Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Norcal.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 7, 2012
I'm looking for new speakers to go with my new 27" iMac. I'm having trouble deciding between these two speakers. I'd like everyones feedback and suggestions.

Audyssey Wireless Speakers ($199) - http://reviews.cnet.com/pc-speakers/audyssey-wireless-speakers/4505-3179_7-35416696.html

Bose Companion 5 ($350) - http://www.bose.com/controller?url=...stems/computer_speakers/companion_5/index.jsp

Do you think the bose is worth $150 extra? And if neither of these, which would you suggest?

A few things i'm looking for in speakers:

Good design
High quality sound
Not bulky
Not too expensive ($350 is the absolute highest i'd go, and that's for the bose)

makinao

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2009
For under US$300 I'd lean towards something like these:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MR5mk2/
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Rokit5G2/

These two are popular and (relatively) cheap active monitors, and are used widely in small home recording studios. They sound much better than the "consumer audio" stuff I've heard, and are far from ugly. I'm about to get the big brother of the MR5mk2, the MR8mk2 for my own home studio setup. Its rather big though, so I need a large desk for it.

Norcal.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 7, 2012
For under US$300 I'd lean towards something like these:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MR5mk2/
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Rokit5G2/

These two are popular and (relatively) cheap active monitors, and are used widely in small home recording studios. They sound much better than the "consumer audio" stuff I've heard, and are far from ugly. I'm about to get the big brother of the MR5mk2, the MR8mk2 for my own home studio setup. Its rather big though, so I need a large desk for it.

Only problem I see with those are they seem too big/bulky. And i'm not really a fan of how they look. Not sure if i'd want them on my desk. Thanks though, I appreciate the suggestion.

Good design
High quality sound
Not bulky
Not too expensive

BishamonX

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2011
I'm looking for new speakers to go with my new 27" iMac. I'm having trouble deciding between these two speakers. I'd like everyones feedback and suggestions.

Audyssey Wireless Speakers ($199) - http://reviews.cnet.com/pc-speakers/audyssey-wireless-speakers/4505-3179_7-35416696.html

Bose Companion 5 ($350) - http://www.bose.com/controller?url=...stems/computer_speakers/companion_5/index.jsp

Do you think the bose is worth $150 extra? And if neither of these, which would you suggest?

Good design
High quality sound
Not bulky
Not too expensive ($350 is the absolute highest i'd go, and that's for the bose)

Save your money and stay away from Bose. Grab a pair of the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 or the Logitech Z623 speakers on sale and you'll be more than pleased. I'm not sure how they match up to the Audyssey, but without a dedicated woofer it shouldn't be close.

Exodist

macrumors member
Hey try you a set of Creative Inspire T10 Speakers. They are less then 50 USD, loud, clear, very good constructed and weighted good for their size. They are what I consider boderline studio quality without the bulk size. Dont misunderstand though, they are about 6 inches tall, 5 inches deep and 3 to 3.5 wide. They weight ruffly about a pound each as well. So you can turn the volume and tone knobs without pushing or moving them.

Here is a link.. If you like them then you saved yourself some money. If not then just sell them and try others. At 50 USD or less you dont have much to loose.

51DuZyY84aL._SL250_.jpg

20080427_buy_01.jpg

Norcal.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 7, 2012
Save your money and stay away from Bose. Grab a pair of the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 or the Logitech Z623 speakers on sale and you'll be more than pleased. I'm not sure how they match up to the Audyssey, but without a dedicated woofer it shouldn't be close.

Thanks for the reply, so you would say the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 has better sound than the bose companion 5?

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
I have the Bose Companion 5 and Logitech Z623, and have owned studio monitors and Klipsch speakers in the past, as well as Infinity Primus 150's for a while as my computer audio setup. Oh and Spica TC-50's. I know what good sound is. And Bose makes a fantastic product. You can find my review of the Bose C5's in the forums here under "Mac Peripherals" - I'm overall happy with them, but they're not perfect.

They are *EXTREMELY* well constructed. I'm talking metal and plastic polymer composites, and all aluminum control pod. It's Apple build quality and design.

Sound quality is very crisp and clear, but some of the mids are derived from the Acoustimass module (subwoofer) and throws it off a little but on some songs.

The Logitech Z623's easily win in the bass department. What's there with the Bose is low in frequency, Tthere, and controlled, but only about half as powerful as the Logitechs.

For overall music reproduction it's a toss up, but I think the Bose take the crown - but do so barely only for the sole reason that stereo music playback sounds "diffused" and sometimes a bit lost. Where as the Logitech's sound focused. For example, the Bose Companion 3's easily beat the Logitech's anyday. (Which I used to own, as well)

The build quality is so exceptional on the Bose however that I'm thinking about sticking with them and getting used to the sound characteristics. I haven't played a Movie yet but I heard they excel at that.

Last edited:

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
Well, the Bose are packed up and going back. The Logitechs definitely sound better for stereo, and the bass walks all over the Bose.

It's a shame too because I really wanted to like the Bose, given their design and clear highs and mids, but the imaging was way off and the bass was really disappointing.

So yes, go with either the Klipsch or Logitechs for your price bracket.

Another would be the Corsair SP2500, but don't like the separate control pod at all.

Norcal.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 7, 2012
I'm still pretty torn. My gut says go with the Bose. Maybe i'll buy both the bose and klipsch and return the one I don't like.

mpgolfpro

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
You know what they say..."No High's, No Low's, Must Be BOSE."

Bose speaker systems are simply the most over hyped, over priced product on the market. You are simply paying for the name. Uninformed consumers have supported Bose and helped them grow into the monster they are.

I highly recommend either those Mackie's or KRK's that were mentioned earlier. These are professional, studio quality speakers, for a much better price. Also, they aren't as big as they appear.

Otherwise, go to your local Guitar Center and look at/demo some other studio quality speakers.

If you are absolutely stuck on "computer specific" speakers (which again, I don't recommend and won't sound nearly as good as professional quality studio speakers), take a look at these, http://store.apple.com/us/product/H2268VC/B/harman-kardon-soundsticks-iii-21-channel-sound-system These sound surprisingly good. A friend has them and the sound is very clean and the sub adds some nice bass. They are also very fashionable.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
What's your budget? I have a pair of Audioengine A5's which are AMAZING! The A2's are Awesome from what I read aswell. Are you looking for a 2.0; 2.1 or 5.1 system?

brilor04

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2009
I've been through my share of speakers and I bought the Bose Companion 3 over 4 years ago in an attempt to finally find the perfect sound for me. Luckily the Bose hit the spot.

The mix of sound, in my opinion, is perfect. The mids, highs and bass are well proportioned and sound fantastic. I also have Bose Companion 2's at home. Not a ton of bass comes through these but for a small desk area they are great.

Unfortunately there isn't really a good place where you can go and test the speakers out. Most big box stores that may have them on display are in a big open environment and won't sound the same in your situation. It's kind of hit or miss. Think you'll like the Bose though! Good luck!

brilor04

Norcal.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 7, 2012
You know what they say..."No High's, No Low's, Must Be BOSE."

Bose speaker systems are simply the most over hyped, over priced product on the market. You are simply paying for the name. Uninformed consumers have supported Bose and helped them grow into the monster they are.

I highly recommend either those Mackie's or KRK's that were mentioned earlier. These are professional, studio quality speakers, for a much better price. Also, they aren't as big as they appear.

Otherwise, go to your local Guitar Center and look at/demo some other studio quality speakers.

If you are absolutely stuck on "computer specific" speakers (which again, I don't recommend and won't sound nearly as good as professional quality studio speakers), take a look at these, http://store.apple.com/us/product/H2268VC/B/harman-kardon-soundsticks-iii-21-channel-sound-system These sound surprisingly good. A friend has them and the sound is very clean and the sub adds some nice bass. They are also very fashionable.

I've heard alot of people claim that about Bose, but probably just as many claim the complete opposite. I'm pretty torn about that. I have had bose qc15 noise canceling headphones in the past and they were great, i've never tried or listened to the speakers though. The reason i'm stuck on "computer specific" speakers is because I have fairly limited space on my desk and I want them to be small enough to fit on each side of my computer. The Mackies and KRKs are too big/bulky for my desk, not to mention they're an eye sore (in my opinion).

----------

If you can, go for the Swan M50's, they'll probably crush the Bose in audio performance.

Where can you get those?

----------

What's your budget? I have a pair of Audioengine A5's which are AMAZING! The A2's are Awesome from what I read aswell. Are you looking for a 2.0; 2.1 or 5.1 system?

My budget is $350-400. I'd honestly rather not spend that much, but if I have to I might consider stretching it a bit, for the right system.

----------

My main two considerations are still the Klipsch Promedia 2.1, and the Bose Companion 5. But because of the negative responses i've heard about the Bose, I would probably buy another brand along with it and compare the two then return the one I don't like.

hatersgonnahate

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2010
SASD3Ilegacy_image_4-display_1.jpg

what i use,
StudioDock 3i - Active USB Monitors

no complaints, plus it has a RCA connection, aux in, headphone out and USB. :D

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
I've been through my share of speakers and I bought the Bose Companion 3 over 4 years ago in an attempt to finally find the perfect sound for me. Luckily the Bose hit the spot.

The mix of sound, in my opinion, is perfect. The mids, highs and bass are well proportioned and sound fantastic. I also have Bose Companion 2's at home. Not a ton of bass comes through these but for a small desk area they are great.

Unfortunately there isn't really a good place where you can go and test the speakers out. Most big box stores that may have them on display are in a big open environment and won't sound the same in your situation. It's kind of hit or miss. Think you'll like the Bose though! Good luck!

brilor04

Here's the thing, the Companion 5's are awful for music, but probably great for movies. I've owned Companion 2's, SoundStick II's, Companion 3 Series I and II, KRK ST-6's, Infinity Primus 150's and 8 inch subwoofer, Klipsch iFi (amazing system), and more, and honestly every Bose speaker system I've heard except for the Companion 5 is very good to fantastic with music.

The Bose Companion 5's - by their "surround sound" nature and design - had absolutely ZERO stereo image, and the bass was incredibly weak, where I remember the Companion 3's bass being tremendous overall.

Plus the build quality of the Bose Music Monitors is all solid aluminum, just like Macs, and really compliments them nicely. And the Companion 3 series II will sound fantastic if I recall correctly.

Just avoid the Companion 5's, and you'll be golden.

Also studio monitors from the likes of Behringer and KRK will sound better than any Bose or Klipsch ProMedia system, and provide quite a bit of bass for 2.0.

Honestly though, save some money and get the Klipsch system if you're thinking of getting the Bose. I nearly guarantee you it will have better sound.

EDIT: http://www.pcmech.com/article/bose-companion-3-series-ii-speakers-review/ Same sound maybe? But still go for the Klipsch.

Last edited:

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
To the OP, the Klipsch iFi will honestly match some studio monitors and sound *way* better than any Bose Companion system.

Amazon has some used in Like New condition -

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007XOHTU/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

Be thankful I'm sharing this link and info, as I would like to get another iFi system too :p

Check eBay for some Klipsch iFi's as well.

Just read the reviews on them, they're the best 2.1 system out there that's not a studio monitor setup or a higher end Hi Fi setup.

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
As per this guy: http://www.pcmech.com/article/bose-companion-3-series-ii-speakers-review/

The Klipsch ProMedia 2.1's and Bose Companion 3 Series II's have about the same "punch", which is a very good thing for the Bose.

Still, save your money and go for the Klipsch ProMedia's or iFi's over the Bose.

After the Companion 5's, I can't recommend Bose to anyone except for people looking for good noise canceling headphones.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.