Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bonnjer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2012
I'm brand new here, so allow me to explain the situation...

My wife bought an iPad (iPad 16 gb) for me for Christmas (yay, finally got one!). It is a used one, but seems to be in top notch shape, no scratches, dings, etc. It looks to be jailbroken, as Cydia is installed on it. It has iOS 5.1.1. I have not connected it to my computer yet, but I'd like to upgrade to the latest iOS and sync it to my computer. I'm not really all that interested in it be jailbroken, either.

It also has wi-fi and 3g capability. What do I need to do to be able to use 3g?

Thanks for the help on this. Looking forward to learning some things in what looks to be a great iPad forum!

Jeremy

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
In order for 3G to work you need to have a data plan. Do you have one from your cell phone carrier? If so setup your 3G with the account info.

Alfuh

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2009
You can plug the iPad I to the computer and install the latest iOS version from iTunes. This will write over the jail broken iOS and you will be all updated.

Previous poster was right about 3G, that will come from your cell provider.

Enjoy your new iPad!

bonnjer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2012
Yes, I do have a small data plan. Is there a particular way to set up the iPad so that it will recognize the carrier and account information?

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
If I was you I would do a fresh restore , delete all the stuff from the previous owner
If you don't care about jailbreak

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.