Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Latino4Me

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2003
I wanted to check out my new iMac first and missed the chance to use setup assistant option. I wanted to reformat my drive and re-install Mountain Lion but I don't see recovery partition either by pressing command + R or by pressing alt/option during the boot.

I also tried to use a bootable USB stick of Mountain Lion created on my old iMac. The new iMac will see it, but when I select it during the boot, I get circle with line through it and I can't run it.

How can I get it done? How do I access the recovery? Why is it gone? Is it just me, or does anyone else noticed that problem? Thanks!

Latino4Me

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2003
Can you do Option+Command+R at startup chime and boot the recovery DMG from Apple's servers?

Thanks, I tried that but no, that doesn't work either.

Could anyone else confirm if they can access their recovery partition. Just to clarify, I have Fusion Drive 1TB, if that makes a difference.

I can see that it's there when using the terminal command "diskutil list" but I can't access it by any known key combination during boot. I can't use the install USB stick (maybe because 10.8.2 is different on this iMac?) Could that be downloaded from Apple and new stick created?

/dev/disk1
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk1
1: EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1
2: Apple_CoreStorage 999.3 GB disk1s2
3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk1s3
/dev/disk2
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: Apple_HFS Odysseus *1.1 TB disk2

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I can't use the install USB stick (maybe because 10.8.2 is different on this iMac?) Could that be downloaded from Apple and new stick created?

Yep... you new iMac uses a special build of 10.8.2. You can get it by following this process. Then use the DMG file you downloaded with this free app to make your USB installer.

Not sure what you have going on there, but command-r should boo to Recovery HD. :confused:

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Also if you clone a backup top a usb drive using carbon copy cloner and it sees you have no recovery partition, it will offer to create one. It worked that way on mine and then I was able to boot to it by just holding down OPT at boot.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
I wanted to reformat my drive and re-install Mountain Lion but I don't see recovery partition either by pressing command + R or by pressing alt/option during the boot.

Something else to try -- make sure you wait until after you hear the chime before pressing command -R. If you press it too soon or too late it won't work.

Yep... you new iMac uses a special build of 10.8.2. You can get it by following this process. Then use the DMG file you downloaded with this free app to make your USB installer.

There is no need for that. The OS X Recovery Disk Assistant I linked to above is directly from Apple and does the same thing with just a few clicks.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
There is no need for that. The OS X Recovery Disk Assistant I linked to above is directly from Apple and does the same thing with just a few clicks.

It is not the same thing at all. OP wanted to create a full installer USB key, and that is what I showed him how to do. What you linked just creates a Recovery HD on a 1GB USB key.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
It is not the same thing at all. OP wanted to create a full installer USB key, and that is what I showed him how to do. What you linked just creates a Recovery HD on a 1GB USB key.

I've used both and they do the same thing. Either method requires an existing Recovery HD. I believe the only difference would be if you wanted to create an installer for a different computer. I'm not sure if the recovery usb drive could be used on a different computer than it was created on, but it will allow you to reinstall OSX on the iMac it was created on, which is what he was asking.

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I've used both and they do the same thing. I believe the only difference would be if you wanted to create an installer for a different computer. I'm not sure if the recovery usb drive could be used on a different computer than it was created on, but it will allow you to reinstall OSX on the iMac it was created on, which is what he was asking.

I don't dispute that the recovery tool can be used. OP asked how to get a full installer USB key setup and that is what I showed him how to do. Either way you end up downloading the entire 4.7GB installer. I like to keep a full installer in case I need to reinstall while away from home for some reason. A 4.7GB DL over hotel wi-fi is not really going to cut it.

----------

I've used both and they do the same thing. Either method requires an existing Recovery HD. I believe the only difference would be if you wanted to create an installer for a different computer. I'm not sure if the recovery usb drive could be used on a different computer than it was created on, but it will allow you to reinstall OSX on the iMac it was created on, which is what he was asking.

I see you did a ninja edit there. Neither method mentioned requires an existing Recovery HD on the target drive.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
I see you did a ninja edit there. Neither method mentioned requires an existing Recovery HD on the target drive.

The presence of a Recovery HD on the source computer is needed to use either method. If the OP does have a problem with his Recovery HD, then neither of these methods will work.

His problem may just be with the wireless keyboard, though. I've had frustrations with all wireless keyboards trying to get into the Recovery HD and boot menu. If you don't time it just right, the power for the keyboard won't turn on in time to get it to come up.

If there is a genuine problem with the Recovery HD on his iMac, then it will probably require a trip to the Apple Store.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
The presence of a Recovery HD on the source computer is needed to use either method. If the OP does have a problem with his Recovery HD, then neither of these methods will work.

His problem may just be with the wireless keyboard, though. I've had frustrations with all wireless keyboards trying to get into the Recovery HD and boot menu. If you don't time it just right, the power for the keyboard won't turn on in time to get it to come up.

If there is a genuine problem with the Recovery HD on his iMac, then it will probably require a trip to the Apple Store.

You are mistaken. NO Recovery HD on the internal drive is required to use either of these methods. You can put a blank SSD or HDD in a Mac and boot to either method and it will work. I have done it myself and there are countless threads about it.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
You are mistaken. NO Recovery HD on the internal drive is required to use either of these methods. You can put a blank SSD or HDD in a Mac and boot to either method and it will work. I have done it myself and there are countless threads about it.

I think you are misunderstanding what I am saying. To create a new USB drive using either method, you have to be using a computer that currently has an existing Recovery HD. Both work by using an existing Recovery HD to create a new one. If one isn't present, you can't get started. Apple even writes that on the page for the installer. "Note: In order to create an external OS X Recovery using the OS X Recovery Assistant, the Mac must have an existing Recovery HD."

Once they're created, then yes, it can be used on a computer without a Recovery HD. But the OP is having a problem getting into his Recovery HD which indicates that he might have a problem with his Recovery HD. In that case, neither of these methods would work. If he can mount his Recovery HD, then he can do it.

Latino4Me

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2003
Also if you clone a backup top a usb drive using carbon copy cloner and it sees you have no recovery partition, it will offer to create one. It worked that way on mine and then I was able to boot to it by just holding down OPT at boot.

Thanks. I will try that too. Just to clarify. you also had no access to recovery partition at boot until to followed the above steps?

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
yes tried wired keyboard too

Just to make sure you are doing it right. You turn the computer on, then after hearing the chime you hold down Command R, then wait for the Recovery HD to boot.

Is this the order you are doing it? If so, what happens after? Is it just going ahead and showing the Apple logo and booting into OSX?

----------

Thanks. I will try that too. Just to clarify. you also had no access to recovery partition at boot until to followed the above steps?

I have the same iMac as you, with the fusion drive, and it works fine for me. When I press Command R, the Apple logo comes up for about 10 seconds and then the recovery options appear.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I think you are misunderstanding what I am saying. To create a new USB drive using either method, you have to be using a computer that currently has an existing Recovery HD. Both work by using an existing Recovery HD to create a new one. If one isn't present, you can't get started. Apple even writes that on the page for the installer. "Note: In order to create an external OS X Recovery using the OS X Recovery Assistant, the Mac must have an existing Recovery HD."

Once they're created, then yes, it can be used on a computer without a Recovery HD. But the OP is having a problem getting into his Recovery HD which indicates that he might have a problem with his Recovery HD. In that case, neither of these methods would work. If he can mount his Recovery HD, then he can do it.

I see now what you were trying to say. Yes OP has bit of a Catch 22 in that he can't even get the thing started to make a USB key. I thought you were saying a Recovery HD was required to USE the USB key.

----------

yes tried wired keyboard too

Do you happen to have a local Time Machine backup? You can option key boot to that and click restore. That will put the Recovery HD partition back.

Latino4Me

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2003
Just to make sure you are doing it right. You turn the computer on, then after hearing the chime you hold down Command R, then wait for the Recovery HD to boot.

Is this the order you are doing it? If so, what happens after? Is it just going ahead and showing the Apple logo and booting into OSX?

I have the same iMac as you, with the fusion drive, and it works fine for me. When I press Command R, the Apple logo comes up for about 10 seconds and then the recovery options appear.

Thank you and Weaselboy for all fine suggestions. I am trying them out now.
Once I follow the CMD+R during the boot, nothing special happens, just boots until the log in screen. I don't know what's wrong though as the recovery partition is there. I can use "diskutil list" and I see it. My iMac boots normally, I just can't access recovery partition.
I was able to use the apple utility to copy recovery partition to usb stick. I am guessing I will be able to boot and download the Mountain Lion (the version that will work on mine iMac)
Now I will try to download and install Mountain Lion to the USB and re-instal the system. Hopefully this will make the Recovery partition bootable at the start.

Again, thank you all. I appreciate all suggestions.
It's so frustrating not knowing how to invoke it. I will update you on the progress.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
So if you just hold OPT down at boot, there is no recovery disk icon shown?

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
nope, if there are other sticks or drives inserted, they will show, but no recovery

Maybe try the Carbon Copy Cloner Demo. It may work during the demo period enough to recreate this. Worth a try. Works with ML too.

Starting with version 3.4.4, Carbon Copy Cloner offers complete support for archiving, cloning, and recreating Lion's Recovery HD volume. See the "Cloning Lion's Recovery HD partition" section of CCC's Disk

Latino4Me

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2003

I am even more confused. I was able to use the recovery assistant to create Recovery USB stick, but when I boot and hold option key, it DOES NOT show up just like my "built in" recovery partition does not show up. This is really curious. Just to exclude keyboard shortcut error, I connected USB drive and rebooted again. The drive shows up but neither "buiit-in" or created usb recovery partition show up :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.