Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
That's true. The game's been repackaged for Mac and yet it seems that none of the listed Mac graphics cards can handle the game on it's ideal settings :p

I wonder how it plays an a newer Mac Pro tower?

Not much better. The Mac Pros have 3 generation old cards, aka radeon 5000 series. Although the 5870 beats the 6970M in the iMac by a fair margin, it's still considered weak by todays gaming standards.

ee13lbp

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2012
Wow! So it looks good and plays well on your 2010 iMac? I wonder why I'm getting so many graphical glitches on my 2012 Mac mini? Maybe it has something to do with the mini's intel graphics card? Despite the cards relative power, maybe it's just not fully compatible? The funny thing is during parts that take place in dungeons or caves the graphical glitches go away :confused:

Have you tried playing in bootcamp? If there is incompatibility with the hd4000 on OSX it will probably not occur on windows.

And yes, the mini is definitely not a gaming machine, but it has one very nifty trick up its sleeve and that is the size of it. I always set it under the tv (in less than 5 mins) and I am able to play games at better graphics and resolution a than my ps3 :)

Philalbe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2010
Greater Boston Area
Have you tried playing in bootcamp? If there is incompatibility with the hd4000 on OSX it will probably not occur on windows.

And yes, the mini is definitely not a gaming machine, but it has one very nifty trick up its sleeve and that is the size of it. I always set it under the tv (in less than 5 mins) and I am able to play games at better graphics and resolution a than my ps3 :)

Trying it via bootcamp is a good idea. I wonder if the game is simply "wrapped" and still contains .exe commands?

I also like the idea of using the mini as a console. I never tried hooking it up to HDTV, but that would be awesome...especially with a wireless controller :)

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
One thing I like is that all my save games from the PC version can just be copied across and work in the Mac version!

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
I've noticed that after a random amount of play time, the sound will just stop.
Quitting and relaunching the game, will bring sound back, until it happens again after a while.

Anyone else having this issue or any workaround ?

Philalbe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2010
Greater Boston Area
I've noticed that after a random amount of play time, the sound will just stop.
Quitting and relaunching the game, will bring sound back, until it happens again after a while.

Anyone else having this issue or any workaround ?

I experienced that issue right out the gate. First time I played, the sound cut out after a few minutes. Did the same as you; closed it out and relaunched and everything was fine. I've read of it happening to a couple of others too. Not sure if there's a permanent fix? Are you experiencing any weird graphical glitches?

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
I experienced that issue right out the gate. First time I played, the sound cut out after a few minutes. Did the same as you; closed it out and relaunched and everything was fine. I've read of it happening to a couple of others too. Not sure if there's a permanent fix? Are you experiencing any weird graphical glitches?

Not really, no graphical glitches that I've noticed, so far (I'm not far into the game yet, though). It's just the sound that ceases randomly and a restart of the game is required. I've seen that was an issue on the windows version but it had to do with disabling the surround settings (according to the forums). I think it was eventually patched and fixed there. Oh well, I hope that a patch for the Mac is coming, too.

speedylomeli

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2011
South Lake Tahoe, CA
No go on mac

Hi. Last night (I'm sure like many others) I downloaded "The Witcher 2" from the Mac App Store. I'm using a 2012 Mac mini with 8GB ram and a 1920 x 1200 Asus monitor. I notice by default the game wants to use my monitors native resolution (or something close to it). This results in awesome looking graphics but very laggy performance even when specs are set to medium. I tried experimenting with other resolutions which helps with the smoothness of gameplay but sometimes made things look a little off (fat or stretched) maybe it's in my head:p I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good resolution. Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

Phil

So here is the deal.....Buy a cheap 500 dollar PC and play it at near max quality. I know you want to play it on you shiny looking mac mini, but it just plain suçks..... or just buy yourself a 4000 Mac Pro. I would suggest the earlier because why would anyone spend 4000 g's just for 1 game.

ee13lbp

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2012
So here is the deal.....Buy a cheap 500 dollar PC and play it at near max quality. I know you want to play it on you shiny looking mac mini, but it just plain suçks..... or just buy yourself a 4000 Mac Pro. I would suggest the earlier because why would anyone spend 4000 g's just for 1 game.

Not all of us are gaming supremacists who accept nothing but max settings. I play most games on medium, some even high, and I'm completely happy with the performance of the Mac mini in terms of games. Playing games a couple of settings lower than a similarity priced custom pc is, for me, a fine trade off for something I far more enjoy using on a day to day basis when I'm NOT playing games.

Philalbe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2010
Greater Boston Area
Not really, no graphical glitches that I've noticed, so far (I'm not far into the game yet, though). It's just the sound that ceases randomly and a restart of the game is required. I've seen that was an issue on the windows version but it had to do with disabling the surround settings (according to the forums). I think it was eventually patched and fixed there. Oh well, I hope that a patch for the Mac is coming, too.

If you haven't experienced any weird visual glitches yet, you'll probably be fine. I think it may have something to do with me trying to run the game with an intel graphics card as opposed to nvidia. Some parts of the game were worse than others. Even in the beginning the screen would flash pink once in awhile or a bush would seem to to be partially made up of black blocks. I've temporarily moved on to playing Skyrim via bootcamp (at native resolution and more modest settings it runs amazingly well). Hope you find a fix for your sound problem :)

Philalbe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2010
Greater Boston Area
Weird stuff...I think I've confirmed that the visual glitches I was experiencing have more to due with graphics card incompatibility than overtaxing of the GPU. When playing the game on my 2012 Mac mini it's riddled with constant graphical glitches that render it nearly unplayable. For the heck of it I installed the game on my underpowered 2010 MBA yesterday. I got a message that my video card may not be able to run the game due to lack of ram. Surprisingly however I am able to run the game, albeit at very low settings. My MBA has an nvidia chip and so far not a single visual glitch. It's pretty strange seeing a game as demanding as The Witcher 2 running on a MacBook Air :p

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Yes, 2010's MBA has an Nvidia dedicated gpu which should have all the technical properties required to run the game (even on lowest settings). Maybe its speed would be unacceptable but still it is compatible.

It is funny but I'm sure the game won't run properly on next years MBA models (e.g. 2011) as they have an intel integrated graphics, instead, which is not h/w compatible.

Dduval

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
Has anyone deleted the user.ini file? I was having issues where the option settings config wasn't changing or saving settings, deleted the user.ini file to reset it. Then I restarted the config settings, made my adjustments and the game runs MUCH better! And looks better...weird thing is it never generated a new user.ini file....

syrinxx

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2011
got my money back from apple cause this game runs like a big fat snake ...
imac mid 2011 12gb ram 3,4 ghz i7 ati 6970m 2gb
sorry but this client is a joke

PeeGee

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2008
Has anyone deleted the user.ini file? I was having issues where the option settings config wasn't changing or saving settings, deleted the user.ini file to reset it. Then I restarted the config settings, made my adjustments and the game runs MUCH better! And looks better...weird thing is it never generated a new user.ini file....

Tanks for the tip!
Could you please point to the location where the user.ini file was which you deleted?

Dduval

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
Tanks for the tip!
Could you please point to the location where the user.ini file was which you deleted?

It was under my user name folder / then applications / then witcher folder, then data/bin/config...

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Hi. Thanks for the quick response! I'll definitely check the temps. If it's a case of overheating I suppose I should close all unnecessary background applications as well.

If you're getting graphics artifacts, the solution isn't to turn down settings. I would take it in for warranty service at that point as long as it's still under warranty.

Nik73

macrumors regular
May 26, 2006
UK

I have the same problem Dduval and I've tried deleting the user.ini file, but no joy. The weird thing is that if I change the settings they seem to take effect, but still show some random ones in the config settings. It's hard to tell just what my settings are though. Weird.

wlossw

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I downloaded this game from the Mac app store a couple months ago... tried playing it yesterday. Oh my lord... completely unplayable on any settings, and I have a decent mac...

I also notice it is no longer available on the App store. What a SCAM! :mad:

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
The Witcher 2 runs perfectly on my mid-2011 3.4GHz iMac @ 2560x1440.
Don't know why it's not on MAS at the moment, but I'm sure it's not for technical reasons. Still on Steam and GOG.
Great game!

Hanno

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2013
Youtube Video Macbook Pro 2011

Hi! I made a short video of The Witcher 2 installed on my Macbook Pro 15" (early 2011) with OS X Mountain Lion.

See my specs and graphic settings in the discription of the video:
I don't have any lags or stutter when I play it. The lags in the video are because I used Quicktime to record it. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRnsLiliPQ0

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
The Witcher 2 runs perfectly on my mid-2011 3.4GHz iMac @ 2560x1440.
Don't know why it's not on MAS at the moment, but I'm sure it's not for technical reasons. Still on Steam and GOG.
Great game!
Follow up - it's back on MAS.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Hi! I made a short video of The Witcher 2 installed on my Macbook Pro 15" (early 2011) with OS X Mountain Lion.

See my specs and graphic settings in the discription of the video:
I don't have any lags or stutter when I play it. The lags in the video are because I used Quicktime to record it. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRnsLiliPQ0

What resolution were you using the time of the recording ? I tried to record the same game using quicktime but a full screen recording is too much for the hd to catch up, rendering the game unplayable. Other recording solutions didn't help much, either. Or maybe you are using an SSD so you can manage with the huge I/O ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.