

Mass Effect 3 was a beautiful ending to my favorite franchise. I know it got a lot of grief because it wasn't a happily ever after, but I feel that the game was the perfect conclusion.

Journey is another favorite (tho, I thought it was a 2011 game until I read through the thread).

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
My GOTY is Catherine. No game has kept me so hooked since Metal Gear Solid.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
My GOTY is Catherine. No game has kept me so hooked since Metal Gear Solid.

I really enjoyed Catherine too. Gosh it got bloody difficult by the end though.

Another for my list, Far Cry 3 is great fun and I love exploring and finding the hidden temples and treasures.

Last edited:

ugp

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2008
Inverness, Florida
I am going to have to go with Far Cry 3 on my list. It's been awhile since I played a game that I had as much fun with as I did with it.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
I didn't buy any games that were released in 2012 last year, I only bought games released earlier. SC2 was my personal game of the year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.