Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
When I click on Application folder in the dock, is there an Free App that will help it look nicer and more managable?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Launchpad?

What about Alfred to launch applications?

And since clicking the Applications icon in the Dock can bring you to the Applications folder, you could sort it yourself, but be aware, that putting some applications into sub folders in there might break something.

And just out of curiosity, what is so unmanageable and not nice?

aaagat111

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2005
St. Louis, MO
You have various sort and display options within Finder (the application used to browse files and directories) to suit your need here.

Go to your applications folder (so you see all your icons) and try the following:
  1. On the top of the finder window you should see a toolbar similar to my attached image
  2. Use the first set of 4 icons to switch the view between icons, list, column, and coverview. I would recommend the 2nd icon for the apps folder, since the list is easiest to browse.
  3. Then hit the 'item arrangement' icon to the right of the gear icon. Here you can sort your files. I would recommend sorting Apps by name.
  4. You can click the gear Icon, and choose 'Show View Options' to get even more options relating to font, icon size, and other options

Let me know if this helps / what you were talking about

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-12-26 at 3.24.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-26 at 3.24.36 PM.png
    26.5 KB · Views: 52

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
You have various sort and display options within Finder (the application used to browse files and directories) to suit your need here.

Go to your applications folder (so you see all your icons) and try the following:
  1. On the top of the finder window you should see a toolbar similar to my attached image
  2. Use the first set of 4 icons to switch the view between icons, list, column, and coverview. I would recommend the 2nd icon for the apps folder, since the list is easiest to browse.
  3. Then hit the 'item arrangement' icon to the right of the gear icon. Here you can sort your files. I would recommend sorting Apps by name.
  4. You can click the gear Icon, and choose 'Show View Options' to get even more options relating to font, icon size, and other options

Let me know if this helps / what you were talking about

Ok thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.