Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amad3U5

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
Sydney
I have one iPhone 3GS and just received my new iPod Touch 5. I only own one wall charger, and because the connectors are different in both of my devices, I found myself regularly having to switch the connectors around :mad:. I thought of buying another wall charger, but then I decided that it would be easier and cheaper just to buy a $3 USB splitter of Amazon, so that I can switch my devices around quickly, and even charge them simultaneously.

I just wanted to check if this would actually work, and if anyone has had any past experience with this kind of thing. :)

skippymac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Hampshire, UK
I expect it'd work but take a fairly long time to charge both devices at once... I'm a little confused about what you mean by splitter, is it a usb hub?

skippymac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Hampshire, UK
Should work fine, but you will have your 1 amp charger charging 2 devices so expect it to take a while to charge if you're charging them both at the same time. :)

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
Can I use a USB splitter to charge 2 iPhones from 1 socket?

I have/ recommend this:
PowerGen Dual Port USB 2.1A 10W AC Travel Wall Charger Designed for Apple and Android Devices- White
http://amzn.com/B0073FE1F0
9$
It works great. I charge my iPhone 5 and battery case with it separately. It also works with charging my iPhone 5 and iPod touch 5 at the same time. It is 2.1 amps of charging power which is great for charging 2 apple non-tablet devices at once.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.