Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zemzabob

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2010
My 07 plastic backed 24" iMac is still going strong never had an issue with it but I have a maxed out new 27" on its way.

drewaz

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2012
Phoenix
mid 2007. added RAM and a new HD ... works well. Have a new 27 on order. The old one will be working full time uploading data from my Davis Vue to weather underground.

Braxoyd

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2012
MD
Olde 24" iMac

Mine is still running, I have replaced Video cards twice and got a larger HD & a Superdrive. but its still kickin' :D

----------

Mine is still running, I have replaced Video cards twice and got a larger HD & a Superdrive. but its still kickin' :D Oh Yeah I bought it March 2007

biggd

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2008
Calgary
07, 24 w/ ssd

JUST put in a 240GB SSD into my late 2007 iMac with 4GB and ML

It runs like a dream! And is faster than my quad, 8GB, 2011 MacBook Pro

Def hoping to get another 4-6 years outta it.

Dipwind

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2012
Never had an Issue with my machine, brought in 2008, 500GB HD running full for the last 2 years. Ram upgrade to 4GB and works like a charm.

I might have reboot the computer 30 times in 4 years, when not working is in sleep mode. At a touch of a key it comes alive and ready to be used.

I couldn't resist to the new 27" so I brought one, but unfortunately I need to wait until Jan, fortunately I still have my loyal companion running as new :D

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
My 2008 is still going strong, i chucked a Sammy 830 SSD in it and gave it too my parents, it still looks and runs like new. Im hoping my new 27" will give the same trouble free 5 years.

mlsusa

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
I have a late 2007 model maxed to the official 4gb limit and with the exception of needing to cycle through a couple of mouses (mice?) it's been running flawlessly. But over the last year it's definitely showing its age. An app, any app, will bounce several times on the Dock before I see it launch. iPhoto and iMovie grind to a halt when they pretty much do anything. iTunes every now and then pinwheels/beachballs for a long time when syncing an iDevice. Not sure if it's the Lion/ML upgrades other people have mentioned on these forums. It's served me quite well and I'm sure will continue to do an admirable job for at least the near future. But I'm guessing a lot of software these days just need more horsepower and memory than this guy is officially configured for.

biggd

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2008
Calgary
I have a late 2007 model maxed to the official 4gb limit and with the exception of needing to cycle through a couple of mouses (mice?) it's been running flawlessly. But over the last year it's definitely showing its age. An app, any app, will bounce several times on the Dock before I see it launch. iPhoto and iMovie grind to a halt when they pretty much do anything. iTunes every now and then pinwheels/beachballs for a long time when syncing an iDevice. Not sure if it's the Lion/ML upgrades other people have mentioned on these forums. It's served me quite well and I'm sure will continue to do an admirable job for at least the near future. But I'm guessing a lot of software these days just need more horsepower and memory than this guy is officially configured for.

My friend, if you get an SSD all the bounces and beach balls will go away. Super fast harddrive and a clean Mac os x install!

mlsusa

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
My friend, if you get an SSD all the bounces and beach balls will go away. Super fast harddrive and a clean Mac os x install!

I've heard this from people at work, too. Wasn't thinking of it seriously until recently. I'm not one to tinker with electronics but have done so in the past so I know I'm capable. A little hesitant to pry this one open but may be worth taking the plunge since the alternative is to plunk down 2-3k for a new one.

biggd

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2008
Calgary
I've heard this from people at work, too. Wasn't thinking of it seriously until recently. I'm not one to tinker with electronics but have done so in the past so I know I'm capable. A little hesitant to pry this one open but may be worth taking the plunge since the alternative is to plunk down 2-3k for a new one.

I got a 240SSD on sale for $150, with great reviews.
I watched 4 YouTube videos on the replacement (plus read ifixit guide)

Use a suction cup (or a CLEAN plunger) to remove the glass cover, undo some screws, lift up LCD, install ssd, redo all screws.

iMac literally runs like a BRAND NEW computer

davecil

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2013
Early 2008 24 inch Imac display brightness

Has anyone had to replace their LCD panel in one of these? Im not sure if I need to replace the panel (Apple wants $1200 to do it, that's the price of a new iMac!) or if i just need to open her up and clean out some dust. When I adjust the brightness on the keyboard, the gamut isn't that wide it goes from slightly dim to brighter, but not like it used too (seemed like it used to blow my eyeballs out in a dark room).

Boogsephine

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
I bought a 'broken' 24" iMac from my boss about a year ago and just started messing around with it. I'm 95% sure the logic board is bad in it. I'd really like to get it up and running again without spending a fortune to fix it.

Regardless, it is in pristine condition and will hopefully run like a champ once I order a new (replacement / used) logic board. :)

bearsloft

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2012

Use a suction cup (or a CLEAN plunger) to remove the glass cover, undo some screws, lift up LCD, install ssd, redo all screws.

I will consider doing this. We just got a new 27" but it has not 'replaced' our White 24". Currently the wife and I have desks side by side and she's using the old imac.

It's not doing too well either. It's been running solely on the external for about a year. The internal is dead and the whole thing runs like molasses in Alaska. It's slightly, oh so slightly better now that we aren't sharing it. As in her account is the only one actually open and she pretty much only uses it for email and Safari.

Still I'm interested in replacing the internal HD with a SSD, breathing new life into it, and keeping it running for a few more years if possible.

Thanks

fossen

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2010
Yep. My early-2008 lost the hard drive a year or two back, but I replaced it and it's been fine since.

I'm waiting on a late-2012 27", but have handed down the 24" to my wife (and her 20" 2008 goes to the kids). It's still running strong, if a bit slowly. The major problem was running out of memory (it's at 4GB) when I was running the leak-a-riffic Remote Desktop and Photoshop.

FuriousGreg

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2011
Late 2008 3.2. Running great. I will admit though that one month after my AppleCare ran out the 8800GX burned out. I took it in to the Apple Store and they traced it back to the motherboard so I was expecting to have to pay or get a new machine but the guy said "It's only a month or so passed and you've had AppleCare on your last few Macs so we'll just cover the repairs" They replaced the MB, graphics card and they saw a little banding on the screen so replaced that too, all for free. :)

In any case it's still running great and i plan on giving it to a friend now that my new 27" arrived. The 24"s were/are solid machines.

mlsusa

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012

Just got around to doing this. Between swapping out the drives, reinstalling OSX, and migrating some data, the whole process took a few hours so time with the new setup has been limited so far. But I've been quite impressed with what I've seen. I put in a 512gb Samsung 830 so not the fastest of the bunch but definitely night and day when compared to the factory-installed HD.

Boogsephine

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Just got around to doing this. Between swapping out the drives, reinstalling OSX, and migrating some data, the whole process took a few hours so time with the new setup has been limited so far. But I've been quite impressed with what I've seen. I put in a 512gb Samsung 830 so not the fastest of the bunch but definitely night and day when compared to the factory-installed HD.

Did you keep your factory installed drive in there as well as put in the SSD or just replace the OEM one? I put in one of my extra sATA hard drives in my 2007 while trying to diagnose the problem but would much rather have a SSD in there once I get the logicboard replaced.

mlsusa

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
Did you keep your factory installed drive in there as well as put in the SSD or just replace the OEM one? I put in one of my extra sATA hard drives in my 2007 while trying to diagnose the problem but would much rather have a SSD in there once I get the logicboard replaced.

Just replaced the OEM one. First time I've opened up a Mac so I kept it simple for my skill/experience level.

UberGTO

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2013
Indiana
Still using my early 2008 24" iMac. It hasn't been a flawless experience. 1 month in the OEM HD took a dump on me, but instead of taking it in I replaced it myself. Well about a month ago that one started to go as well. 2 years ago the SuperDrive went out as well, but it was used to mass produce DVD's full of family photos for everyone in my crazy extended family so its not a real surprise. Also if you look real hard in the right color and know what your looking for you can see I played a Shaman in WoW for much longer than I should of. Almost impossible to see though.

Been good to me overall, but its getting time to replace it. Most likely going to get a top of a line 27" soon to replace it.

icemantx

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2009
Anyone put SSD in place of SuperDrive?

I am thinking about swapping out my SuperDrive for a Crucial M4 256GB SSD in my Early 2009 2.93GHz 24" iMac. Has anyone performed this upgrade? I am wondering if I should get 128 or 256 to go along with the 2TB HDD already installed. 256GB would be if I put my iphoto library on the SSD but not sure if that will make much of a difference to just the apps and OS on the SSD and get the 128GB.

Thoughts?

Jeff

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.