Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Axmann

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2009
So I stupidly left my ipad in the car (in its box) in the car and it was decently cold outside. When I got in, it was pretty cold to the touch, but it turned on just fine and seemed to work fine.

Could that amount of cold hurt the batter or anything in the long run?

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
I dont think coldness can hurt your device but on the other hand, heat can do some damage to the battery.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
When I got the ipad mini on launch day via FedEx , it was very cold from traveling

Is fine

eelw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
Leaving it out in the cold wouldn't cause any problems. But turning it on before it's allowed to warm back up didn't help.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
The environmental requirements are listed on the Apple website for each of their products. I wont bother linking to the page since the page is easy to find on Apple's website with minimal effort.

Axmann

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2009
The environmental requirements are listed on the Apple website for each of their products. I wont bother linking to the page since the page is easy to find on Apple's website with minimal effort.
>Implying Apple gives fair temperature ranges

Apple could easily list a very small temperature range so as to reduce consumer liability/complaints.

And they would, too, because they also tell you that their product contains materials known to the state of California to cause cancer.

Axmann

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2009
>>Implying Apple regularly circumvents requirements to post accurate temperature ranges.
>>>Implying accurate temperature ranges are required by law or that anyone would check to see if it's accurate even if they were.

stuaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
How cold is cold?

My laptop and iPad regularly experience temperatures of -10c with little to no effect to them. (And that isn't really very cold).

Hell my iPod Classic (which has moving parts) stays in my glove box in my car and when that is not in the garage it gets even colder! and that is still going strong after 3 years....

Renzatic

Suspended
When it comes to computers, the colder they are, the better they run. Within reason, of course. I wouldn't take one out in -80 degree weather. But generally, they're at their best a little above the freezing point, and can run well up to 60 degrees C.

Keeping it in a freezing ass cold car overnight wouldn't do a single thing to it.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
>Implying Apple gives fair temperature ranges

Apple could easily list a very small temperature range so as to reduce consumer liability/complaints.

And they would, too, because they also tell you that their product contains materials known to the state of California to cause cancer.
Sitting on a chair can cause cancer.
Walking can cause cancer.
Coughing can cause cancer.
Sneezing can cause cancer.

Almost anything can cause cancer.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
When it comes to computers, the colder they are, the better they run. Within reason, of course. I wouldn't take one out in -80 degree weather. But generally, they're at their best a little above the freezing point, and can run well up to 60 degrees C.

Electronic devices perform exactly the same throughout their recommended temperature operating range. They do not run better at the cold end nor worse at the hot end of the range.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
About a week ago I had my iPhone out in 45 F playing music during a workout. At some point it actually shut itself off and would not turn back on. When I got in the car and turned the heat on it automatically turned itself back on. Not sure, but they may have built in thresholds at which the device powers down to protect itself similarly to how notebooks handle high heat.

mattfab

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2012
I have also wondered this too, because sometimes I leave my window open and my ipad is sometimes near the window overnight, and in the morning it can be very cold

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.