Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kmanmx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
UK
I have a problem.

Just got a Note 2 and used my old sim from my IP5 with a Nano to MicroSIM converter Which means I can't receive iMessages. However, whenever friends and family who have iPhones send a message it is going to send it as an imessage, and i'm never going to receive it except on my iPad. I can't ask them all to turn imessage off, thats unfair.

So is there anyway to stop receiving iMessages on my account altogether and force people to send texts as normal ?

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
I have a problem.

Just got a Note 2 and used my old sim from my IP5 with a Nano to MicroSIM converter Which means I can't receive iMessages. However, whenever friends and family who have iPhones send a message it is going to send it as an imessage, and i'm never going to receive it except on my iPad. I can't ask them all to turn imessage off, thats unfair.

So is there anyway to stop receiving iMessages on my account altogether and force people to send texts as normal ?

Turn iMessage off on your iPad and anywhere else you have iMessage turned on. This should fix your problem unless you are one who encounters some of the nasty iMessage sign out bugs that Apple left in since the start. I find iMessage to be horrible and won't use it because it is not cross platform unlike virtually every other instant messaging service out there.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I have a problem.

You may also need to change your data allowance bolt on from iPhone to smartphone. (I did on O2). Enjoy your new phone.:)

I set my phone up using coldfustions guide on youtube, works really well, looks even better on a Note 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c39PXAr9_F8&list=WL610C96A551E5371A

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I have a problem.

If you are set up to receive iMessages sent to your cell number on any other iDevices, you need to disassociate that cell number from iMessage on all of your other devices.

See my response in another thread helping someone else with the same problem.

I found just turning Messages off on other devices/Macs wasn't enough--like you I still wasn't getting messages sent from other iPhones because they were still seeing my cell number as an iPhone. Once I removed my cell number from Messages on my iPad and Mac, I started getting those messages as SMS again.

kmanmx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
UK
Thanks guys. Seems to of worked.

I love Apple but man, Samsung have got some amazing features on the Note 2 that just destroys iOS. It still isn't quite as smooth, logical and polished.. but it's getting their, the extra functionality easily outweighs those small cons.

Of course - Apple hardware is still beautiful, but it matters far less than I thought. Using a Note 2 is just such a great experience.

Apple, I really like you, but you need to innovate..a lot !

mankar4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2007
USA
Thanks guys. Seems to of worked.

I love Apple but man, Samsung have got some amazing features on the Note 2 that just destroys iOS. It still isn't quite as smooth, logical and polished.. but it's getting their, the extra functionality easily outweighs those small cons.

Of course - Apple hardware is still beautiful, but it matters far less than I thought. Using a Note 2 is just such a great experience.

Apple, I really like you, but you need to innovate..a lot !

not to thread jack, but since your problem is solved, would you mind mentioning a few of these features? I am considering switching.

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
not to thread jack, but since your problem is solved, would you mind mentioning a few of these features? I am considering switching.

[ Note : Not the OP but recently got a Note 2 - thought will share my experience.]

It's not only the big features like S-Pen/Air View/Smart Stay/Multi Window stuff but also the little things that make it better. Mostly though it is just a great phone with great display and awesome battery life. It is also very smooth - I wasn't able to get it to lag at all. The 2GB RAM definitely seems to help a lot with multitasking.

Here are a few I find useful in day to day use.

• Plugging in head phones gives a quick access menu in notifications that lets you quick start apps like YouTube, Media Players etc. The blocking mode is great too - set it to block whatever you want during whatever time period - notifications, calls etc.
  • Just hovering over the phone lets you preview stuff like missed calls, weather, notifications, emails etc. Very convenient.
  • If you are reading or doing something that requires frequent idle time - the smart stay feature can track your eyes and let the screen stay on - works great.
  • Having a resizable video play in its own separate window over say a browser page that you can control independently of the video - that's just great when you need it.

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
What is great - Widgets ... Gosh they are great. Not even talking about lockscreen widgets, but home screen ones. Some make my daily life a lot easier. Train widgets, updating home/work trains based on geo location etc. and so msny more. Love it

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
[ Note : Not the OP but recently got a Note 2 - thought will share my experience.]

It's not only the big features like S-Pen/Air View/Smart Stay/Multi Window stuff but also the little things that make it better. Mostly though it is just a great phone with great display and awesome battery life. It is also very smooth - I wasn't able to get it to lag at all. The 2GB RAM definitely seems to help a lot with multitasking.

Here are a few I find useful in day to day use.

• Plugging in head phones gives a quick access menu in notifications that lets you quick start apps like YouTube, Media Players etc. The blocking mode is great too - set it to block whatever you want during whatever time period - notifications, calls etc.
  • Just hovering over the phone lets you preview stuff like missed calls, weather, notifications, emails etc. Very convenient.
  • If you are reading or doing something that requires frequent idle time - the smart stay feature can track your eyes and let the screen stay on - works great.
  • Having a resizable video play in its own separate window over say a browser page that you can control independently of the video - that's just great when you need it.

Do people actually use the last point, I believe the feature is called "Pop-up play"? I saw it when it first debuted, but I'm thinking more of real-world application. Do people actually use this?:confused:

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
Yea, probably. I've used youtube+browser in multiwindow, and I would use the pop up browser but I prefer chrome, so I don't.

bmt134

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
I use pop up video all the time. In fact I'm watching an episode of Mad Men while typing out this reply.

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
Do people actually use the last point, I believe the feature is called "Pop-up play"? I saw it when it first debuted, but I'm thinking more of real-world application. Do people actually use this?:confused:

I find that it's not something I use regularly - but when I am watching YouTube or one of the video podcasts and my wife asks me to do a quick check on a recipe - it is very useful to be able to quickly switch the video to popup mode, go to the browser and return back to the video with no interruption or extra clicks. So yeah it is useful.

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD

Umm. I've not used this so maybe I'm missing some detail but why would hovering over the phone mean show me the weather or email? Do you have to learn a lot of hidden tricks?

hmmm.... I want to check the weather, where do I go?... Thats right I hover the phone to check that. Next you'll be hovering the clock to see your IMs.:confused:

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
Umm. I've not used this so maybe I'm missing some detail but why would hovering over the phone mean show me the weather or email? Do you have to learn a lot of hidden tricks?

hmmm.... I want to check the weather, where do I go?... Thats right I hover the phone to check that. Next you'll be hovering the clock to see your IMs.:confused:

Perhaps you misunderstand. Let me explain. I have my phone hooked up to my corporate Exchange account which enforces that my phone has a passcode on it and it locks itself after 45 seconds idle time. So every time my notification LED is lit I need to wake up the phone, enter my passcode and pull down the notification drawer to check if I have anything of interest to attend to.

What this feature does is lets you hover over the phone (while it is on your table, still locked and sleeping) to quickly show things of interest without even touching the phone. This is configurable in settings - what you see or if the feature itself is enabled or not.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
Question.. did you trade your iPhone 5 to someone for their Note 2?

I'm wanting a Note 2 and current have a Black 32GB iPhone 5 on Verizon.

Wondering if my 32GB iP5 for a Note 2 is a feasible trade.

TFJ4

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2011
I had the Note 2, coming from an iPhone 5, also had a Nexus 4 for a few weeks. The Note 2 is just too big, the Nexus 4 and GS3 are all perfectly nice phones but the Note 2 prevents a lot of one handed use. Also I hate Touchwiz, Nexus 4 was much smoother even though they are very close in CPU/GPU. Just my 2 cents for all the people who want to get a Note 2.

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
How are some of you swapping out for the Note 2 with iphone 5s under contract? I would like to do it myself and thoughtg about adding another line, but since the data SHARE plan costs $35 per line, that would hurt a bit.

RMXO

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2009
I had the Note 2, coming from an iPhone 5, also had a Nexus 4 for a few weeks. The Note 2 is just too big, the Nexus 4 and GS3 are all perfectly nice phones but the Note 2 prevents a lot of one handed use. Also I hate Touchwiz, Nexus 4 was much smoother even though they are very close in CPU/GPU. Just my 2 cents for all the people who want to get a Note 2.

TouchWiz has improved very much but I understand what you're saying. The best part about TW are the Widgets.

There are alternative launchers like Nova & Apex. I personally used Apex. Of course there are more launchers to choose from if you don't like either.

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
After 3 calls and talking to the last lady Robin that helped me, I have a note II coming after only a year in my contract. Actually June/July 2012 is when the contract started on a 4S then put a 5 on that line, and they allowed me to upgrade to the Note II. :) Had to get manager approval but it worked. She is going to call me back to put more discounts on my account tomorrow because the manager only discounted the phone to the $299 price. She is going to discount my bill to help offset that cost! :)

Woot. Hope I like it. I like the iphone 5, but I am seriously bored with iphones. So the 5 will go to my Mom that has my older 4S and her 4S will be excahnged due to battery issues, under warranty, and might keep it as a backup or sell it.

kmanmx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
UK
After 3 calls and talking to the last lady Robin that helped me, I have a note II coming after only a year in my contract. Actually June/July 2012 is when the contract started on a 4S then put a 5 on that line, and they allowed me to upgrade to the Note II. :) Had to get manager approval but it worked. She is going to call me back to put more discounts on my account tomorrow because the manager only discounted the phone to the $299 price. She is going to discount my bill to help offset that cost! :)

Woot. Hope I like it. I like the iphone 5, but I am seriously bored with iphones. So the 5 will go to my Mom that has my older 4S and her 4S will be excahnged due to battery issues, under warranty, and might keep it as a backup or sell it.

You will love it. I have had every iPhone and am too very bored. Note 2 size will shock you at first, but you will soon realize it's awesome!

Pick up SwiftKey 3 keyboard, it's a fantastically quick keyboard you can go wrong every single word and it corrects it with shockingly good accuracy. The whole phone is just brilliant, and then it just keeps surprising me just when in think I got it all figured out!

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
You will love it. I have had every iPhone and am too very bored. Note 2 size will shock you at first, but you will soon realize it's awesome!

Pick up SwiftKey 3 keyboard, it's a fantastically quick keyboard you can go wrong every single word and it corrects it with shockingly good accuracy. The whole phone is just brilliant, and then it just keeps surprising me just when in think I got it all figured out!

Thanks for the advice. I will get that keyboard once I get the phone. I had a s3 and liked it a lot. I hope this one works good and also works well with my car. We will see!

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
Perhaps you misunderstand. Let me explain. I have my phone hooked up to my corporate Exchange account which enforces that my phone has a passcode on it and it locks itself after 45 seconds idle time. So every time my notification LED is lit I need to wake up the phone, enter my passcode and pull down the notification drawer to check if I have anything of interest to attend to.

What this feature does is lets you hover over the phone (while it is on your table, still locked and sleeping) to quickly show things of interest without even touching the phone. This is configurable in settings - what you see or if the feature itself is enabled or not.

I did misunderstand, I thought you meant the phone icon, not the device. That is a cool feature. I think the iphone will show you things of interest on the lockscreen without typing in your code but you have to press the home button.

However as a security professional, these things are also usually against policy as they give information without authentication.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.